Live TV unusable since 7.0.2 on Cubox

• I am willing to test an image. I would prefer to test an image of LibreELEC 8.0.0 with 3.14 kernel.

In order to give you a sample for Bob (inverted), I need to record something from one of the channels that requires it. Let me see if I can record something remotely and put it on my Google Drive.

I only use "Bob". So only "Bob" should be inverted. Half the channels work well with "Bob" (example, NPO 1 HD, NPO 2 HD) and other half work well with "Bob (inverted)" (example, RTL 4 HD, BBC One HD).
    [hr]
    Here is a link to a sample recorded from BBC One HD: Bargain Hunt.ts - Google Drive

Edited once, last by vpeter (March 8, 2017 at 1:44 PM).

• I tested image above + sample you posted and for my eyes bob inverted is there, can be selected and picture is a little better with it than with bob. Wondering if you will be satisfied too.

• I'm downloading it now and will test it on live TV.
    [hr]
    Ok, I tested it. The "Bob (inverted)" is available and it works as it should on the channels that need it. So for example, BBC One HD looks crappy with Bob but looks perfect with Bob (inverted).

Can you let me download the patch you made? I built 8.0.0 yesterday and I was about to do what you did. Now you already accomplished it so ... if you don't mind sharing your work.

On Kodi forum FernetMenta suggested I fix the decoder for imx6. Meaning, he is the one who removed Bob (inverted) and Weave (inverted) from Kodi 17 (I found a pull he made where this was done). He believe the decoder should be able to always know whether to invert or not. I don't know how to do this but he pointed me in the place in the code where I can start. So if you provide me with this patch, this will be a "temporary" fix for me. I would prefer that this deinterlacing method issue is fixed such that there is no reason to select between Bob and Bob (inverted). What do you think?

Edited once, last by pajtaz (March 8, 2017 at 6:29 PM).

• This is the patch I used (I just put removed stuff back).

But I'm looking through the decoder if this could be "properly" fixed. Will let you know when/if I succeed.

Edited once, last by vpeter (March 9, 2017 at 9:59 AM).

• I will test once I get home (at work now).

EDIT: Ok, so I tested it. Dude! You did it! This is what I needed to fix all of my problems with Kodi. As long as the channel switching is ok in 8.0.0, this fix is what I needed to switch over. Of course, I still need to transfer all of my settings, addons, lircd stuff but I can test that later.

It seems like a such a simple fix in the patch you provided, I'm surprised nobody else fixed this even back in 7.0.2.

Just to clarify, what your fix did was make all of my HD channels use "Bob" as the deinterlace method and all of the channels looked perfect. The "Auto Select" defaults to a different method other than "Bob" and that is the only thing that I would change in the future.

One final question: if I choose "Bob" as the deinterlace method and make it apply for all media, will the deinterlacing be turned off if the input does not need deinterlacing? In order not to have to change the deinterlace method to "Bob" for each channel and each recording, I intend to just choose "Bob" and then make that the default. However, what if I am watching internet stream, such as from YouTube? Will the "Bob" be applied to YouTube also or does the deinterlace method only get applied if the input is detected to be interlaced?

Edited once, last by pajtaz (March 9, 2017 at 6:41 PM).

• vpeter,

I tried youre update but much to my regret I have to inform you that all your work did not solve my problems with zapping and freezing of channels. At least not for all the channels when I use BOB inverted zapping goes well for all the Astra FTA 28.2 channels (BBC, ITV, E4 etc) but not for Astra 19,2 coded and Astra 23.5 coded en uncoded. I am beginning to think that it is a combination of factors. Perhaps I am watching TV in a slightly different way because I use all the Astra satelites FTA and Coded frequencies I Like to watch Dutch, English and German TV channels. So I swith a lot of times from one satelite to another and todat when I was trying with my son to correct some TVHeadend problems about uncorrected blocks we found out dat switching muxes gave problems but I also noticed that at the same time similar problem occur in KODI when I try to watch LiveTV.

What I mean to say is that is allmost if I am chancing from Satelite en from coded to uncoded (vice versa) the problems occur. Normal you watch a program and than change channel but that not so normal for me and if I am testing I really zap a lot.

What I really do not like is the fact that the kodi.log everytime give another warning or sometimes simply nothing after a freeze

So I hope that you can help me out or perhaps you have a view of which people could help me more, tried the official KODI forum but no luck there.

