Overclock Pi3 for h.265?

• Hi guys. Sorry if this has been answered. I already know that the pi cannot hardware decode h.265 files.

Yesterday I tried just for fun to play one of them and it looked like it was really close to doing it.

If I overclock the pi can it play h.265 since it's all through the CPU?

And if possible would standard heat sinks be enough? I had the temp icon show up top right when playing the fiile.

Thanks!

• The latest LE builds can do 720p HEVC without overclocking, as well as 'average' 1080p HEVC 8-bit remuxes with slight overclocks.
    Fullblown 1080p HEVC and 10bit is a no-no on a RPi, no matter how much you overclock it.

If you want to view HEVC files properly, get a Wetek HUB or a Odroid C2.

• You COULD do it but honestly the RPi3 is not designed for what you desire. Bite the bullet and buy something that will.
    If you want to continue, the RPi3 (even with normal settings) gets HOT even with air cooled heatsinks. You could try improved cooling, water cooling, nitrogen cooling (joke) but the cost is going to be more than what a better alternative would cost.

• The latest LE builds can do 720p HEVC without overclocking, as well as 'average' 1080p HEVC 8-bit remuxes with slight overclocks.
    Fullblown 1080p HEVC and 10bit is a no-no on a RPi, no matter how much you overclock it.

If you want to view HEVC files properly, get a Wetek HUB or a Odroid C2.

Thanks Klojum,

They were 1080p but how do I know if they are 8bit or 10bit?