[RESOLVED] Wired connection IP address acquisition delay?

• Hi,

I recently migrated from Kodibuntu to LIbreELEC. LibreELEC is taking 5-10 minutes before it will connect to my wired (static ip) network.
    Log file is not capturing any networking details other than Kodi is unable to update video library.
    I have previously ran Kodibuntu for the last 5 years without any network issues or delays.
    I am running LibreELEC on a Zotac ZBOX-ID41-U.

Any guidance would be appreciated thanks.

Edited once, last by RyanW (June 2, 2016 at 5:00 PM).

• Official Post

Would need to see the output of

Code
    dmesg

Can you explain more about your network? Is it given a static ip from your router or network switch or did you set it as static in the settings addon?

Can you try with dhcp and see if it works?

• Would need to see the output of

Code
    dmesg

Can you explain more about your network? Is it given a static ip from your router or network switch or did you set it as static in the settings addon?

Can you try with dhcp and see if it works?

Static ip given by my router. I tried dhcp and the delay was the same 5-10 minutes before aquiring ip address.
    dmesg output:

RUvtLPn4

Edited once, last by lrusak (May 27, 2016 at 7:29 AM).

• Havent seen that bug for a long time.
    Could be related to the Network driver loaded for your card. The r8169 driver was sometimes a bit buggy for me when i used it under unRaid.
    What helped in my case was to use the r8168 driver supplied by Realtek and to blacklist the r8169 driver.

I dont know if the r8168 driver is included in Libreelec.

• Havent seen that bug for a long time.
    Could be related to the Network driver loaded for your card. The r8169 driver was sometimes a bit buggy for me when i used it under unRaid.
    What helped in my case was to use the r8168 driver supplied by Realtek and to blacklist the r8169 driver.

I dont know if the r8168 driver is included in Libreelec.

I read about the driver issues which was a dead end with apt-get disabled in libreelec. In testing I connected the box with two other routers and no issue aquiring network (ready as soon as Kodi is loaded). It has to be something with my router (Netgear WNDR3700v2 ) that is running DD-WRT v3.0-r29346 std (03/25/16). To make things even more puzzling my second router used as a Wifi AP in my 2 story house is running the same version of DD-WRT albeit different hardware (Dlink DIR-825).

• RyanW

Small correction, apt-get is not "disabled", it is a package management utility for Debian. LibreELEC is a completely different distribution and does not have package management in the traditional sense.

Over to your actual problem, there should be logs both in systemd and in your router about what is going on, please provide them.

• echo "r8169" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

^^ that will blacklist r8169 so r8168 can be used (if that's the issue) but the Kernel drivers improved and I didn't see that problem for a while.

I attempted the blacklist and it too has the same delay in aquiring network. Thanks for the tip.
    [hr]

echo "r8169" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

^^ that will blacklist r8169 so r8168 can be used (if that's the issue) but the Kernel drivers improved and I didn't see that problem for a while.

Correction on first attempt it didnt work. In looking through the log files i noticed:
    systemd-udevd[254]: libkmod: kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf line 1: ignoring bad line starting with 'r8169'

I reran the command echo "blacklist r8169" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with blacklist in the qoutes and i now aquire network immediatley.
    Thank you to all that provided input!

Edited once, last by RyanW (June 2, 2016 at 5:00 PM).