Raspberry Pi 1 & HifiberryDAC

• Hi,

I have a strange problem:
    I'm currently testing LibreELEC BETA Version: 7.90.00x on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ with a Hifiberry DAC.
    Whenever I try to switch from HDMI audio to the analog output of the hifiberry the screen turns black an kodi becomes inresponsive.
    This problem occurs since v7.90.006, i.e. the last build with a working soundcard was v7.90.005.
    I can reach the Raspberry via ssh and webinterface, so the kodi service itself is running.

The entry for the Hifiberry in the config.ini reads:
    device_tree_overlay=overlays/hifiberry-dac.dtbo
    dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
    dtdebug=1

I attached the output of dmesg and a debug log.
    The logs are from the latest update v7.90.009.
    Let me know if you need any further information. I will stay with this build for now, so I can do further testing.

• Firstly I would try with "Normal" CPU settings not "HIgh" just in case that is affecting it
    Next remove device_tree_overlay=overlays/hifiberry-dac.dtbo

For my RPi3 and Digi my config has this: (Yes I know they are different H/W) Obviously change digi to dac. It might work.

hdmi_drive=2
    dtparam=i2c_arm=on
    dtparam=i2s=on
    dtparam=audio=off
    dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

• Hi Iridium,

Thank you for your answer.
    Tried your suggestions, unfortunately no change at all.
    Still black screen....

device_tree_overlay=overlays/hifiberry-dac.dtbo
    dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac

Remove the first line. The second line is correct.

Code
    [ 996.977697] bcm2835-dma 20007000.dma: DMA transfer could not be terminated

is certainly the problem. Can you post the working dmesg log with v7.90.005?

• Remove the first line. The second line is correct.

Code
    [ 996.977697] bcm2835-dma 20007000.dma: DMA transfer could not be terminated

is certainly the problem. Can you post the working dmesg log with v7.90.005?

-------
    I asked that:
    Firstly I would try with "Normal" CPU settings not "HIgh" just in case that is affecting it
    Next remove device_tree_overlay=overlays/hifiberry-dac.dtbo

But apparently that didn't make any difference!

• Iridium
    I tried a fresh install from v7.90.009.
    Only entries i added in config.txt are:
    dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
    dtdebug=1
    No changes, problem still persists. So its definitly nothing that came up through the update process or faulty entries in the config.txt.

popcornmix
    Attached the dmesg of the working version.

Thank you so far and have a nice holiday.

• Confirmed that it is a bug and still in v7.90.010.

To replicate, you do not need a Hifiberry-dac or clone. Just add dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac to config.txt, reboot and try and change the audio output to <alsa hifiberry> = blank screen.

There was something exactly the same with the RPi2 and the Hifiberry-Digi, related to the LIRC, where a GPIO pin reassignment was required, but I have tried that and it still didn't work. I've tried various pin adjustments but none solve the problem.

A "diff" between a working dtbo and the current one showed no difference.

It's obviously a bug but I don't know where it exists. There is nothing in "dmesg" nor kodi.log. It has to be something from V7.90.006 that has caused it as it works in LE7 (stable), Xbian (stable) and moode (current).

• Tested it today with a fresh v7.95.1.
    After first start HDMI output is working fine. Switching to Hifiberry is also working.
    But if I try to switch back to HDMI screen turns black and Raspberry is freezing again.....
    So something changed, but still not there.

• Tested it today with an updated system from v7.0.3 to v7.95.2: before it was working OK, but after the update the screen went black about a minute after the Kodi interface came up.

Just commented the:

Code
    dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac

Line and the problem goes away...I can see nothing strange in dmesg or the Kodi logs either.

Edited once, last by pachulo (February 7, 2017 at 10:31 AM).

• Could you please test if this build works on your RPi1:
    LibreELEC-RPi.arm-8.0-devel-20170225092739-r25402-g2c2b9b7.tar

This build contains backported fixes to the clock framework, without that switching between HDMI and I2S audio caused black screen and lockups on the RPi0.

LE8: add backported RPi kernel fixes by HiassofT · Pull Request #1389 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub
    thread-3848.html

Would be good to know if you are experiencing the same issue or another.

so long,

Hias

• Hi Hias,
    Tested it, works like a charm, no more black screens, lockups or other issues so far.
    Will continue using that build for a couple of days, but so far everything looks fine.
    Thanks a lot.
    Martin

• I have the exact same behaviour on my pi zero in OE 8. Will this bug be corrected with the 8.0.1 release? And can I use the above mentiomed rpi1 bugfix release safely on my pi zero?