RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• The latest build is already on those versions minus a very few commits. My laptop (and also build machine) died on me in the weekend, so new builds won't be as frequent at the moment. I can build on my NUC, but I'm space limited.

• If you have a haswell or later CPU (not atom class) I've uploaded the latest build I use on my NUC under the "haswell" folder. It has 4.11-rc3 kernel, samba 4.6, systemd 233 and updated kodi/retroarch. It won't boot if your CPU does not have all of the instruction sets that haswell does.

Edited once, last by escalade (March 22, 2017 at 9:32 AM).

• If you have a haswell or later CPU (not atom class) I've uploaded the latest build I use on my NUC under the "haswell" folder. It has 4.11-rc3 kernel, samba 4.6, systemd 233 and updated kodi/retroarch. It won't boot if your CPU does not have all of the instruction sets that haswell does.

Thanks , I will test it tonight on my i5 4430

• So I managed to get my laptop up and running again, so we're back in business.

20170323:

Code
    - rebased on latest LE8
    - kodi 17.1
    - linux 4.10.5
    - samba 4.6
    - systemd 233
    - switched to emulationstation from retropie (has video support and is linked with libvlc, although this is untested)
    - glibc 2.25 (issues with building 2.24 when arch got upgraded to 2.25 made this necessary)
    - other bumped packages: mesa, libinput, openssh, libx11, dolphin, retroarch, retroarch-joypad-autoconfig

Tromzy

No issues here, both on previous build and last one with updated mesa.

Edited once, last by escalade (March 23, 2017 at 2:45 PM).

• I'm not sure what you mean. Probably you won't notice a difference, it's just I'm now using their fork instead of Herdinger's as development on his have stagnated. They have some additional bugfixes and minor features, like video preview in themes (this would need theme support) or that jumping to a letter now puts you at the first occurence of that letter. I'm still using es-simple as the standard theme.

• Hey there, I seem to be having issues still with samba. I can't connect to any Windows or Apple shares.
    Here's a snippet of the kodi log. Using the generic x86 build.

[code=php]14:38:48.928 T:140334055172224 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://
    14:38:48.928 T:140334055172224 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://) failed
    14:39:07.198 T:140331513263872 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://ARNIE-PC/' unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'
    14:39:30.558 T:140331513263872 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAME@ARNIE-PC unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'
    14:41:37.074 T:140334055172224 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://ARNIE-PC/
    14:41:37.074 T:140334055172224 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(smb://ARNIE-PC/) failed[/php]

I can't find the samba log, but this has only happend since the recent update. Any ideas how I might fix this would be great fully appreciated.

Edited once, last by lefty420 (March 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM).

• Hi all,

First I wanted to thank all the devs and those helping with the troubleshooting, this setup is exactly what I'm looking for. I was wondering if someone would be willing to help a relative Linux newbie with another sound issue in EmulationStation. I tried some of the fixes mentioned in here, and it seems like I'm running in circles. I have "Keep Audio Device Alive" disabled, and "Play GUI Sounds" is set to "Only when playback stopped". Audio works fine in LibreElec with no asound.conf mods. I have passthrough on and the passthrough device is "ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, CAT CAT-6066 on HDMI" under Audio settings. This is a fresh install, the only changes are the addition of Roms and adding TG16 as a System.

I'm using a NUC5PGYH, the quad core Pentium with built-in eMMC storage. I would assume it's the same as the NUC5PPYH without the storage built-in. When I run aplay -L I get this:

So I tried updating asound.conf to this since he (Ti-Paul) had a very similar NUC to mine:

Code
    pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm {
            @func getenv
            vars [ ALSAPCM ]
            # Device name can be found using the command 'aplay -L'
            default "hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0"
        }
    }

Running speaker-test with this gives me this error:

Also, when asound.conf is saved with default "hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=1", I just seem to get a black screen on a reboot. I have to ssh in and delete the asound.conf file and reboot again, and within seconds I'm back at my library.

I tried another suggestion from BeeGrits post which was to set asound.conf as since he mentioned similar Intel hardware:

[/code]
    This gave me this this running speaker-test:

Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction? As I mentioned, sound works fine in Kodi just not EmulationStation. I feel like I'm am almost there, and just my lack of Linux knowledge is the problem. It's probably something stupidly simple, I'm just not sure whats next. I really appreciate any help. Sorry for the first post being long, I'd rather give too much info than not enough.

Edited once, last by scv1 (March 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM).

• I tried to update to latest build this morning, but for some reason it became impossible to write to the Update folder via smb ? Have permissions changed ?

Edit : solved by using scp.

Edited once, last by Tromzy (March 23, 2017 at 3:45 PM).