Posts by saltwaterfishlover

little troubleshooting

in LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20170521215340-#0521-g0b589ed.tar

wifi works but it seems video has issues

in LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20170522220032-#0522-g0b589ed.tar

network dont work

sometime before LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20170507210620-#0507-gbdb3738.tar

the video playback started to fail.

Hello all

I have an asus x751ma laptop that I run kodi on. I normaly try to run milhouse builds currently LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0-Milhouse-20170618222919-%230618-g29c2544.tar

it has a ralink built in wireless and I tried a lynksys ae1000 usb wireless.

both dont show on the latest couple of builds.

any thoughts. or more info you may need?

thanks

ANdy

I know myself and others have had issues with connecting to windows shared folders intermittently or depending on hardware or build.

one of the things that seam to work is instead of looking for the computer name is use the ip address.

that works most of the time. more of these problems seam to occur when you use a different workgroup name than the default "WORKGROUP"

what I found out the other night is when you use putty to connect to the libreelec device and use these commands

cd /storage/.config

cp samba.conf.sample samba.conf

nano samba.conf

to create the samba.conf file and edit and save the workgroup name

I have been able to see my windows shares by computer name as well as ip.

but the only other thing I found was that with the newer builds you may need a username and password for the computer

which is easy to add under the user accounts and then just run netplwiz.exe and uncheck user must enter password to log in

How To Automatically Login To Windows, Without Typing Any Password | Digital Citizen

seems to work for me.....

any way some of the smb stuff might be done in a build?

thanks for input

Andy

ok here are some specs...
    laptop is a asus x751ma
    8gb memory 320gb hard drive (libreelec is only thing installed on drive) (lot fasted booting this way than usb)
    Linksys EA3500 Router with latest firmware. connecting wirelessly to laptop on 2.4 ghz network
    internal wi/fi nic is a realtek rtl8111

transfer rate was 2.2mb/s

takes about 2 minutes to transfer the 220mb update file to the laptop 12 inches from router

You don't mention what hardware you're using, or if its ethernet or Wifi.

If you running off of a SD card, then that is more than likely the issue, especially if it's not a class 10. Also if it's an older RPi (Model A/B) then you've only got a small CPU.

Also if it's an RPi, then you're limited to 10/100 ethernet.

As always - the more information you provide, the easier your resolution.

I'll get you hardware in a bit . been busy with other projects. should be tonight tho......

Ok got an odd question on network speeds.
    playing movies work fine no buffering issues.
    the problem is when I try to copy a movie or audio book to the drive running libreelec.
    it seems to be very slow, like an hour for a 2gb movie.
    but if I boot the machine to windows it takes a few minutes any thoughts?
    happens on a laptop and desktop

thanks
    Andy

reply from milhouse on the kodi forums

The error is:Code:

Code
    20:10:38 T:140185694095104   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://GAMES/'
                                                unix_err:'16' error : 'Invalid argument'

It's not always clear what causes this error.

Have you tried the usual, ie. rebooting your smb server?

Is your smb server based on Windows (which version - is it Windows 10?) or is it a NAS (Synology etc.)?

If your server is a Windows server/PC then some registry changes may be worth trying: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1060307

One other thing I've read is that it helps if all your shares are within WORKGROUP (even when hosted on different physical machines).

from me:
    machine is a windows 7 pro. file and print sharing enabled no passwords.
    I changed the registry settings and changed the public settings per HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 7 and in home and work setting I changed to let windows manage homegroup connections tho am not in a home group rebooted and it works

thanks for the directions and what to do.....
    tho its still weird it works with openelec and not libreelec. but.... such is the world of puters

and no fusion

I don't think fusion has anything to do with adding a network location.

Assuming you want to add videos, What I do, is add a new network location, using the ip address, then fill in boxes under smb with user name & password. Once that is added, browse to add video files.

whats weird is if I install openelec connect to my wifi the go to movies and add location, windows smb it shows my network name and workgroup click on the name it then shows compueters click on mine my share and life is good.
    if I use libreelec I connect to my wifi the go to movies and add location, windows smb it shows my network name and workgroup click on the name it then says invalid argument
    its something with libre but no clue....

if I type in a location smb:\\ fred\sharelocation it works

thanks for that thought tho may try it

ok am new to all this stuff but have been using openelec for a while.
    here is my issue
    fresh install of openelec with kodi everything works fine.
    fresh instal of libreelec 2 different downloads I can set it up but when I go to ad my video location via smb I get invalid argument.
    yes I set up open and libre identically same network name static ip. I can see the device from windows but when I go into the add smb when it shows the network name ( shows 2) games and workgroup when I click on games I get the message.
    I had installed libre I think 1 update ago and everything worked. (was last week) if I install openelec and use the millhouse libre beta it still works (just tried again and dont work)
    but if I install the libre release and update to millhouse still dont work.

thanks
    Andy

correction only if I am using openelec do things work. I thought it was working when I went from openelec to libreelec but I just tried and it dont work.
    what log might be helpful