S905 builds - general discussion

• LOL you don't sound too sure :D

I was trying to say 'What sort of a silly question is that?' but in a gentler way. ;)

Suspend is working again - that's great, I used it previously and I'll use it again. There's a slight oddity (to me) in that I'm seeing a couple of extra notifications that I don't think were there before and I don't see on other systems. No big deal - it's obvious that the processes have to happen. Hence I called it an oddity rather than writing 'OMG the world's on fire!'
    So ' Why not just Poweroff then?' just seemed a bit of a weird suggestion. There's no issue.

• Now suspend appears to be fixed would it make more sense to map the power button to XBMC.Shutdown rather than XBMC.Suspend() by default? That way it'll follow whatever's set for power in kodi settings rather than needing a new .xml to map it.

Good suggestion. Will apply.

• I have a 1TB My Passport for Mac - all I've ever done is formatted it to NTFS in windows and slung a pile of stuff on it. Just checked and it seems fine on my Minimxiii.

I use Paragon NTFS for Mac
    It has a really easy to use interface and works without worrying about file corruption associated with free programs.
    Libraries with individual video files over 4.2 GB eliminates Fat32 formatted hard drives.
    ExFAT is hit and miss with mounting issues outside of MacOS.

• I use Paragon NTFS for Mac
    It has a really easy to use interface and works without worrying about file corruption associated with free programs.
    Libraries with individual video files over 4.2 GB eliminates Fat32 formatted hard drives.

I don't have a Mac, but the drive was really cheap. :D
    I probably formatted with mini tool partition wizard, that's my go-to.

Edited once, last by trogggy (September 28, 2016 at 10:49 AM).

• There are no silly questions. Only silly answers ;)

Thought you had an issue, just trying to help, that's the point of forums. No worries - won't happen again.

Funny, I can think of a few silly questions I've asked - and a few silly answers I've given. Usually because I've not read a post properly.
    I'll struggle on somehow.

Edited once, last by trogggy (September 28, 2016 at 11:17 AM).

• Funny, I can think of a few silly questions I've asked

Okay , Silly or not ?
    What is the point of using suspend ?
    I understand the quick boot up if using Kodi App in Android but i have no idea of the benefit in LE.
    Am i missing something with this suspend option.
    I've always powered off my boxes so i have to ask.

• Okay , Silly or not ?
    What is the point of using suspend ?
    I understand the quick boot up if using Kodi App in Android but i have no idea of the benefit in LE.
    Am i missing something with this suspend option.
    I've always powered off my boxes so i have to ask.

It's instantly up and running, as opposed to waiting for 3 (?) splash screens and then pvr stuff to load.
    Booting from cold takes about a minute on my minimxiii until it's ready to go.
    From suspend it's a couple of seconds if that. It's limited by how quickly my Harmony turns the TV on and switches to HDMI2.

Edit: definitely not silly.
    Edit2: the 'couple of seconds' was an exaggeration. Just checked and it's about 5 seconds from pressing the button to have my drive re-mounted and working - so a couple of seconds after kodi appears on the screen. I might be able to speed that up by playing with the Harmony ordering, but as I've never noticed it before that isn't going to happen.

Edited once, last by trogggy (September 28, 2016 at 12:23 PM).

• It's instantly up and running, as opposed to waiting for 3 (?) splash screens and then pvr stuff to load.
    Booting from cold takes about a minute on my minimxiii until it's ready to go.

Okay !
    Just un plugged my box and plugged it back in and timed it.
    Boots up in 16 seconds . Just to be precise how quick LE boots up.
    I don't have any PVR stuff so i can see there is a purpose for it.
    About a minute is pretty long.
    If my box took over 30 seconds to boot i would be reaching for toothpicks. :D

• Okay !
    Just un plugged my box and plugged it back in and timed it.
    Boots up in 16 seconds . Just to be precise how quick LE boots up.
    I don't have any PVR stuff so i can see there is a purpose for it.
    About a minute is pretty long.
    If my box took over 30 seconds to boot i would be reaching for toothpicks. :D

Interesting. Although I still couldn't put up with waiting for 16 seconds if I know it can be 3 X quicker. :D
    Is that the T95N?

