Pi 3 as tvheadend backend for DVB-T2 ... stream stutters

• Hi,
    I use a Raspi 3 with two Geniatech T230C DVB-T2 USB sticks as tvheadend backend with Libreelec 7.0.2-dvbdrivers. I can receive all six test channels currently available in Germany / NRW.
    If I record the stream to my NAS and watch it from there later everything works fine.
    If I directly want to watch the "live" stream it stutters, no sound ... buffering restarts all the time (using LibreElec on a Minix U2 or VLC from my Ubuntu laptop).
    Any hints? Or is a Pi3 too slow to handle a DVB-T2 stream?
    Thanks, krimskrams

• When you are watching live, are you also recording?

If the Pi3 is able to record a stream to your NAS fine then streaming to a single player should be exactly the same amount of work.

• did you buy and enable the cheap mpeg2 licence for hardware decoding of those tv streams? i had the same problem with live tv and that sorted it for me.

• Hi,

recording to the NAS and watching afterwards works fine with no frame drops. Only watching directly is the problem ... maybe I have to look if there is some transcoding or similar ongoing ...

I don't have the MPEG license, however German DVB-T2 is h.265 / HEVC ... and it is only the tvheadend backend running on the Pi, not the frontend displaying the video ... so I would assume the license should not really be the issue.

krimskams