Confused with docker behaviour

• Docker works fine on my amlogic S905 box and intel mini pc. Thanks for wonderful works.

I'm using mainly as Plex server. :)

But when I tried using PlexKodiConnect with amlogic S905 box, which also serve as Plex media server too, it can load all videos from Plex but just can't play. I don't know if this is a bug using both client and docker server on the same machine, or maybe just my error configuration. But I can play PlexKodiConnect on other Kodi box with no issue.

Anyway, not really a big deal for me. Because I'm not using that docker server box to play video much.

• Docker works fine on my amlogic S905 box and intel mini pc. Thanks for wonderful works.

But when I tried using PlexKodiConnect with amlogic S905 box, which also serve as Plex media server too, it can load all videos from Plex but just can't play. I don't know if this is a bug using both client and docker server on the same machine, or maybe just my error configuration. But I can play PlexKodiConnect on other Kodi box with no issue.

Anyway, not really a big deal for me. Because I'm not using that docker server box to play video much.

You know, I never tried to play on the same device that plex server was running on. I tried it on a chromebox and an rpi3 but tested playing on other clients.

What exactly is the issue with playback? Is it buffering? Stuttering? Not starting at all?

A couple of things I can think of are, s905 is an arm processor, not a whole lot of cpu power. You can ssh in check the cpu usage while attempting to play.

Disk or network io may also be the problem. I'm not sure if plex recognizes that the server and the client are running on the same machine, because docker uses its own virtual lan that is bridged. Maybe plex is trying to transcode, thinking it's a remote server? I'm not sure. Can you see in plexkodiconnect whether it is direct playing or not?

EDIT: I have an s905 box on order, which should be here next week. I'll certainly try it on there.

Edited once, last by aptalca (January 28, 2017 at 3:05 AM).

• I'm trying to get the linuxserver docker addons working but though I can see them as installed and enabled, I can't access the web interface of any of the installed dockers. The output of the commands as suggested by you are at this post

thread-4062-post-30130.html#pid30130

What platform are you on and what version of le? Is this the same system you installed Plex docker on through command line? "docker images" should show all the images downloaded. Yours doesn't show any. That is very strange because that's the first thing the addon does and I can't think of why it fails. Maybe out of disk space? Or Internet connection failure?

After enabling the addons, how long did you wait? Can you do "top" in terminal (after enabling) and see whether it is attempting to download the images?

• I think I just found a bug. If you don't have the timezone set in the settings, the script hits an error early and never does anything. Can you check in your settings to see whether the timezone is set or not? It is under interface settings/regional

Thanks

• Is it normal that Plex docker delays to start almost 10 minute every time LibreELEC reboots?

I have to wait almost 10 mins before I can access Plex media library. In contrast to Portainer docker that starts immediately on boot with LibreELEC.

Edited: just try to reboot again and now Plex can start immediately. That's weird. :huh:

Edited once, last by pawnthep (February 1, 2017 at 1:02 AM).

• Is it normal that Plex docker delays to start almost 10 minute every time LibreELEC reboots?

I have to wait almost 10 mins before I can access Plex media library. In contrast to Portainer docker that starts immediately on boot with LibreELEC.

Edited: just try to reboot again and now Plex can start immediately. That's weird. :huh:

When you reboot, it tries to update the docker image first. If there is no update, it starts right away. But if there's an update, it will download and extract it first, and then start the container.

Plex docker image is fairly large and on wifi download may take longer, and with low powered devices the extraction may add more time.

Portainer does the same thing too, but its image is tiny so the delay is not noticeable.

Edited once, last by aptalca (February 1, 2017 at 3:15 PM).

• I think I just found a bug. If you don't have the timezone set in the settings, the script hits an error early and never does anything. Can you check in your settings to see whether the timezone is set or not? It is under interface settings/regional

Thanks

Kodi timezone settings? Yes, timezone is set.

I am on LE 7.0.2 generic

I removed the previous images installed using command line and started fresh with the linuxserver repo to avoid any conflicts hence the docker command gives empty response.

