DVB issue since LE switched to kernel 4.9.x

• My hardware: Rpi3, DVBSky s960 DVB-S2 tuner (connected to the same RPi3).
    Software: VDR/VNSI (both frontend and backend are on the same RPi3).

I was using nightly Milhouse builds and this hardware combination worked perfectly fine until build #1215. That build was the first one that used the new 4.9.0 kernel.
    I noticed a somewhat rare, intermittent video corruption when watching 1080i h.264 TV channels - usually a flash of green artifacts. Those video artifacts appear once in 5-10 minutes (sometimes more frequent).

That issue is still present in LE 7.95.1 and latest Milhouse builds. It is also present in kernel 4.10-rc Milhouse test builds. Only builds based on the 4.8.x kernel (and older) don't have this issue.

Got exactly same bad experience with my dvb-s card on kszaq amlogic s905x builds. Doesn't matter if I use TVH or VDR getting plenty of artifacts and green screens :/ I was going crazy and start thinking of returning this sat card. Probably there is same problem with kernel on my box.... Any chance you could compile 905x build for me smp?

• Probably there is same problem with kernel on my box.... Any chance you could compile 905x build for me smp?

Amlogic devices have nothing to do with linux kernel 4.x. They provide their own kernel which is currently based on linux 3.14.

Edited once, last by smp (March 2, 2017 at 2:36 PM).

• Amlogic devices have nothing to do with linux kernel 4.x. They provide their own kernel which is currently based on linux 3.14.

Yeah, got explanation from kszaq as well. Well how about rpi first generation ? Would you compile img for me with proper kernel just to test if it's any better?

• Maybe I can add another variable to the discussion: I use IPTV and therefore no USB device, however I have the same (green lower image distortion) issues with recordings with the latest libreelec rpi3 builds (beta 10 was fine). Issue is only occurring to me with recordings -I haven't found anything during live TV yet... Can I somehow assist further?

• Thanks for this thread! I am getting install errors on both builds as it says the kernel is not compatible with my hardware. I am running LE 8 on a RPi3. Really confusing, any ideas what the issue could be? Was really excited that I was onto something here that would fix 1080i TV
    thanks for your efforts!

• Raspberry pi2 and tevii s660 usb dvb-s2 card. A lot of green image distortion. Sometimes audio desynchronisation and modulated. When image get distortion, whole system is slow down, remote works very slow. Need to restart. Tried updates from post #14 and #22 but it doesn't help.

• I have here Index of /Test/dvbskys960/
    an Generic image with 4.9-RC1, would be nice if someone could confirm that the error is there or not

I have just been testing this build and the error is there too...
    I received Continuity Counter errors in my tvh logfile and a blocky on-screen picture within a couple of minutes of playing live tv:

Prior to that I've been running smp's Generic build with the 4.8 kernel for a whole week, and didn't get a single Continuity Counter error.

Let me know if there are any more 4.9-based builds you'd like me to try, if that would help pin-point where the problem was introduced.

• I've got the same issue with Rpi3 and dvb Sky S960-CI
    Today i tried the 8.0.0 kernel 4.8.13 with mb.. still conituity counter errors. The build without media_build works fine for me. :cool:

at my tv only the channels on 1 mux had problems... Astra 19.2E - 12226.5 H

Edited once, last by maroi (March 8, 2017 at 5:04 PM).

• Today i tried the 8.0.0 kernel 4.8.13 with mb.. still conituity counter errors. The build without media_build works fine for me. :cool:

This is odd. Probably some media_build driver issue, unrelated to the issue I described in my original post.

On my RPi3 + DVBSky s960 I tested the following:

Official build - 8.0.0 with media_build, kernel 4.9.8 - problematic (as described in original post). Advanced deinterlacing causing video corruption.
    8.0.0 without media_build, kernel 4.9.8 - problematic (as described in original post). Advanced deinterlacing causing video corruption.
    8.0.0 with media_build, kernel 4.8.13 - no issues. Can use Advanced deinterlacing, no video corruption.
    8.0.0 without media_build, kernel 4.8.13 - no issues. Can use Advanced deinterlacing, no video corruption.

Edited once, last by smp (March 7, 2017 at 10:01 PM).

• 8.0 with kernel 4.8 with media worked great for me, no more continuity counter error (had to use with media as was getting "linuxdvb: Unable to provide BER value and linuxdvb: Unable to provide UNC value" with no meida
    Thank you very much - let's hope this gets resolved in a newer kernel

Edited once, last by adster13 (March 9, 2017 at 9:34 AM).

• here are 3 versions (Generic) with partly reverted kernel 4.9
    Index of /Test/dvbskys960/

would be nice if someone could test it, if one of the images work it is much much easier to track down the faulty commit

This morning I tried: LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0-rev1-6b5e09a.img.gz
    This one still had the Continuity Counter errors - and infact they seemed to occur more regularly than with all the other 4.9 kernel-based builds I've tried (like every 10-20 seconds, rather than every 2-3 minutes).

I'll try to find time at some point to test the other two.

• This morning I tried: LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0-rev1-6b5e09a.img.gz
    This one still had the Continuity Counter errors - and infact they seemed to occur more regularly than with all the other 4.9 kernel-based builds I've tried (like every 10-20 seconds, rather than every 2-3 minutes).

I'll try to find time at some point to test the other two.

I have just been testing: LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0-rev2-2937f37.img.gz
    This one seems to resolve the issue - I've been playing a HD channel for over an hour now without any issues.
    I'll continue running this build for the rest of the day just to be sure, but early indications are good.