Support for USB Gigabit LAN/802.11ac adapter?

• The adaptor has arrived and I've just done some initial testing as I haven't much time.

A 4K file that was buffering now plays fine. Copying a 110MB file across the network straight to the box took 3.1 secs which is about 35MB/s. A larger file started at about the same speed, dropped to zero, went back to the same speed etc. The inbuilt network port does the same, which I assume it due to the memory buffer being filled and the data been flushed to the slow writing USB stick I use for Libreelec.

Tried iperf to measure properly, but although this seems to connect no data seems to be transmitted. Need to try another of my machines.

Edited once, last by steve_192 (January 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM).

• 35 MB/s is about the limit of USB2 hi speed transfer speed (which is 480 MBit/s, but has significant overhead). Could you check which chip is used in your adapter?

• I,m also in the process of trying this, I have my USB adapter plugged into the Rpi2, but the link is down and I can't figure out how to bring it up and get it to connect to my network. How did you get one of these working?

• mmpp

It has the ASIX AX88179 chipset as recommended by Pelican on page 2 of this thread.

cabbresson

I didn't do anything. It worked upon boot.

[Edit: Got iperf working]

Edit 2: The above is with my Nexbox as the server (i.e. the Nexbox is receiving) The other way round the trasnfer is circa 186 Mbits/sec.

Edited once, last by steve_192 (January 10, 2017 at 10:51 PM).

• Congratulations! :)

• I have a long shot you might try. Is yours a scenario with an AVR involved ? You might want to confirm your audio settings are defaulted to 2.0 speaker settings. Kodi is counter intuitive when it comes to surround settings, if you run a 5.1 rig you're bound to select 5.1 settings..but you shouldnt. This results in the "appearently bandwidth related" issues.

Is this true about the AVR settings? my pioneer htp 073 seems to work perfectly with my kodi audio system settings at 5.1.

• These settings are necessary if you use spdif to connect to the receiver or the HDMI connection is limited by the device.

For any avr that accepts multi channel audio over HDMI you can input the actual speaker setup on a amlogic s905 device.

• These settings are necessary if you use spdif to connect to the receiver or the HDMI connection is limited by the device.

For any avr that accepts multi channel audio over HDMI you can input the actual speaker setup on a amlogic s905 device.

Why do you narrow it down to only S905? S905X is the same, isn't it?

• Can you tell me how you installed iperf on libreelec? I'm finding very little info on how to add packages.

• You add it via Kodi. I'm not in front of my box at the moment but from memory go to add ons / libreelec repository, then add the "network tools" addon.

One thing to note that this installs iperf3 and not iperf, so you also need iperf3 on another network box. I was originally trying to use iperf which is why it didn't initially work.

• Well, that's a shame :( DX has told me the adapter I ordered with the AX88179 chipset is no longer available. They now want to send me one with the RTL8154 chipset.

Does anybody know if the RTL8154 chipset is also supported by the LE kernel?

• coreire was right on the money in Page#2... the v3.14 AML Linux Kernel used in AML LibreELEC and Android devices has support for ASIX Chipset USB to Ethernet adapters...

Here is a list of sources for such adapters:

• ASIX AX88772 Chipset - USB to Ethernet Adapters such as this cheap (Apple clone) one
    • Other ASIX AX compatible adapters listed HERE and HERE

For 4K video streaming you may need to increase the Kodi Video Cache as well, via advancedsettings.xml, the Kodi Wiki for that:
    HOW-TO:Modify the video cache - Official Kodi Wiki

• can someone confirm if having 40 mbs internet speed and i can still use 1 Gig USB ethernet adapter to gain more bitrate handling ?
    My 4K videos stream from the addons is hanging even if i pause the video for 5 minutes or so

• A USB gigabit adapter will not help with a 40 MBit/s internet connection, if you are already using the ethernet of your box.

To test 4k streaming, I can suggest installing the Krypton beta, the youtube and inputstream.adaptive plugins and setting up youtube to use the inputstream plugin. If you play 4k videos from youtube, it should switch to the 4k stream (inputstream will measure the internet connection on the first try and you might have to try several videos). You can then see if your connection and kodi setup can play 4k content fine.

• A USB gigabit adapter will not help with a 40 MBit/s internet connection, if you are already using the ethernet of your box.

To test 4k streaming, I can suggest installing the Krypton beta, the youtube and inputstream.adaptive plugins and setting up youtube to use the inputstream plugin. If you play 4k videos from youtube, it should switch to the 4k stream (inputstream will measure the internet connection on the first try and you might have to try several videos). You can then see if your connection and kodi setup can play 4k content fine.

I have krypton latest build and my YouTube plays 4K videos just fine always , it's only when I try 4K movies to stream from addons I get stuck or stuttering playback after 5 mins of video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk