Help with NUC Installation

• Hi,

I'm trying to install on a NUC Celeron. I previously had OpenELEC. I have downloaded and extracted the image to a USB drive as stated on the wiki. I go to the installation menu and select quick install but it says NO DEVICE FOUND. How do I install LE without altering my devic so that I can go back to OE if I wish?

Thanks.

• Official Post

There's no need to extract anything to a USB drive. Take a backup. Move the backup off-box for safe keeping. Update directly from OE to LE using the normal OE/LE manual update method (drop the tar file in the update-files samba share). Give it a week or two and then throw the backup when you're happy there's no need to go back to OE.

• Hi,

I'm trying to install on a NUC Celeron. I previously had OpenELEC. I have downloaded and extracted the image to a USB drive as stated on the wiki. I go to the installation menu and select quick install but it says NO DEVICE FOUND. How do I install LE without altering my devic so that I can go back to OE if I wish?

Thanks.

I had openelec on a celeron nuc, I just stuck the generic image in the update folder & rebooted. Didn't do a new install.

No device found, means either the stick is not been made bootable, or you need to check your bios settings.
    Not so long ago, I tried a fresh install of openelec & had a similar problem, for me, it was a problem with the bios, sorry can't remember, but not all stick work. I have a phillips usb, it boots from the rear usb port on the nuc, but not the front, whereas my other boots fine from the front.

• I had openelec on a celeron nuc, I just stuck the generic image in the update folder & rebooted. Didn't do a new install.

No device found, means either the stick is not been made bootable, or you need to check your bios settings.
    Not so long ago, I tried a fresh install of openelec & had a similar problem, for me, it was a problem with the bios, sorry can't remember, but not all stick work. I have a phillips usb, it boots from the rear usb port on the nuc, but not the front, whereas my other boots fine from the front.

Thanks for the reply.

I could stick the generic image in the update folder but then that would be my OpenELEC USB changed to LibreELEC for good won't it? While I appreciate it is the best solution here - I do want to have the option to return to OpenELEC if possible should anything go awry.

The LE installation stick is in exactly the same USB port as the one that OpenELEC is working fine from, so not sure what the issue is. This would be my preferred option as I think I'm right in saying that I could just swap the USBs round to suit whichever OS I fancy using. Is this correct?

Thanks again.
    [hr]

There's no need to extract anything to a USB drive. Take a backup. Move the backup off-box for safe keeping. Update directly from OE to LE using the normal OE/LE manual update method (drop the tar file in the update-files samba share). Give it a week or two and then throw the backup when you're happy there's no need to go back to OE.

What is the easiest way to take a backup? Is it literally copying everything from the USB?

Edited once, last by scarletlion (May 23, 2016 at 9:38 PM).

• Thanks for the reply.

I could stick the generic image in the update folder but then that would be my OpenELEC USB changed to LibreELEC for good won't it? While I appreciate it is the best solution here - I do want to have the option to return to OpenELEC if possible should anything go awry.

The LE installation stick is in exactly the same USB port as the one that OpenELEC is working fine from, so not sure what the issue is. This would be my preferred option as I think I'm right in saying that I could just swap the USBs round to suit whichever OS I fancy using. Is this correct?

Thanks again.
    [hr]

What is the easiest way to take a backup? Is it literally copying everything from the USB?

I use 2 different usb sticks. I use clonezilla to clone one usb to the other, & alternate between the two.

• Thanks for all this.

So OE and LE are quite interchangeable then? For instance if I:

- backup my OE via the backup addon
    - drag the LE image file into update folder
    - Update to LE
    - Then if I decide I want to go back to OE, I can restore the OE backup (whilst operating in LE) with no consequences?

Thanks

• Official Post

If you downgrade (update) from LE back to OE it's best to do a hard reset and then restore the OE backup you created before upgrading, but otherwise that's correct; at the current time things are still quite interchangeable. The main point is to take a backup. This ensures you can either restore stuff directly into a clean install of OE or unpack the backup and selectively restore bits to OE or LE again in the future. If something goes wrong (and sometimes it just does .. computers) your lack of backup is not our problem :)

• So which one do I need to drop in the update folder? I'm guessing the .tar zip file?

New Install and Manual Update for LibreELEC (.img.gz)

or

Manual Update from OpenELEC (.tar)

?

Thanks
    [hr]
    Right, it seems to have worked. First impressions = very very nice. Snappier, faster boot. Looking very good indeed. cheers chaps.

Hopefully this will be replicated for all my Kodi devices long term.

Thanks again

Edited once, last by scarletlion (May 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM).