DVD Playback Stops

• Running the Generic AMD/Intel/nVidia GPU HTPC v8.0. Almost every time I play a DVD it will stop at random times during the movie. Sometimes I can get it to start back up and go play past the original spot it stopped at. Other times I have restarted the computer. I did not have any issues with the same system running Kodi on top of Linux Mint. I have tried changing out the DVD drive with no difference. Anyone else having this issue? Or better yet know a fix? Let me know if you need more information.

• Like to ask if it is a know issue before bombarding the forum with logs. Not sure if any of these are related to my issue but these show up a bunch.
    WARNING: dll_ioctl - 21394 request failed with error [5] Input/output error
    WARNING: could not find codec parameters for /var/media/SING/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
    WARNING: CDVDInputStreamNavigator::GetVideoResolution - Failed to get resolution ()

This one sort of concerned me.
    WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer

• This one makes me wonder:

14:25:41.419 T:140048013498112 ERROR: Detection of DVD-ROM media failed.

But unfortunately this is not a debug log:

14:25:39.415 T:140048188942464 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Also could you please update to the latest version. As you are still using LE 8.0.0. 8.0.1 is out. So please update to the newest version, enable debug logging in system settings, and then try to reproduce your issue and grab a new log.

• This one makes me wonder:

But unfortunately this is not a debug log:

Also could you please update to the latest version. As you are still using LE 8.0.0. 8.0.1 is out. So please update to the newest version, enable debug logging in system settings, and then try to reproduce your issue and grab a new log.

Thank you for dealing so politely with a newbie. I will update and turn on debug and post up when I can. Thank you again for your time.
    [hr]
    System updated to 8.0.1. Debug on. Played same disk and hit the skip forward button during the previews. Playback stopped and kicked back out to the "desktop", for lack of a better word.

• Hello, I am also having the same issue with LibreELEC. DVD playback of some discs stops usually after 30 minutes or so. When I try to play the IFO files directly, I usually can play only the first one, but not the rest. So it looks like issues with decrypting the discs.
    In debug log I saw many messages similar to this one:

INFO: msg: libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.VOB

I did a test - I played the same disc on the same PC booted to LE 8.0.1 and then booted to Linux Mint 17.2 with Kodi 17.1 installed.
    When booted to LE, the playback failed as soon as I jumped ca 30 minutes into the movie. With Linux Mint there were no issues, I was able to jump to any point in the movie.

Attached are debug logs from both tests:
    libreelec-kodi.log
    - contains error messages about CSS key cracking

linuxmint-kodi.log
    - no errors while cracking CSS keys

BTW, I have been hitting this issue also with some older LibreELEC and OpenELEC releases for Raspberry Pi.

Can anybody look at this?

• Hello,
    did anyone have a chance to look at this? Or do I have to file a bug report? If yes, can you please hint me where and how?

btw, I thought that the issue might be with the libdvdcss library, so I checked the version I have installed. My Linux Mint reports libdvdcss2 version 1.2.13-0 for amd64. As I have no idea how to find out the version which is used in LE, I just did a cmp of the /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 inside the LE squashfs with the Linux Mint one. To my surprise the files are identical. So now I am really confused :(

I would appreciate if anyone with deeper knowledge could investigate it.

• Hello,

I'm having the same issues. I have two LibreELEC machines at home, one on RPi and one on a HTPC (Intel based). I can confirm having this problem on both. Usually playback stops the moment I try to change the chapter or go to DVD menu.

As this post is quite old, I just wanted to know if there was any solution to this problem. Thanks.