"Successfully removed storage" - error

• Hi,
    I've been using OSMC for last couple of months on my RPi3. I've decided to switch to LE because OSMC was very unstable - I was receiving an error notification that says "Successfully removed storage". I'm not really sure what that means, it looked like it lost a connection with a network (wired) or SD card was unmounted, hard to say to be honest... To make it work again I had restart a device. Anyway, the same thing is happening on LE so I'm guessing it might be a hardware issue.

System "crashes" when eg. library is refreshing or Trakt.tv addon is syncing a whole database. So those are consuming operations, heatsinks are pretty hot.

I have RPi3 with official "pink-white" case, official 2.5A power supply and two copper heatsinks. SD card is 8GB Sandisk Extreme Pro.

How can I debug what's the problem?

• No, I did not overclock it. In idle it shows around 60 celsius. Is this too high?

EDIT:
    Yep, its overheating, I see now the temperature warning in top right corner. System Info and `cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp` shows 83 deg.

What should I do? Bigger heatsinks?

Edited once, last by rasen (February 16, 2017 at 8:11 PM).

• "Successfully removed storage" = An attached device has been unmounted - do you have an HDD attached - and if so HOW - Powered USB hub or direct to the RPi? - My guess it's not a powered USB hub. The voltage is dropping and the HDD detects this and powers down. Probably also then tries to power up again as the voltage increases.

The "overheating" should not be the issues as the RPi3 will just throttle down.

Heatsinks in a case are not much use if the "HOT" air cannot get out. Remove the lid or think about getting a small fan and attached the leads to the GPIO pins (either Pin1 for a slower fan speed +3.3 or Pin2 for a faster speed +5 and ground to Pin6 - )

If it's only occasionally (as when you are updating something) then I wouldn't worry too much.