SMB2/3

• Hi All,

I have 3 Raspberry PI's connecting via SMB to an ubuntu server for my media. All PI's are running LibreElec 8.0.1.
    I decided to disable SMB1 on my Linux server and my Windows PC's still connected fine, however all of my PI's failed to connect to and SMB shares until i re-enabled SMB1.

Should LibreElec support SMB2/3? if so any idea where i enable it?

thanks in advance

Dave

• I read this wrong, though you meant LibreELEC server side. It already supports SMB2/3, although a client might choose SMB1.

As far as I know, the SMB support in Kodi only supports SMB1. You can however mount using the kernel (i.e. the mount command or create a systemd unit), specifying the "vers=3.0" option.

• Official Post

Kodi depends on smbclient which is obtained from the version of Samba installed in the OS. LE is currently using Samba 3.6.x and the first version which supports SMB2/3 connections is Samba 4.1 (current release 4.6) so unless you create your own custom image Kodi will only support NT1 (SMB1) connections. We've been investigating what's required to move up to a newer Samba version in Kodi but since SMB is full of implementation quirks we've discovered as many problems as benefits. There is no plan to bump Samba in LE 8.0 but there are tentative thoughts for a mid-year 8.2 release that bumps a small number of major packages and it might happen then.