Can anyone with a Minimxiii confirm their boot time from cold / powered off?

Edit: I have 'wait for network' enabled and a reasonably large library to load as well as the pvr, might make a little difference - not to that extent though.

Edited once, last by trogggy (September 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM).

• Interesting. Although I still couldn't put up with waiting for 16 seconds if I know it can be 3 X quicker. :D
    Is that the T95N?

Can anyone with a Minimxiii confirm their boot time from cold / powered off?

Edit: I have 'wait for network' enabled and a reasonably large library to load as well as the pvr, might make a little difference - not to that extent though.

My mxiii is about 18 seconds.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (September 28, 2016 at 1:03 PM).

• My mxiii is about 18 seconds.

Thanks Jon. Hmmm. I'll have to try a fresh everything at some point, just to see. Not that it's an issue (before anyone thinks it is :) ), I've no intention of switching from suspend. Even 20 sec feels a bit clunky when you're used to an always-on pi or a pc in S3.
    I'd get complaints. ;)

Edit: still waiting for an opportunity to write 'You know nothing JonSnow.' It'll come.

Editagain: Hang on, are we all comparing like with like here? I'm using an sd card - possibly a fairly naff one as I've copied stuff around a few times between cards. Is that 18 seconds on nand?

Edited once, last by trogggy (September 28, 2016 at 1:23 PM).

• My mxiii is about 18 seconds.

MiniMX using custom AppTV skin 20 seconds plus 7 more seconds for network to liven up.
    I have whinged a little about this box before. It is the slowest out of all the boxes i own.
    When restoring a previous backup from an external USB it really shows its slowness.
    I run it on Nand which should be fast.
    I can only conclude Crap eMMC .
    Just to confirm the MiniMx i have is the black with no Beelink written on it.

• I use Paragon NTFS for Mac

Turns out it was a fault USB cable ... somehow. The USB cord that came with the Passport for Mac works fine when plugged into my tower, it loads up fine, I can load files, format, no issues all day. Try to plug it into the Mini MXIII ... nothing. I have several My Passport drives and when I use a USB cable from one of my other Passports with the Passport for Mac the Mini MXIII loads the drive normally.

So it's got to be the USB cable, I just don't understand how since my computer can see the drive fine, only the Mini MXIII has an issue.

Edited once, last by essential (September 28, 2016 at 6:13 PM).

• New development build to test: 2016-09-28-devel

Changes from previous build:

• tuned suspend to work a little better
    • Kodi setting for remote power button honored (you can choose between Suspend and Power off)
    • improved sending rate for Gigabit ethernet devices (turned off STMMAC_DA kernel option)

Remember to use an updated device tree.

Edited once, last by kszaq (September 28, 2016 at 11:01 PM).

• Thanks Jon. Hmmm. I'll have to try a fresh everything at some point, just to see. Not that it's an issue (before anyone thinks it is :) ), I've no intention of switching from suspend. Even 20 sec feels a bit clunky when you're used to an always-on pi or a pc in S3.
    I'd get complaints. ;)

Edit: still waiting for an opportunity to write 'You know nothing JonSnow.' It'll come.

Editagain: Hang on, are we all comparing like with like here? I'm using an sd card - possibly a fairly naff one as I've copied stuff around a few times between cards. Is that 18 seconds on nand?

NAND install here, still about 18 seconds with kszaq new devl release. It probaby a few seconds faster but i have a delay set for mysql library.
    [hr]

New development build to test: 2016-09-28-devel

Changes from previous build:

• tuned suspend to work a little better
    • Kodi setting for remote power button honored (you can choose between Suspend and Power off)
    • improved sending rate for Gigabit ethernet devices (turned off STMMAC_DA kernel option)

Remember to use an updated device tree.

dtb and devl release installed fine on my MXIII. I used dd to upgrade dtb, any command to check if i have the latest? DD did show records in/out so i assume the changes applied.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (September 29, 2016 at 12:04 AM).