I have tested you version with KODI Krypton latest version 17.0, on a CU-Box I4P-300D. Satelite is connected through Octopusnet IPSAT with the latest firmware 1.0.80 from Digital Devices
    kodi.old.log

• Can you make few recorded samples to test so we can see if file playback works?

This changes I did with deinterlace can't fix any freeze you see.

But I think my latest change with only bob method works for both samples pajtaz provide. But one more knowledgeable man is also looking for proper solution to this bob inverted thing.

Edited once, last by vpeter (March 9, 2017 at 4:15 PM).

• vpeter,

I was just thinking that perhaps in the latest KODI I have to see which result is the best by testing it channel by channel instead of what I am doing now making it the same for all channels as what is possible in KODI.

But now about you're question if I can provide a few recorded samples. Do you want samples of the channels wich goes well, because I do not see how I will produce a playback of a channel which has been frozen or see my zap from channel to channel untill freeze. I can make a screenshot and a copy of the log from what is happening at the freezing moment, is that what you mean ?

Thanks for your help sofar

• Frans,

I compiled LibreELEC 8.0.0 with vpeter's patch to fix the deinterlacing so only one method needs to be chosen for all of my channels. I have been testing it since last night. So far it seems that live TV is ok. Switching channels is ok. Occasionally there is a problem with a channel, one channel started then froze then stopped and went back to home screen after about 10 seconds. That happened only once.

So I am running the 8.0.0 compiled with kernel 3.14 and vpeter's patch for deinterlacing. Only changes I made was that I made the advancedsettings.xml file and set up cache options. Other thing I did was go to Tvheadend HTSP Client addon settings and changed the Response Timeout from 5 seconds to 10 seconds.

My wife is testing it now. She tells me that live TV is still ok but there are occasionally freezes during playback of recordings. This is strange since recordings should be more "stable" than live TV. Besides that she has not had any other problems.

Hopefully this helps. I can provide you my image if you want to test it.

• Hi ,
    I'm favorable to test your build
    1/Could you provide a link for the download
    2/could you provide the deintercaling selection ( BOB ?)
    Thanks in advance
    JP

• I guess I ve to select only BOB as deinterlace method for all live TV channels , right ?
    basically, I still have some issue during channel switching
    When image is frozen , I ve to stop the channel ( STOP button) & play again and it works
    Some advices?
    JP

• I just found some time again and tried the last image from vpeter (http://vpeter.libreelec.tv/imx6-solidrun....14.img.gz).
    Sadly the problems remain the same, channel starts playing and then when I want to switch channels freeze. The only thing I can do is stop the channel and start again but then most of the time audio will not sync. It does not matter what kind of deintlerlacing I am using BOB.BOB Half.IMX or what ever or even when I simply put deinterlace off no luck. Even the suggestings to chance the settings in the TVHeadend addon (answer timeout from 5 to 10 sec) did nothing.
    I am still using Liberelec 7.03 on the production Cu-Boxes where all these problems do not exits.
    Am i missing something do I have a wrong setting somewhere. Is this problem related to the latest updates of the kernel of the cu-box. I am still hoping that somebody can help me with this problem?

and vpeter allready many thanks for the effort you put into this ! :)

PS: what also frustrates me that there is no error message in the logs not on KODI in the systemlog or on TVHeadend

• I confirm same behaviour than you Frans.
    I'm not using TVH but VDR and basically what frustrate me too is that I try LE on intel platform & Ammlogic platform.
    I would say imx6 (Cubox) is more "reactive" than the 2 previous (but with the channel freeze bug, I cannot use it)
    I confirm also using 7.03 which is my actual reference too

Thanks vpeter for your contribution
    JP

ps1: I've the feeling during the freeze , LE doesn't display .. .but the engine is "running"
    ps2: when the freeze channel occur ( and If I reboot manually) "last image" is displayed on the screen ( instead of a black one)

Edited once, last by jpg73 (April 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM).

• Do we have ANY progress on this issue? I just downloaded and tested 8.0.2 with kernel 3.14 and same issue persists. I can tune to one channel on my Cubox then pretty much switching to any other channel just loads the buffer and nothing happens. This must be isolated by now since it has been happening on every single release of LibreELEC for Cubox since Krypton started being used.

Vpeter, anything?