h265 on a z-box

• So I took Windows off of my z-box as I only use it as a HTPC and put on LE. But now it will no longer play h265 files. I know the hardware is more than enough as I could do it fine with Windows and I have a crappy little Android box that does it just fine.

Do I need to change a setting? Or should I just go back to Windows due to driver issues or something?

• It doesn't contain a hardware h265 decoder so I'm surprised that it worked at all. It will have to software decode everything.

Would need to see a debug log after trying to play a h265 file

• It doesn't contain a hardware h265 decoder so I'm surprised that it worked at all. It will have to software decode everything.

Would need to see a debug log after trying to play a h265 file

well, if LE does not handle h265 then there is no need for a debug log? I should just go back to Windows?

• well, if LE does not handle h265 then there is no need for a debug log? I should just go back to Windows?

Windows has the same capability we do. h265 is just decoded in software.

Unless you have one of the brand new apollo lake / kaby lake systems, I would have to know more and see a debug log.

• Windows has the same capability we do. h265 is just decoded in software.

Unless you have one of the brand new apollo lake / kaby lake systems, I would have to know more and see a debug log.

Sorry, that was what I was getting at. Is LE supposed to be able to decode h265? Or should I not expect it to work.

• I have mini pc with intel cherry trail Z8300.

On Windows10, the capability of playing h265 is very limited and not smooth at all.

But with LibreELEC (or Ubuntu), the same box can play h265 10bit with SW decode quite smoothly. Though the CPU usage is very high.

Edited once, last by pawnthep (December 29, 2016 at 9:23 AM).

• Hmmm.... I wonder what the problem is then. Ok, thanks for the help, at least now I know it is worth looking into. Didn't want to waste time if it wasn't supposed to work in the first place.