LIve TV not starting

• Hi,

first time LibreElec user here...

I've just set up two computers to stream TV over my network. I'm trying to watch DVB-T2 (which comes with HEVC/h.265 here in Germany). One computer is a Raspberry Pi (model B) with a DVB-T2 stick and SSD both via USB and running TVHeadend 4.0.8. The other one is an ODROID C2 connected to my TV set and running LibreElec 8.0.0 with the tvheadend add-on activated.

The TVHeadend installation seems to work fine: I can schedule recordings both via web interface and Kodi, watch recordings via Kodi and also watch live TV with VLC on my desktop computer. However, when I try to start live TV from within Kodi, it'll just turn the channel name green und show a little "play" symbol at the top right next to the show's name (see attached screenshot). It doesn't show the stream, neither video nor audio, though. Am I missing something obvious here?

Mirko

• Mirko,

Kodi is "playing" the stream even though it is not showing. I have seen this happen with some test builds of LibreELEC. Kodi has actually sent the command to the backend to play the stream but something is causing Kodi not to display it.

To make sure it is a Kodi problem, you can open up a browser on your desktop and go to the web interface of Tvheadend. Make sure you see the live Tvheadend log which can be seen if you click on the two up arrows on the bottom right of the Tvheadend interface. The log is only available if you log in as an admin user to the Tvheadend web interface.

Once you can see the log, run Kodi and try to play a channel. You should see a one line entry in the log that shows Kodi opening up a stream. If there are no other log lines displayed after that one and no errors, then the problem is with Kodi.

I wonder if it is a user access problem like some people have. Let's see what happens in the Tvheadend log. If you can report back after you do this, then we can narrow down the problem.

• pajtaz, thanks for your reply!

This is what the log shows when I try to start the stream. I don't know what the "Unable to provide BER/UNC value." lines mean but they seem to be related to the connection with Kodi. The last line is from a (successful) attempt with VLC and doesn't have those lines:

Code
    2017-03-27 19:30:04.733 htsp: Got connection from 192.168.178.37
    2017-03-27 19:30:04.740 htsp: 192.168.178.37: Welcomed client software: Kodi Media Center (HTSPv25)
    2017-03-27 19:32:22.376 mpegts: 578MHz in Bremen - tuning on Silicon Labs Si2168 : DVB-T #0
    2017-03-27 19:32:22.395 subscription: 0301: "192.168.178.37 [ Kodi Media Center ]" subscribing on channel "Das Erste HD", weight: 150, adapter: "Silicon Labs Si2168 : DVB-T #0", network: "Bremen", mux: "578MHz", provider: "MEDIA BROADCAST", service: "Das Erste HD", profile="htsp", hostname="192.168.178.37", client="Kodi Media Center"
    2017-03-27 19:32:22.943 linuxdvb: Unable to provide BER value.
    2017-03-27 19:32:22.943 linuxdvb: Unable to provide UNC value.
    2017-03-27 19:32:23.896 mpegts: 578MHz in Bremen scan complete
    2017-03-27 19:40:19.914 subscription: 0302: "HTTP" subscribing on channel "Das Erste HD", weight: 100, adapter: "Silicon Labs Si2168 : DVB-T #0", network: "Bremen", mux: "578MHz", provider: "MEDIA BROADCAST", service: "Das Erste HD", profile="pass", hostname="192.168.178.20", client="VLC/2.2.2 LibVLC/2.2.2"

Mirko

• I read lots of forum posts on Tvheadend and Kodi. I think the problem is Tvheadend backend version. It seems to be a problem with HEVC streams in Kodi but supposedly root cause is Tvheadend HTSP plugin. Supposedly this is fixed in Tvheadend 4.2. You said you are running Tvheadend 4.0.8 version. That is Tvheadend 4.0. You will need to install Tvheadend 4.2. I reached this conclusion by reading this forum post: Kodi forum post

Tvheadend 4.2 is not actually going to have version number starting with "4.2". It will have a version number like "4.1." or "4.1-".

Are you running the Tvheadend backend (on your RPi) by installing LibreELEC on the RPi then installing the PVR backend addon? Or are you running Tvheadend backend (on your RPi) on some Linux version? If you are running LibreELEC addon, you should have the 4.2 Tvheadend available to install over the 4.0. If you are running Linux then you should be able to find the latest Tvheadend in the apt repository. If not then you might have to compile it yourself. It's not THAT hard but you will probably run into minor compilation problems, which will be fixed through trial and error or reading on Internet.

Edited once, last by pajtaz (March 27, 2017 at 7:42 PM).

• Thanks pajtaz, didn't find that thread before. I will look into installing 4.2 then. I'm using Raspbian Jessie and tvheadend 4.0 is the last stable official package, so I used it as it seemed to work.

Mirko

• Sorry for not getting back to this thread, but I only started to work on this again today...

Yes, I've compiled tvheadend 4.2.2-9 on the raspberry pi (according to the instructions here) and I can now watch live TV. So it was really the older tvheadend version.

Thanks again,
    Mirko

Edited once, last by Mirko (May 21, 2017 at 9:08 PM).

• Why did you compile it? What is wrong with the 4.2 version we provide in our repo?

My TVHeadend installation is on a Raspi running Raspbian because that machine also does some other minor tasks. I use LibreElec only on the ODROID that is connected to my TV set.

Mirko

• My TVHeadend installation is on a Raspi running Raspbian because that machine also does some other minor tasks. I use LibreElec only on the ODROID that is connected to my TV set.

Mirko

hi,
    it might be slightly off-topic, but i would just like to know if you are successfully viewing dvb-t2 over the raspi. i failed to get it running properly and decided the reason must be the decoding power of the raspi3. if you say it actually works (without framedrops) i would give it another try.
    thanks
    jochen

• I didn't try any kind of decoding on the Pi. I heard some people did this successfully using an overclocked Pi3 (can't remember where I read that) but it seemed the Pi3 can only barely do this if at all. I bought an ODROID C2 instead that apparently has the hardware support necessary for h.265 and that works quite well. I experience some glitches now and then but can't really tell if that is the ODROID, the Pi or even my WIFI.

Mirko

• I am using Rpi2 with TVheadend and a PineA64 to stream DVB-T2 h.265. All are connected via LAN. So far it is working well. Rpi2 is recording etc. and Pine A64 is showing content on TV. Instead of Pine64 you can also use Odroid C2 or Asus Tinker etc.

Gesendet von meinem PINE A64 mit Tapatalk

Edited once, last by wappi (February 13, 2018 at 10:25 AM).