[TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

• I compared the clip on Samsung KS8500, nVIDIA Shield, Minix U9-H, Mecool M8S Pro and internal players on Samsung KS8000/JS8500 TVs. I didn't see any obvious flicker or macroblocking in the skies in any of the scenes.

Thank you very much for testing.
    It really seems like a hardware defect in my box then... I have no other explanation. I'm not imagining things... ^^

However, I did notice fine chevron like almost transparent vertical lines in some of the sky scenes.

Those are definitely the vertical lines we mentioned.

• @jf17

Are You an eagle eye ?

I watched a lot of 4k demo videos using my android 905x box, ATV, internal TV player etc. an I didn't see anything like You.

Maybe my eyes are to bad ?

• I know it must seem like it but trust me, you would see this too.

It's not a hint of a subtle thing that nobody would notice...

For instance, I admit that the vertical lines are subtle in most content. They become obvious in large, bright, smooth areas.

But those artifacts I see in the Samsung demo are on a different scale.
    You're immediately annoyed.

I don't want you guys to think I'm mad so I took a video of it...
    Have a look:
    20170629_175231.mp4 - Google Drive

At least the flicker should be visible in the video.

• I see testing 8 is out is it safe to use?

It's tagged, but a build isn't yet uploaded (untested). It will be shortly.

Wow, that's very severe. I get nothing like that, and I still have no idea about how to address it. Long shot, but are there any settings that are different on this hdmi input than the one you used with the bluray player (or internal player)?

• No, I used the same input. I also tested all 4 HDMI inputs with "HDMI deep color" on/off (different, untouched HDR picture mode presets as well)...

I cannot really expect you to address something that only I experience - I understand that. ;)

I am wondering if maybe my power supply is the root cause, but then why would it cause flicker and macroblocking only on very specific videos...

Pure desperation, I know. :rolleyes:
    I already tried a different power outlet, different HDMI cables, fresh install with default settings...
    Definitely running out of ideas.

Unfortunately I know nobody else who has an S905X box that I could test...

• I cannot really expect you to address something that only I experience - I understand that. ;)
    I am wondering if maybe my power supply is the root cause, but then why would it cause flicker and macroblocking only on very specific videos...

Pure desperation, I know. :rolleyes:

I do only have an 'old' plasma 1080p 42gt60 screen to test on, but my Nexbox A95X S905X do not show these problems on my television. Just my 2 cents.

• All my 1080p content is fine too.

Your TV only understands 1080p so I assume the player downscales 2160p?

It looks like the player is downscaling indeed, as my screen only accepts 1080p at 8 and 10bits. I played your samsung 2160p demo on my 1080p plasma and the picture is great, without macroblocking and flickering. I sat on my knees in front of the screen staring at the blue in between the clouds but I can not see any problem.

• Further experimental AML S912 updates using John's amlogic-3.14-y-Nougat Kernel and Kodi Leia Alpha1:

The 3GB S912 modded device trees are now included in the following directory:

Index of /LE-9.x-S912-Nougat-WIP/

GitHub - wrxtasy/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI

I tried on a H96 Pro 3gb but it cannot start.

Error in mount_storage: mount_common Could not mount LABEL=LIBRELEC_DISC

Is there OK if the fat partition only contains kernel and system and the dtb I copied?

I mean no aml autoscript or s905 autoscript needed?

Edit:

I tried with autscripts from kszaq's LE912 without success...

Edited once, last by Pelican (June 29, 2017 at 11:04 PM).

• I didn't see anything close to like what you have in your video clip. I definitely don't get that flickering. Is this a HDR TV and is it really this dark?

• jd17: I tried Testing7 with your Samsung demo and it plays fine. I watched 3 times from 30-40 cm distance and can't see those artifacts or flickers as you described. So it should be your device.

The only fault was the top of the rainbow around 1:10 and one horizontal line around 1:24 on the left of the sky.

The interesting thing is the devel20170430 LE 7.0.3 could play very similar.

It plays fine all the BT2020 videos at least on my non HDR tv. All the LE 8 kszaq version plays them washed out, bad black-level.

Edited 6 times, last by Pelican (June 29, 2017 at 11:14 PM).

• Is this a HDR TV and is it really this dark?

Yes, it's an LG OLED65B6V and no, the phone's camera cannot cope with the high contrast.

Thank you all for testing!
    I think I heard enough voices now to convince me that there is something wrong with my box...

The only thing left trying is Android.
    Do you know if there is a Nougat build out there that I could flash on my Mini M8S II?

• First thing I would try to change the power adapter. Some box comes with awful ones...

The official firmware is v1.15 (2017.06) Yandex.Disk I haven't tried it because I flashed LE to my box.

On 4pda there is an android 7.1 image too.

Edited once, last by Pelican (June 30, 2017 at 9:34 AM).