Rpi1 - Stream 720p x264

• Hello,

I would like to ask you guys, does anyone using Pi1 as client as video streaming client?

I have a few years back Rpi1, and as far as I remember, I think that it was capable to play 720p x264 content from USB disc quite without problem - after buying VC-1 license.

My idea is connect Rpi and via LAN get HD 720p x264 content from server. Does have Rpi1 enough performance to play those videos via LAN? I already using Rpi2 (without VC1) in my home and there is no problem obviously. But thinking about cheaper possibility, as my parents will move to the old house, and there will be more rooms (TVs) to connect in new infrastructure.

Edited once, last by JimmySmith (June 17, 2016 at 9:36 AM).

• If you have bought the license for the RPi1 I see no problems playing those files via LAN.

I never tested myself, but I never heard of any problem regarding to that as that was a common usage.

• The vc-1 licence won't make any difference, will it?
    I can't remember having any problems playing x264 720p files over smb on any pi (1, 2 or 3).

Edit: obviously most of that's on openelec.

Edited once, last by trogggy (June 17, 2016 at 12:22 PM).

• I have a few years back Rpi1, and as far as I remember, I think that it was capable to play 720p x264 content from USB disc quite without problem - after buying VC-1 license.

Just to clarify no licence is required for playing H.264 (the codec used by the x264 encoder).
    You may need the VC-1 licence for playing VC-1 files (not widely used, but most commonly found on some BluRay disks).

Pi 1 will be fine for 720p H.264. You shouldn't have a problem with 1080p files either (as long as network is good).
    Obviously a Pi 2 or Pi 3 will give a more resposive experience as the processors are significantly faster.