S905 builds - general discussion

• Just removed the disk from the external drive and put it in my computer. No Virtual drive. It has to be located in the controller itselve. That's why nothing worked. I just cant access the flash drive or whatever in the controller to remove that VCD. I think only buying new external usb cases might work for me.

• Just removed the disk from the external drive and put it in my computer. No Virtual drive. It has to be located in the controller itselve. That's why nothing worked. I just cant access the flash drive or whatever in the controller to remove that VCD. I think only buying new external usb cases might work for me.

You tried remove hide or disable the virtual drive ?
    How to remove (disable / hide) the Virtual CD (VCD) for Windows or Mac OSX on a WD My Book or WD My Passport | WD Support
    Plug drive into router and access it via SMB and see what that does.

• Yeah, tried all of that but it is invisible only on the windows machine I work with. Putting it back on my TV box the Smartware is shown as the primary partition again. Unfortunately my router wont recognize my usb drives. It's a rather old one. After searching for some days now I don't believe it is even possible to remove that virtual drive.

• Clone my repo and start compiling. ;) PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64 make image

For information, I've found my gcc 6 issue, this is solved in recent libreelec version: gcc: compile with -std=gnu++98 to fix build with gcc6 by escalade · Pull Request #384 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub so never occur for recent version only if you want to build old versions using gcc 6 (an ubuntu 16 updated use gcc 6 by default).

But my first build is not yet completed :) this is a very long operation even if you pre load sources ...

• Unfortunately I don't know what's the exact colour encoding output. I know that you can force RGB output - again don't if it's limited or full. Maybe someone with a TV set that shows these values would be able to help you. Currently there is no way to switch output colour range in Kodi.

According to my AVR (Denon x3300w) my s905 box outputs YCbCr 4:2:0. I haven't tried to force full RGB because I think 420 would prevent any color space converting and give the best result. Of course one could wonder what kind of internal processing is happening but picture quality is great so I'm happy :).

Edited once, last by meijjaa (January 8, 2017 at 9:37 PM).

• Hello kszaq,

I use my MINI MXIII with Sharkoon external case, WD Red 2TB. (M18 with other Sharkoon same problem) When I power off the box, disk does not spin down. Hungarian forum I got help, it is enough to copy this  autostart.sh, shutdown.sh (both work) with Windows. After that the disk spin down but when I power on the box disk does not mount, spin up. Is there any idea how can I "wake up" disk? Disk is "invisible". When I power off and on the external case, it is mount.

Thank you!

Gábor

Edited once, last by Gábor (January 12, 2017 at 4:18 PM).

• I am trying to build from a virtual machine (PC) ... but I can't :/
    any idea why ?

[hr]
    ok, it's seems I found the solution ;)

LibreELEC

Edited once, last by Koxx (January 13, 2017 at 6:19 PM).

• This is my first time in this forum.

I have installed (to nand) LE on several X96 amlogic s905x boxes, gave em to friends, but 3 of those friends have 4K TV's and are saying the Kodi menu (under LE) is too large. The original android firmware installed on these X96 boxes was slow, and of course the amlogic accelerator had to be disabled, making video choppy BUT under this android firmware, Kodi did display ok on a 4k tv.

I know the 4k display support is experimental, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to get LE to display on a 4K monitor, hopefully without taking a performance hit. I'd like to avoid restoring stock firmware on these 3 boxes, since it seems tricky and is, essentially, a downgrade.

• I have installed (to nand) LE on several X96 amlogic s905x boxes, gave em to friends, but 3 of those friends have 4K TV's and are saying the Kodi menu (under LE) is too large.

Do you mean the Kodi homepage? They probably need to run Video calibration to reduce overscan on their TVs.

Also, a bit off topic I know but, how do you find the remote controls of the X96 boxes, what range are they functional at? Do the remote IR receivers work? (I asked as I have some of these boxes and would like to know if issues I have are common to them all ;) )

• Do you mean the Kodi homepage? They probably need to run Video calibration to reduce overscan on their TVs.

Also, a bit off topic I know but, how do you find the remote controls of the X96 boxes, what range are they functional at? Do the remote IR receivers work? (I asked as I have some of these boxes and would like to know if issues I have are common to them all ;) )

[hr]

Do you mean the Kodi homepage? They probably need to run Video calibration to reduce overscan on their TVs.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen one of the LE boxes on a 4k tv, and it seems a bit tricky to be able to view/access the kodi>>settings>>system menu, so I was hoping for a "native" alternative, but if it works, it's easier, and doesn't slow things down, it's easier than reflashing the old crappy android firmware. ;)

As far as the remotes on the X96, they are adequate, but a bit "directionally challenged". My box, beyond the built in IR receiver, did not come with the external IR extender, but I got one from ebay for a few bucks. The extenal receiver helps, and when mounted "line of sight" at the TV, it is tolerable. For $5, you can get a small rf remote w/usb which also works well, but I like to program the IR remote to my (separate) learning remote, so... the remote supplied with the unit, works for my purposes.

Edited once, last by gbate (January 14, 2017 at 3:33 AM).

• [hr]

Thanks for the reply. I've seen one of the LE boxes on a 4k tv, and it seems a bit tricky to be able to view/access the kodi>>settings>>system menu

You can navigate to Video Calibration 'blind'.

What LE version and skin is being used?

eg. with 7.90.Beta1 using default skin, Estuary, go up, right, OK, right, right, right, down, OK, right, up, up, OK and you will be in the Calibration screen and able to adjust the overscan :D

• I'm running a LE from microSD, mostly works superb in Mini M8S II. I'm going to install to NAND soon.
    Is it possible to run LE from microSD again in the future, for testing purposes, if LE already installed to NAND? Is three such thing as which booting is priority in this case if there is both LE on microSD and NAND?

• I'm running a LE from microSD, mostly works superb in Mini M8S II. I'm going to install to NAND soon.
    Is it possible to run LE from microSD again in the future, for testing purposes, if LE already installed to NAND? Is three such thing as which booting is priority in this case if there is both LE on microSD and NAND?

The external version will boot if it is detected on SD / USB ;)

• I tried to install several addons from the Superrepo
    or Fusion repositories, but they do not seem to work
    on a Libreelec/Kodi build. They even fail to install.

Does this have to do with the downgrade 64 to 32 bit
    situation or do a lot of addons work not work on Libreelec
    in general?

I mean, other addons like YouTube or Zattoo seem to
    be fine.

• Wtf?! Those two repositories have normal legal addons,
    I am not talking about warez stuff or something like that.
    I would understand that.

Also, they work on both my Pis, just not on Libreelec.