RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Thanks for that quick reply.

I went ahead and tried to install your latest version but it fails to launch. I get a black screen with a mouse pointer. SMB access is working but can't get SSH or FTP access. I'm guessing Xorg configuration problem but I can't gain access to change it. I have a legacy nVidia card.

Have you used different root passwords? I can't get a pastebin for logs but have attached logs I got from SMB. Hopefully, you can shed some light.

log-2018-05-11-12.54.45.zip

Cheers.

• Thanks for that quick reply.

I went ahead and tried to install your latest version but it fails to launch. I get a black screen with a mouse pointer. SMB access is working but can't get SSH or FTP access. I'm guessing Xorg configuration problem but I can't gain access to change it. I have a legacy nVidia card.

Have you used different root passwords? I can't get a pastebin for logs but have attached logs I got from SMB. Hopefully, you can shed some light.

log-2018-05-11-12.54.45.zip

Cheers.

Quote from System.log

[ 19.980990] kodi.bin[1005]: segfault at 8 ip 00007fcc5224b5a8 sp 00007fff96bc58c0 error 4 in libstdc++.so.6.0.24[7fcc52172000+178000]

Looks like kodi crashs so have you tried an older version?

The root password should be you standard password so something like libreelec but ssh is disabled by default. I'm doing a full rebuild right now and going to upload them within the next days. Your nvidia GTX 745/750 something card should be supported by the recent driver.

What about escalades recents builds? TVheadend should work if you create the symlinks for the libva files.

EDIT:

try the latest build 20180511

Edited 5 times, last by 5schatten (May 11, 2018 at 8:38 PM).

• Thanks for that advice. I had some success last night but gave up as it was getting late.

I installed escalades latest build and it worked as normal. I activated SSH and then updated to your latest (20180430) and was back to the same issue but at least I had SSH but even that seemed to crash after a few minutes.

I'll try updating to your latest in a little while and let you know how it goes.

• Thanks to your info, I managed to install escalades latest build and have tvheadend working.

I have no idea why your build is having the issues with my system. I'm still hoping to find the solution so I can continue to update as new features appear but for now, I have to have the TV working to keep the wife & kids happy :)

Thank you for the help.

• 5schatten

First of all thank you very much for continuing the work of escalade, because it is the best build ever. Especially for HTPC's like my Asrock J4205.

About the issues Hoffy described. I found them, too. On my normal PC with a Nvidia graphic board connected with DVI after booting up, there is only a black screen with the mouse cursor showing up. On my J4205 HTPC connected to the HDMI output it is booting up into LE flawlessly.

A second issue i noticed is that emulationstation is going black at once without any error or crash log, if i am using the Aeon MQ5 skin. With the Estuary standard skin it is working perfect.

Edited once, last by Samui (May 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM).

• 5schatten

First of all thank you very much for continuing the work of escalade, because it is the best build ever. Especially for HTPC's like my Asrock J4205.

About the issues Hoffy described. I found them, too. On my normal PC with a Nvidia graphic board connected with DVI after booting up, there is only a black screen with the mouse cursor showing up. On my J4205 HTPC connected to the HDMI output it is booting up into LE flawlessly.

A second issue i noticed is that emulationstation is going black at once without any error or crash log, if i am using the Aeon MQ5 skin. With the Estuary standard skin it is working perfect.

I have a GTX 1060 card in my workstation but only intel IPG in my HTPCs so I haven't really tested these drivers. So I guess it's xorg server related since my systems work fine too. I updated to 1.20 RC versions and it looks like the nvidia driver didn't support xorg 1.20 in the driver version I used. Hopefully v396.24 NVIDIA fixed it.

• 5schatten

Actually for me the Nvidia drivers are not a big problem as long as my HTPC is running fine.

Especially the improvements for the frequency switching on the HDMI output of my ASROCK J4205 with the new kernel

are much better than before.

I just would like to mention 2 things if it would be possible for you to improve them:

1. Like i already wrote before, the crashes of the emulationstation with other skins

2. Would it be possible for you to update the makemkv addon to the newest release?

• 1. Are you sure it crashes? A black screen could also mean the kodifreeze command was executed but emulationstation wasn't started at all.

Have you checked your scripts?

2. I can update the version and build the package but haven't figured out how to get an update zip package as addon like escalade uploaded before.

• 5schatten

1. I am using the "command addon" for kodi and tried to start emulationstaion with this commands:

a. system.exec ('/usr/bin/emulationstation.sh')

b. just with the command emulationstation

Itś weird, sometimes emulationstation is starting into the main emulationstation screen where you can choose

your games, but if trying to start a game it will result in a black screen.

Sometimes i am getting the black screen even before i can see the emulationstation startup screen.

In both cases nothing for could follow up why it is like this in the kodi.log or kodi craslog.

2. Here you can find a description for how to compile the makemkv addon. It is described for OpenElec, but in my opinion

also should work by the same way for LibreElec:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9552

• 1. Check out this script:

LibreELEC.tv/emulationstation.sh at le82 · 5schatten/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

You have to execute the script through systemd.

2. I check out if I can adopt this tutorial.

EDIT: I've uploaded an updated makemkv package, feel free to try your luck.

Edited once, last by 5schatten (May 13, 2018 at 2:31 PM).

• I tried your script. Unfortunately the command addon i am using seems not to forward the "systemd-run" command line to the system.

#Edit

Thank you very much for the updated Makemkv - works perfectly (and also together with VPeters BD Java support addon) !

:))

Edited 2 times, last by Samui (May 13, 2018 at 4:52 PM).

• I will most likely continue making updates, just at this point I'm not sure to what degree I will focus on Kodi if at all. I still consider LibreELEC as the perfect JeOS for emulators :D

I've spoilt myself with an LG OLED and I gotta say this is a gamechanger. As you can direct play 4k HDR files through Plex I'm not sure what I need Kodi for anymore. Probably not going to worry about rebasing on LE9 any time soon. Just a heads up :)

ohh coming back here to check if there is some updates ... because my Plex server is outdated .... ^^^^

I also switch from Kodi to Plex as it offer a better way to manage shared media and many other details I prefer

But I still use your LibreElec version for emulators , Samba and Plex servers, so I hope you'll still do some updates

I also play 4K HDR files and Plex is not perfect I have some lags where Kodi play them flawless directly on my AndroidTV 4K (not with the NUC)

• avx build updated:

• avx build updated:

Does this build have the AMD stuff in it again to try?