905x boot from ssd

• Hi ,

does anybody know if its possible to boot libreelec from ssd on a 905x.
    image has been written on a ssd with libreelec sd/usb creator.
    but after boot it or starts in android or while holding the reset button it ends up in the recovery menu without showing libreelec boot .
    have been reading posts from the raspberry pi where was given that possibly the drive starts up to slow .

If so would there be an option to boot from sd and use data from ssd.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

• Why?

Just get a fast SD card or USB Key. Using an SSD is a waste since the usb ports will max at 480mbps.

You could try Rufus to write the image and see if that works with the SSD, LE will only boot from one of the USB ports so try each port with the toothpick method until you find the correct port.

Lastly to rule out an SSD issue why not use any random USB Key just to test yourself?

• Hi ,

but after boot it or starts in android or while holding the reset button it ends up in the recovery menu without showing libreelec boot .
    have been reading posts from the raspberry pi where was given that possibly the drive starts up to slow .

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I had to try a MicroSD card and 3 USB drives to find one that works with my box.

• Why?

Just get a fast SD card or USB Key. Using an SSD is a waste since the usb ports will max at 480mbps.

You could try Rufus to write the image and see if that works with the SSD, LE will only boot from one of the USB ports so try each port with the toothpick method until you find the correct port.

Lastly to rule out an SSD issue why not use any random USB Key just to test yourself?

thanks forgot to mention that i allready tried a usb key which works.
    i know there is a limitation of 480 but small 4k and 8k files like thumbnails which kodi uses a lot are still a lot faster on a ssd that is what makes a diffrence . will search for rufus and try that .

• While i do agree an ssd will be faster is it really that noticeable? Have you tested the read/write of the SD/USB on a computer? To make sure it a good card/usb, mainly need to find something that has good sequential read/write speeds.

A fast SD card should be enough to handle 4k thumbnails, unless of course the SD card reader on you box is cheap and slow.

Have you considered flashing on the internal storage? Mines has been extremely smooth on internal storage.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (March 1, 2017 at 2:35 AM).

• Hi ,

Thanks in advance,

Michael

It should be possible - I've booted an S905 from an ancient dog-slow 2.5" drive.