Problem with new/old installation. LOG attached!

• HI,

I used for years Openelec but after version 1 each following release had some type of problems, mainly with sound and freezing. I was very happy to hear about LibreELEC but my happiness was way too short...
    After trying to upgrade from Openelec, everything was fine except when the system comes out of sleep, I had an endless "working..." sign.

So I decided to start fresh with a new installation of Libreelec. After scanning all the media, setting up all, when the system comes out of sleep I have the same icon with "working..."! every single time.
    I noticed that after it comes out form sleep it displys the message that the media drives have successfully disconnected but did not connect back. Of course if I rebbot I solve the problem but only until the system goes back to sleep.
    I have a Zotac ID41 with Atom 1.8G quad core, nVidia. Running Kodi in Ubuntu 14 works fine with not problems having exact same adons and setup. Have not touched the BIOS from years.

Please take a look at my log:

Code
    http://pastebin.com/e7KKxVJn

Please help.

Another problem I noticed that from LiberELEC adon: I disconnect the WiFi but the WiFi module is still ON since the blue LED is still ON. In OpenELEC, it used to turn OFF.

Edited once, last by DigitALL (June 7, 2016 at 12:27 AM).

• Official Post

You could start testing with a LibreELEC setup that is actually clean. Meaning, without the boblight stuff AND without the repos with the not-so-legal addon crap from xbmchub and dnarepo. Those 3rd party repos can also have functionality beyond Kodi's control.

Wether the wifi module is correctly supported, I don't know. It could be a Linux kernel thing. A clean install, along with a pastebin'd listing of dmesg might help.

• OK, I have done what it is required but there still are major problems with LibreELEC! I do not know how to use dmesg.

Please read what steps I have done:
    - Boot in Ubuntu, from a root file manager deleted all content in the partition with the LibreELEC program.
    - Also deleted all content in the boot partition of LibreELEC.
    - downloaded a new LibreELEC file, unpacked the file, uploaded the target folder content to boot partition of LibreELEC.
    - restarted the system and boot in LibreELEC, installed successfully. However during the fast installation it showed some failed/red lines.
    - confirmed that all works fine, all media drives were connected. (I have eight hard drives connected via USB hub that worked fine for years in OpenELEC and Ubuntu, did not changed any setups, did not touched any BIOS or anything).
    - reboot, all works fine. Enabled the logging.
    - Went to Videos/Files/ and played a movie for few seconds. Stopped.
    - From remote: Power/Suspend
    - Left the system few minutes in suspend then wake from remote.
    - LibreELEC shows "Successfully removed drives" BUT did not showed reconnecting them. After about 30 seconds it displayed again "Succefully removed drives" (?!?)
    - Checking Video/Files, no drives connected!
    - Trying to reboot, click Reboot, for few seconds nothing happens, the screen comes back to normal, try again reboot from remote, screen comes back to normal after few seconds!
    - Forced power down from PC power button.
    - Reboot (I believe that is the reason I have two log files)
    - Drives are connected with the no problem.
    Obviously there are no adons, no features installed, just plain LibreELEC.

The log file with the problem:

Code
    http://pastebin.com/hmBwj2sY

The log file after reboot:

Code
    http://pastebin.com/DgjHcKKN
    • Official Post

A dmesg listing can easily obtained via SSH:

Code
    dmesg | pastebinit

"confirmed that all works fine, all media drives were connected."

So all problems start when 8 (...) USB drives are attached? 8 drives with possibly different external casings, each with a different USB controller?
    Test with attaching each USB disk separately, and see if your problems arise.

• Official Post

when the system comes out of sleep I have the same icon with "working..."! every single time.

So do I get this right? The initial problem is gone and the system wakes up without the "working...."??

If yes, I would fully agree with Klojum. Unplug all your USB drives and attach them one after the other...

- suspend machine
    - attach a drive-
    - wake up the machine and see if the drive is connected
    - if yes, suspend again
    - attach another drive
    - wake up again ...

and so on

• Yes, the initial problem with the "working..." icon is not there anymore with a fresh installation.
    However, it seems that the problem is still related between new/old installation: when it comes out of suspend does NOT re-connect the drives and also the system could not be rebooted. <-- These are two major problems!

I have two Mediasonic hard drive enclosures and each holds 4 drives. This setup I have it working from more than 3 years and it does work fine in Kodi (Ubuntu) and OpenELEC. Why would I want to screw around with drives that it is confirmed working with similar programs? It is obvious that it is something wrong or incomplete with LibreELEC release.
    I have just installed OpenElec 6.0.3 from backup and as expected, the drives connect and diconnect as it should. I wanted to change to LibreELEC since I thought it is better and it has less bugs. I would think that if someone would look into processes when coming out of suspend, it will be found that most likely some sort of USB drivers or some process would not reload.

If the logs files does not tell the problem, then what is it left to do? Is it possible that with both OpenElec and LibreELEC has been put too much focus in releases for ARM CPU's or other crappy processors and it was all assumed that Intel could take it?

Edited once, last by DigitALL (June 8, 2016 at 3:30 AM).

• Official Post

If the logs files does not tell the problem, then what is it left to do?

Klojum already told you

Get us a

Code
    dmesg | pastebinit

Then suspend and wake up again

Then get us another dmesg which should show the error

• I have installed the new 7.02 and it has exactly the same problems, so it appears it does not originate from kernel.

To wrap things up shortly:
    - clean install on a Zbox, Intel Atom 1.8, 4Gb Ram, used "generic" version. I have two hard drives bays Mediasonic, usb2, each with 4 disk of 2TB each, all with EXT4 format.
    - All works fine after installation and at every reboot.
    - After suspend, the drives do not re-connect, the reboot menu does not work anymore. Ubuntu and Openelec do not have these problems installed in the same h/w config.

I have posted some logs before using v.6 with the same problem but apparently nothing has been found to fix it. I wish to help and fix this problem that I am sure it is not specifically related to my config but probably to few Intel/Atom configs.
    Please suggest what to do and what to provide.
    How should I run "dmesg | pastebinit"? From another computer via terminal accessing the Libre via network? What is the login and pass?
    In terminal I do: ssh [email protected] (my htpc IP) but nothing happens. The SSH is enabled in Libre.

Update:
    I have SSH connected to Libre and after reboot, all drives connected OK, the "dmesg | pastebinit" command returned:
    OIii
    Placed the htpc in suspend, wake, the drives did not connect. The wheel with "working" is all the time. Connected to SSH and the "dmesg | pastebinit" command returned:
    PLBD
    Please let me know what should I do.

Edited once, last by DigitALL (October 1, 2016 at 12:29 AM).