Failed to start udev Coldplug all Devices

• Just updated my Pi Zero from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 and having issues with LIRC and USB.

When it boots under 8.0.1 I get some boot text over the LibreElec splash screen, including a failure ("Failed to start udev Coldplug all Devices"). The booting continues normally to the end, but when I get there the USB devices connected (a drive plus wifi dongle) aren't working, nor is the LIRC remote (on GPIO).

If I unplug and replug the USB devices they are detected and start working, but I can't see any way to get the LIRC up (in the services tab of the LE config add-on there's no LIRC enable/disable option any more?)

Downgraded to 8.0.0 and all is working again (once the LIRC is re-enabled in the 8.0.0 config add-on).

Grabbed a log, but it doesn't say anything much (Ubuntu Pastebin).

Edited once, last by DarrenHill (March 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM).

• Can you run:

Code
    journalctl -a | pastebinit
    vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | pastebinit
    cat /flash/config.txt | pastebinit

then post the links.

If i can hot plug the WiFi dongle to get an SSH connection without it crashing things then yes. Will give it a try later.

• Can you run:

Code
    journalctl -a | pastebinit
    vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | pastebinit
    cat /flash/config.txt | pastebinit

then post the links.

http://sprunge.us/hbQJ
    http://sprunge.us/FQNM
    http://sprunge.us/ICBL

There was also a little more information in the boot text -

http://sprunge.us/XhhY

Also under 8.0.1 the lirc enable/disable option seems to have vanished from the services tab in the LE add-on? Should it be there?

Edited once, last by DarrenHill (March 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM).

• sprungle.us -> sprunge.us :)
    [hr]
    There's a kernel oops during the initial boot, which is presumably related to the USB WiFi hardware (Ralink RT2800USB_RT53XX).

This may require popcornmix to diagnose this further.

Can you try my latest test build based on kernel 4.10.5 and Kodi 18a1: RPi - let's see if this is any better (may give a clue).

Edited once, last by milhouse (March 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM).

[hr]
    There's a kernel oops during the initial boot, which is presumably related to the USB WiFi hardware (Ralink RT2800USB_RT53XX).

Can you try my latest test build based on kernel 4.10.5 and Kodi 18a1: RPi - let's see if this is any better (may give a clue).

Oops :blush: corrected.

I will, but give me a few days as I'm traveling at the moment and would rather back the card up first so i can roll back afterwards properly. I'm now back on 8.0.0 and everything is working fine again (after re-enabling the lirc in the config addon).

I had to hot plug the WiFi dongle to get it working, so it could be.

Edited once, last by DarrenHill (March 26, 2017 at 7:15 PM).

• # cat /proc/cpuinfo | pastebinit
    cUfN

# vcgencmd otp_dump | pastebinit
    FURT

It's a rev1.1 pi zero if that helps (the one without the camera connector or built in WiFi).

Thanks for the help on this by the way :)

Edited once, last by DarrenHill (March 26, 2017 at 7:59 PM).

• # cat /proc/cpuinfo | pastebinit
    cUfN

# vcgencmd otp_dump | pastebinit
    FURT

It's a rev1.1 pi zero if that helps (the one without the camera connector or built in WiFi).

Thanks for the help on this by the way :)

Thanks, that all looks OK (possibly a rev1.2 based on the revision code).

What's odd is that your device is loading "bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb" when it should (I think) be loading "bcm2835-rpi-zero.dtb"

• You may be right - it's a pretty old one anyway.

Do you need any more data from either 8.0.0 or 8.0.1 to narrow this down any more?

Will try the Leia alpha at the weekend when I'm back home.

[hr]

milhouse - ok tried the image and it works fine for both lirc and usb.

So it's specifically 8.0.1 that has the issue. I'm now rolled back to 8.0.0 again as the skin i use (Amber) isn't Leia compatible yet.

Where should we go from here?