[solved/no bug] HW decode of 10-bit HEVC not working on Intel's new Baby Canyon

• Hi!

Hardware: Intel NUC7i3BNK with i3 Baby Canyon.
    Software: v7.95.2 BETA
    Test video: 2160p (4k) with 10-bit HEVC and 7.1 Dolby Digital Atmos

Result: >100% CPU usage and severe lagging. Unwatchable, and even difficult to just stop the video. The hardware *should* support 10-bit HEVC.

Here's the debug log: UAHU

Any ideas?

Edited once, last by twarkie (February 3, 2017 at 1:30 PM).

• Kodi does not support hardware decode of 10-bit HEVC yet, it is still being developed and should appear in v18 in the future. Until then it is being software decoded by ffmpeg hence the CPU usage you're seeing.

Well ok then, that was simple :)

Thanks, I'll mark this thread as solved somehow.

Edited once, last by twarkie (February 3, 2017 at 1:30 PM).

• Hi!

just bought a NUC7i3BNK myself, which test clips do you use? I'd like to verify your results...

Can you run LE at 3840x2160@60Hz? I cannot get it to work, 30Hz only. My old zotac box (nvidia) had no problems with 4k 60hz on my TV (Sony KD-65X8505).

Cheers

Edited once, last by nailbomb (February 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM).

• Hi!

just bought a NUC7i3BNK myself, which test clips do you use? I'd like to verify your results...

Can you run LE at 3840x2160@60Hz? I cannot get it to work, 30Hz only. My old zotac box (nvidia) had no problems with 4k 60hz on my TV (Sony KD-65X8505).

Cheers

My test clip is actually a full movie. I'll send you some info in PM.

I can't go to 60Hz either, but even if I could I would still use 1080p as recommended here: Should I configure Kodi with 2160p (4K) or 1080p resolution (upscaling)?
    xrandr shows 30Hz max as well so it's not a kodi issue at least. I might look more into it during the weekend.

PS. We should create a new thread for the new nucs. Feels like more questions will come soon.

• My test clip is actually a full movie. I'll send you some info in PM.

I can't go to 60Hz either, but even if I could I would still use 1080p as recommended here: Should I configure Kodi with 2160p (4K) or 1080p resolution (upscaling)?
    xrandr shows 30Hz max as well so it's not a kodi issue at least. I might look more into it during the weekend.

PS. We should create a new thread for the new nucs. Feels like more questions will come soon.

Done :D thread-4494.html

Can't go back to 1080, 4k background slideshows are simply too gorgeous :cool: