DVB issue since LE switched to kernel 4.9.x

• what tuner do you use ? (pls test also Generic x86_64, ver. 8.0.0, kernel 4.8.13, with media_build - tx!! smp)

We are currently suspecting that some usb change made it worse then in 4.8, but still didn't found a solution.

I'm using the DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2 adapter.

BTW I had also posted here: thread-4878.html and tried the various test builds with the 4.9 kernel which you sent me last week...

I shall test with Generic x86_64, ver. 8.0.0, kernel 4.8.13, with media_build later today or tomorrow and report back.

• https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3rdalgiz61b4y...b.tar?dl=1 - Generic x86_64, ver. 8.0.0, kernel 4.8.13, with media_build

Would it be possible for you to prepare a media_build build as well?

;)

tried the various test builds with the 4.9 kernel which you sent me last week

sorry i have serious problems to keep track at the used hw/problems from the ppls, i do a lot cross support at various boards and I often forget what the actually issue was ;D

• Thank you.

I can confirm that the 4.8.13 kernel removes all the problems I was having with the last couple of LibreELEC pre-releases and with the final release.

I did notice something after the final upgrade (to the release) that makes me wonder if the problem with the latest kernel is rooted just in the USB subsystem:
    I had a repeatable occurrence of green blocking on the bottom part of the video also during a playback of a 1080p recording from the SD card (it was not stored on a USB disk).
    Since the RPi has tvheadend with two DVB-C adapters running in the background it could still be related to the USB - perhaps a EPG scan was running.

If this was not a very unfortunate coincidence - and I am unable to repeat the display corruption with the same file on the 4.8.13 kernel - than it might be that the green artefacts are being caused by a combination of more than one factor, or that it is not really a USB subsystem related problem, but something related to the accelerated video playback or DVB subsystem.

-- Regards, Matej.

• I can't really follow, does it works at 4.8 regardless if with or without media_build ? If yes then it is likely a usb problem (maybe something different) and has nothing to do with the dvb drivers. Of course it opens a gigantic field of possibilities ;D I try to find something suspicious. Btw I try to do you a 4.10 build maybe it is already fixed there and we can backport it.

• I can't really follow, does it works at 4.8 regardless if with or without media_build ? If yes then it is likely a usb problem (maybe something different) and has nothing to do with the dvb drivers. Of course it opens a gigantic field of possibilities ;D I try to find something suspicious. Btw I try to do you a 4.10 build maybe it is already fixed there and we can backport it.

It worked without media_build. I haven't repeated the recording playback test after getting the media_build version.

I'll try to test the 4.10 build in the evening. I hope I find the time to do it today.

• Just to make things clear: media_build has nothing to do with the issue from my original post. I made 2 versions (media_build and non-media_build) because some DVB devices only work with media_build drivers and some devices for whatever reason only work with default kernel drivers.

The issue occur with and without media_build as long as the build is based on 4.9 kernel.

Kernel 4.10 has the same issue as 4.9 - it does not fix anything. Only kernel 4.8 and earlier work as expected.

• Just to make things clear: media_build has nothing to do with the issue from my original post. I made 2 versions (media_build and non-media_build) because some DVB devices only work with media_build drivers and some devices for whatever reason only work with default kernel drivers.

The issue occur with and without media_build as long as the build is based on 4.9 kernel.

Kernel 4.10 has the same issue as 4.9 - it does not fix anything. Only kernel 4.8 and earlier work as expected.

Thanks for that, I understand is not to do with media_build and is kernel related I just wanted to make sure I used the correct one.
    So with that, I should just try one and see if it works with my DVB devices? Currently using LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0.tar

• Tried to build with 4.9-rc1 but failed.
    linux-01-RPi_support.patch from 8.0.0 seem to be incompatible and it does not build so I have no idea how to proceed.
    For what it's worth I tried a 4.9.0 build a while ago and the issue is definitely there.

• does it works at 4.8 regardless if with or without media_build ?

Yes I can confirm this, I have tried the 8.0.0 Kernel 4.8 builds (with and without media_build) as supplied by smp on my Generic x86_64 HTPC and both are working well with my DVBSky S960 tuners.