RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Okay so this is a special amd kernel tree and once in a while they backport working stuff to the mainline kernel? Too bad because the new APUs are really interesting for a HTPC build.

• tried the update with the new file, still getting green screen. I will have to try the modesetting driver again when I have more time.

Took a peak at the hardware log, it does almost recognize my gpu. Should be vega 11 though.

09:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega [Radeon Vega 8 Mobile] [1002:15dd] (rev c6) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Vega [Radeon Vega 8 Mobile] [1043:876b]

• Hey guys, I have a question.

Background:

I am running this build as a VM on Unraid (KVM) as our families Mediacenter and everything is working fine. Now I want a nice button to switch between the Kodi-VM with Emulationstation and the Win10-gaming-VM for Steam and Origin.

My plan is to shutdown and start the VMs over ssh with screen.

Question:

How can I setup a menuentry in Kodi to start the neccesary commands/script?
    (screen virsh shutdown 'Libreelec' && sleep 8 && virsh start 'Win10gaming')

I think for Emulationstation there are already answers in here, but I dont know how to get it working in Estuary-Kodi itself.

Thank you very much for your help.

Edited 2 times, last by Hilarum (March 9, 2018 at 1:00 PM).

• escalade

Is this still valid and KMS is still superior? Or is Vulkan an option too? Haven't tested yet but I would like to hear you opinions too :)

Inspired by RetroPie/recalbox/Lakka, I've modified LE to allow for proper emulator gaming without any addons. I know there's ongoing work to integrate the libretro cores into Kodi with "retroplayer", but for the moment I'm still sticking with a standalone frontend for launching different types of emulators. One reason is that KMS (kernel mode setting) is superior with regards to input lag, another is that not all emulators have a proper core yet (amiga/c64/dosbox for example).

escalade  gwilly7

A german tech site suggested to delete the kernel command line parameter "splash" and inserted "amdgpu.dc=1" to force loading of the new display-core driver. They had the same problems while testing raving ridge as you gwilly but maybe this is only valid for older kernel 4.15.x versions.

Display Spoiler

Nachtrag vom 13. Februar 2018, 17:25 Uhr

Wir haben die Grafikausgabe der Raven Ridge unter Linux nach einigem Ausprobieren doch noch zuverlässig zum Laufen bekommen. So erreichte uns der Hinweis, dass die Verwendung von Fedora 27 mit dem aktuellen Linux-Kernel 4.15 die von uns geschilderten Probleme nicht aufweist und damit der prinzipielle Support also doch verfügbar ist.

Unter Ubuntu können wir mit dem aktuellen Linux 4.15.2 sowie mit dem RC1 von Linux 4.16 die 3D-Beschleunigung sowie das Hardware-Decoding von Raven Ridge genau dann nutzen, wenn die Option splash auf der Kernel-Kommandozeile entfernt und über amdgpu.dc=1 das Laden des neuen Display-Core-Treibers forciert wird. Letzteres sollte für Raven Ridge wie auch für Vega eigentlich standardmäßig geschehen. Die Ausgabe funktioniert dabei auch mit dem in Ubuntu 17.10 verfügbaren Mesa 17.2 und LLVM 5.0. Für eine bessere Leistung und weniger Fehler sollten interessierte Nutzer wie erwähnt aber dennoch auf Mesa 18.0 sowie das LLVM 6.0 setzen

Verfügbarkeit und Fazit - Ryzen 5 2400G und Ryzen 3 2200G im Test: Raven Ridge rockt - Golem.de

Edited 2 times, last by 5schatten (March 9, 2018 at 5:07 PM).

• Bind Emulator & Chrome to SKin Xonfluence.

Hello.Someone can tell me the Actions or shortscuts wich are used to launch Emulator and Chrome from Skin Xonfluence.

I can make Shortcuts (Kodi Actions) with this skin.

• gwilly7

Did you try forcing the modesetting driver? I don't think the default DDX driver supports it yet.

5schatten

Yes KMS gives the best RetroArch experience and still beats Vulkan as far as I can tell. Perhaps once Vulkan kan run in KMS context without X it might compete. Try it and measure it ;) There's a big thread over at the RA forums about input lag.

• I will have some time to try when I get home from work. Would this be the correct info to place in xorg.conf I was not exactly sure what to use. All of the other examples I found were for Intel.

Edited once, last by gwilly7 (March 10, 2018 at 4:07 PM).

• This did not work for me. Since I am not able to ssh in, I just put the file I created in notepad++ into the config file folder via Samba. Is this all I would have to do?