NEVER MIND: It worked just as I was typing out this post. Maybe I wasn't waiting long enough and the image was still downloading. Since there is no indication I must have believed its already installed. Thanks!

P.S. Any Logitech Media Server container as easy to install as the above? This is cool!

• Glad to hear it worked. Unfortunately Linuxserver does not have a docker image for lms, so no addon for it.

But I believe there are some images on docker hub made by others. You can install them through portainer

• Thank you for your awesome help!

Some guidance with portainer please! So I installed it, enter the web UI from my windows PC, create a password, log in. After that in the connection page I have to enter remote connection, right? But here if I enter the IP address of my machine running LE/ portainer docker what happens if the IP address changes after reboots? And after connecting it took me to a dashboard where my running plex container was not listed. Everything was 0. Anything needed to be configured under networks etc? If there is some guide, please do point to it.

• Thank you for your awesome help!

Some guidance with portainer please! So I installed it, enter the web UI from my windows PC, create a password, log in. After that in the connection page I have to enter remote connection, right? But here if I enter the IP address of my machine running LE/ portainer docker what happens if the IP address changes after reboots? And after connecting it took me to a dashboard where my running plex container was not listed. Everything was 0. Anything needed to be configured under networks etc? If there is some guide, please do point to it.

No, you have to select the local option. Even though you are connecting remotely, portainer is running on the same machine docker service is running on, so it needs to connect to the local service.

Once you do that, all containers and images should show up.

Just a word of caution, don't use portainer to manage linuxserver addon installed containers, because the addons have their built in start, stop mechanisms through systemd and stopping and starting them through portainer will cause issues.

You should use portainer to only manage containers you create through portainer itself.

• No, you have to select the local option. Even though you are connecting remotely, portainer is running on the same machine docker service is running on, so it needs to connect to the local service.

Once you do that, all containers and images should show up.

Just a word of caution, don't use portainer to manage linuxserver addon installed containers, because the addons have their built in start, stop mechanisms through systemd and stopping and starting them through portainer will cause issues.

You should use portainer to only manage containers you create through portainer itself.

Duly noted, thanks.

One last thing. When the docker starts, if I go to my System Info window, the IP address of the LE box shows as 172.17.0.1

If I issue docker stop and stop all containers, the IP address is restored to the correct one. And upon restart of docker reverts back to 172.17.0.1. Any way to fix this? When I was manually running docker I think I was able to solve this by appending "--net=host" to the docker start command.

• Duly noted, thanks.

One last thing. When the docker starts, if I go to my System Info window, the IP address of the LE box shows as 172.17.0.1

If I issue docker stop and stop all containers, the IP address is restored to the correct one. And upon restart of docker reverts back to 172.17.0.1. Any way to fix this? When I was manually running docker I think I was able to solve this by appending "--net=host" to the docker start command.

It's just a visual bug. Kodi retrieves all network interfaces from os and displays the first ip from that list in the gui. When docker is running, there are multiple network interfaces and the first ip happens to be the one for docker's internal virtual interface ip.

Don't worry, it doesn't actually change kodi's ip address.

In fact, I have a fire tv running kodi and it shows a weird ip that is not even in my lan ip range, within kodi. But I can connect to it through the fire tv's ip. The one shown in kodi must be some internal virtual lan used by the fire tv.

Just set up my s905x box and installed the plex docker addon. I am able to play videos from plex on the same machine using the official plex addon for kodi.

• Just set up my s905x box and installed the plex docker addon. I am able to play videos from plex on the same machine using the official plex addon for kodi.

Hello all,

I'm trying to do the same setup (having both server + player running on a s905x).

I have both addons installed, but I'm struggling setting up the server.

My files are on a NAS connected on the same network as my s905x. I was able to access them with Kodi by using SMB sources, but now I want to see them when configuring the Plex Media Server with the web interface. Any idea of how to do it ?

• Just go to Plex addon config and set the Movies/TV folders to match your media sources. :)

Also You have to use network-mount method to make this works too.

Edited once, last by pawnthep (April 23, 2017 at 2:31 AM).