SMB observations thoughts on newer builds and or millhouse works

• I know myself and others have had issues with connecting to windows shared folders intermittently or depending on hardware or build.

one of the things that seam to work is instead of looking for the computer name is use the ip address.

that works most of the time. more of these problems seam to occur when you use a different workgroup name than the default "WORKGROUP"

what I found out the other night is when you use putty to connect to the libreelec device and use these commands

cd /storage/.config

cp samba.conf.sample samba.conf

nano samba.conf

to create the samba.conf file and edit and save the workgroup name

I have been able to see my windows shares by computer name as well as ip.

but the only other thing I found was that with the newer builds you may need a username and password for the computer

which is easy to add under the user accounts and then just run netplwiz.exe and uncheck user must enter password to log in

How To Automatically Login To Windows, Without Typing Any Password | Digital Citizen

seems to work for me.....

any way some of the smb stuff might be done in a build?

thanks for input

Andy

• I suppose the default workgroup should be something that can be set via the LibreELEC Settings addon so that there is no need to edit the Samba server config - that's something we could add as a feature in a future build.

but the only other thing I found was that with the newer builds you may need a username and password for the computer

Do you mean you need a password to access the LibreELEC Samba server - I haven't experienced that issue myself - or that you now need a password to access your non-LibreELEC Samba servers when accessing them via Kodi? When using Kodi with Samba4 to access Samba servers (ie. "Everyone" access on Windows), anonymous access is known to be broken - presumably this is an upstream Kodi issue. The solution is to use a username/password (add an entry to /storage/.kodi/userdata/passwords.xml).

• yes sir the password seems to be needed for accessing shares on a win 7 ultimate machine. one it was added when you add a smb location of files it works. I currently have admin, me, everyone,guest and network under share with.... and yes just using a workgroup not "homegroup" just more info

• Official Post

There is also the SMB service settings in Kodi's GUI where you can enter/change the WORKGROUP name. I use NFS for 99.5% of Kodi connects which works fine, browsing through the network for any SMB connection usually fails, even with the correct workgroup name set.