OE 7.01 to LE 8.01 - clean install or update ?

• After updating from OE 7.01 to 8.0, I lost my Samba share connection. It kept asking for a login and password and I don't use them. It seems this new version of OE uses a different Samba file or something and it requires editing which is beyond my knowledge. I was told to do a fresh install instead of an upgrade. Instead, I went back to OE 7.01 and SMB shares work again.

If I switch to LE, can I do a manual upgrade from OE 7.01 to LE 8.01 without having issues with Samba shares ?

Intel NUC (3rd gen i5)
    Wired gigabit home network
    Windows 10 Desktop acting as a media server

• A fresh install is possibly necessary when the system partition has become too small since the last couple of releases.
    #1 to do: make a full backups, use the built-in Backup/Restore tool in the Settings add-on.

You can testdrive LibreELEC running on a USB stick and see if your Samba setup works to your liking.

• A fresh install is possibly necessary when the system partition has become too small since the last couple of releases.
    #1 to do: make a full backups, use the built-in Backup/Restore tool in the Settings add-on.

You can testdrive LibreELEC running on a USB stick and see if your Samba setup works to your liking.

I installed the latest generic version of LE on a USB stick. When booting from this on my Intel NUC, will it allow me to run LE from the stick without installing it ?

thanks

• There is a Live option in the installer itself, but it's not meant as a permanent/full installation of LibreELEC. Installing LE as a full setup onto a 2nd USB stick is also not preferable IMO. USB sticks (and SD cards) can wear out in the end because of the database writes by Kodi. So it's better to install/upgrade to LE 8.x once you're ready.

• There is a Live option in the installer itself, but it's not meant as a permanent/full installation of LibreELEC. Installing LE as a full setup onto a 2nd USB stick is also not preferable IMO. USB sticks (and SD cards) can wear out in the end because of the database writes by Kodi. So it's better to install/upgrade to LE 8.x once you're ready.

I just want to try LE before installing it on my Intel NUC's SSD. I am interested to see if my SMB shares are accessible.

• I installed OE 8.0.1 and LE 8.0.1 on 2 USB sticks and ran them one at a time in Live mode on my Intel NUC. The LE worked great and accessed my SMB shares. The OE failed to connect and froze up solid which required me to power down the NUC by holding the pwr button down. I'll give them time to straighten it out but I may just be migrating to LibreELEC.

Stay Tuned

• So, LibreELEC works great and OpenELEC fails. And now you are going to wait until OpenELEC fixes stuff that should have been working in the first place. Just like a whole bunch of other stuff that the OpenELEC developer (there is no 'they' nor a dev team in OE anymore) didn't bother to test at all before the grand 8.0 release. Hence the 2nd (un)necessary update that OE requires within just a couple of weeks.

Sure. Whatever you want, mate. :)