Black screen, but only after selecting Install

• Hello,

I've got a weird one where I think I know the root cause, but I want to run this by everyone.

I would like to install LibreELEC on a former "low cost atom server" Acer Aspire EasyStore H340. It has an Nvidia Video card installed.

Now, a bit of background. This computer doesn't actually have a VGA port on it, only a header to connect a PCB to get the video signal motherboard. I do not have this connector currently. As well, there is no means to change the default video device in the bios.

I can boot to the USB stick, but I have a weird issue. I can boot up and run the live install. However, the "run" and "install" options just take me to a black screen. The computer hasn't frozen, as the numlock still works. But there is no picture.

My running theory is that the install is using the wrong video device, but, as I don't have an adapter I can't test that.

A) Is it possible to do an install to the Hard Drive via the live mode?

B) Any thoughts on changing the video device/mode?

Thanks!

• if we could believe this: Acer Aspire EasyStore H340-UA230N NAS server Specs - CNET

it's:

Graphics Processor Intel GMA 950 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0

Which is the absolute minimum to run Kodi without!! hardware decoding. Even with HW-decoding you need something better.

I believe you can believe that! :)

Now, important things to note is that it currently has 2GB of Ram, and I'm not using the onboard video card. As for performance? When it is running the live version it works "acceptably well".

Which exact Nvidia gfx card is this about? It's possible you need an alternative build with older 304.xx drivers instead of the now 340.xx legacy drivers.

I thought of that, but, the question would be why the Live mode works, but not the installer?

Does anyone know of a way to install via the live version to circumvent the installer?

• The installer has an initial video check, which probably does not cover 100% of the video card spectrum.

You could first install some older version without these hiccups, and then upgrade directly to the new version.

I'll take a poke around for the older versions. I liked how lightweight this is, so I'm hoping this does the trick for me. :)

• Official Post

The installer (blue background, grey boxes, etc.) runs on the framebuffer driver. Kodi itself runs in Xorg which needs proper GPU drivers. It's entirely possible to see the installer and not see Kodi. In theory there is no difference between Kodi in Xorg in Live mode and normal mode.