Wetek Play 2

• Has anyone got one of these and if so can they provide feedback.

I fancy purchasing it with DVB-S2. I do not the version 8.0.0 of the S905 firmware states inbuilt DVB is not supported.

Is anyone using it with Kodi/Libreelec/DVB-S2 interface?

• Great to hear that LE8 runs fine with wetek play 2.

My last test was with LE7.95.3 BETA + wetek play 2 DVB-S2 + thveadend ... worked somehow... but

* the box was always under some more or less heavy load (top showed most of the time >50% cpu usage)
    * tvheadend webinterface was not reliable. sometimes the page responds, sometimes not (maybe due to high cpu load?), and most of the time is was very slow.
    * live tv switching time was about 2-4sek, but more 4sec than 2sec.
    * I was not able to get my HD+ smartcard running with oscam

Would be great if you could tell us about the live tv switching time and, if you're using any smartcard?!

• alex0801, I am using my nc+ card (polish provider) with play2 using smargo usb card reader and configured oscam (works great with weos android and all libreelec builds), live tv switching times 2sec

• Sounds good. Does it make a big difference if I use libreelec from sdcard or from nand?

Until I'm not very sure that libreelec works as expected, I would not kill my weos on the nand. So I'm currently using the sd-card.

And again, it's f*cking slow with LE8 ...
    Example:

I login via ssh and run "top". The output runs for a while, but sooner or later stops. I have then to kill the ssh session. ...

Same just now happend with "ps aux | grep kodi" ... Does not seem to make a difference which command I enter. Sooner or later the ssh session is broken.

Also thveadend webinterface (4.0 as well as 4.2) is not coning up... it's loading all the time, bot nothing is shown.

Ping works, but has package loss. Network connection is done by gigabit LAN.

Is this caused by the SD card?

[update]

I removed tvheadend client addon and disabled wireless-connection (which is unused). Ping is very unreliable:

--- 192.168.200.87 ping statistics ---
    227 packets transmitted, 166 received, 26% packet loss, time 226570ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.611/30.307/484.855/85.620 ms

I tried to use an external USB LAN Adapter. This seem to give better reliability, but wetek play 2 is crashing when playing around in the menus.

Any ideas what's wrong?

[update2]

When booting into WeOS, the network connection is also unreliable... that's very strange.

Edited once, last by alex0801 (March 2, 2017 at 6:12 PM).

• I have installed le8 ( GDPR-1 build) on msd card (i prefere in nand weos android and on msd card libreelec build) . About msd card try to use good and fast cards (recommended are sandisk ultra class 10 or samsung evo class 10 ). I've got few msd cards (recommended ones) 32gb and all of them works good with libreelec . Also no problems with tvh

• I don't know. I prefere wifi connection

I will test how reliable wifi is... But it would be a shame if I cannot use the gigabit connection I have all over in my house :(
    [hr]

I will test how reliable wifi is... But it would be a shame if I cannot use the gigabit connection I have all over in my house :(

WeOS/Android with wifi is very reliable. No packet loss at all. I'm pretty sure that this will also count for LE... Very strange. I will try to get more details from Wetek Support about this.
    If I have a permanent packet loss of about 26..30%, it's totally clear that the thveadend page is not delivered correctly...

Edited once, last by alex0801 (March 2, 2017 at 6:35 PM).

• @alex801 I don't use smartcard. Channel switching time 2-3 secs. top shows CPU load for Kodi about 30-40% even for 4K channels. And this is the load for single CPU core. WeTek Play 2 has 4 cores, so basically 3 cores are idle and one is half-loaded. My WP2 is connected to gigabit router, connection is very stable.

From my experience the slowness of your WP2 can really be caused by the sdcard.

• I compared the specs between my toshiba microsd card and the "recommended" sandisk/samsung cards. My toshiba should be faster. But anyhow, I will buy a 32gb samsung evo today and will re-test.

Regarding the unreliable LAN connection: I will try to test a direct connection to my notebook. Maybe my router and/or managed switch is causing this issues. Maybe some "energy settings"... who knows.

regarding CPU load:
    I know, that I have 4 cores. But it looks strange to me, that kodi is eating, even when kodi is in idle, so much cpu load (almost one core, completely, all the time).

I will report back about the findings with new sd card as well as "reduced LAN network".

• Sounds good. Does it make a big difference if I use libreelec from sdcard or from nand?

It's not nand, it's eMMC and yes it makes a big difference to general snappiness, I measure ~130MB/s read speed with a quick/dirty hdparm test.
    It'll also void your warranty, but hey, who worries about such things when speed is on the table! :cool:

• Hmm, then I will first try to play around with the micro-sd variant... If this works well, I may install into nand/emmc.

How about the microsd speed? Is the microsd internally connected via USB? Or directly? My toshiba card is able to be be read with 90mb/sek... that's not THAT slow (but still slower than emmc).

One thing regarding the "cpu load":
    The slowness is only visible when accessing the box via SSH and trying to access tvheadend webinterface. oscam webinterface is also slow, but it's somehow useable. tvheadend webinterface is loading and loading, and not finishing. white/empty webpage ...
    This userinterface on the TV is very fast and responsive.

So I assume, that this is totally related to the LAN issue I face. My current guess is, that this issue is caused by something like a power management setting on my smart managed netgear switch (mainly due to the fact, that the box's wifi connection is very stable and reliable, no packet loss. And wifi is provided by my DSL router and not via managed netgear switch). This I will test this evening.

• How about the microsd speed? Is the microsd internally connected via USB? Or directly? My toshiba card is able to be be read with 90mb/sek... that's not THAT slow (but still slower than emmc).

I've had decent performance with a Samsung EVO+ but it's not at the same level as eMMC, especially for random 4K read/write performance which is more important for an OS.

Edited once, last by powerarmour (March 4, 2017 at 1:06 PM).

• I did NOT buy a new microsd card, as Toshiba spec says, it is capable of reading with ~90mb/sec. So I first disconnected the box from my netgear-switch and connected it to my DSL-Router. And... tadaaa... It works. Packet loss dropped from ~26% to 0..2%.
    TVHeadend webinterface etc. is loading almost instantly and setup was working as expected. Switching-time is btw about 2-4sec...depending on the tv channel. Great...

So finally: It must be a weird port configuration of my netgear smart managed switch.

But I now have the next problem: From time to time (more or less a few minutes), the live tv is showing artifacts when watching HD channels. I switched from "htsp" to "pass" streaming profile. That improved the situation a bit, but the issue is not gone.
    I don't have this issues with SD channels, just with HD channels. It's also independant from "hd plus" smartcard usage... The issue appears also on "free HD" channels.

My guess is, that TVHeadend is causing this issue on streaming server side... But this is just a guess. CPU load is still uncritical.

I'm using tvh 4.2 and LE8.0, all up2date.

Any hint's on what I can do/check about this issue? If it helps, here's the video showing stuttering + artifacts:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by alex0801 (March 6, 2017 at 11:06 AM).