Posts by scv1

You can set the hotkeys within retroarch itself. In the retroarch menu, go to input, input hotkey binds and set a key to enable hotkeys (i use start on the controller) and set a key for quit retroarch (i use select on the controller). Once done, pressing select and start together will exit retroarch. If you are using a skin other than the modified estuary, you will need to create a home screen link to retroarch which you can do using the command 'SYSTEM.EXEC(/usr/bin/retroarch.sh)'.

Thanks again, worked like a charm.

I just noticed the following. Not sure if this is the case, but you said your options were:

So you updated your asound.conf

Code
    pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm {
            @func getenv
            vars [ ALSAPCM ]
            # Device name can be found using the command 'aplay -L'
            default "hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0"
        }
    }

Your list shows your device is hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 for hdmi not hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0. Try changing it to PCH

Thank you so much, that was it. I owe you a beer or whatever your particular poison is.

One more question, would the retroarch.cfg be the appropriate file to edit to enable a hotkey for exiting the emulator? ESC works fine, but the wife wont allow a keyboard in her living room so I need to make it controller based or (I guess this is possible) remap a key on my Harmony remote for esc.

Hi all,

First I wanted to thank all the devs and those helping with the troubleshooting, this setup is exactly what I'm looking for. I was wondering if someone would be willing to help a relative Linux newbie with another sound issue in EmulationStation. I tried some of the fixes mentioned in here, and it seems like I'm running in circles. I have "Keep Audio Device Alive" disabled, and "Play GUI Sounds" is set to "Only when playback stopped". Audio works fine in LibreElec with no asound.conf mods. I have passthrough on and the passthrough device is "ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, CAT CAT-6066 on HDMI" under Audio settings. This is a fresh install, the only changes are the addition of Roms and adding TG16 as a System.

I'm using a NUC5PGYH, the quad core Pentium with built-in eMMC storage. I would assume it's the same as the NUC5PPYH without the storage built-in. When I run aplay -L I get this:

So I tried updating asound.conf to this since he (Ti-Paul) had a very similar NUC to mine:

Code
    pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm {
            @func getenv
            vars [ ALSAPCM ]
            # Device name can be found using the command 'aplay -L'
            default "hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0"
        }
    }

Running speaker-test with this gives me this error:

Also, when asound.conf is saved with default "hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=1", I just seem to get a black screen on a reboot. I have to ssh in and delete the asound.conf file and reboot again, and within seconds I'm back at my library.

I tried another suggestion from BeeGrits post which was to set asound.conf as since he mentioned similar Intel hardware:

[/code]
    This gave me this this running speaker-test:

Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction? As I mentioned, sound works fine in Kodi just not EmulationStation. I feel like I'm am almost there, and just my lack of Linux knowledge is the problem. It's probably something stupidly simple, I'm just not sure whats next. I really appreciate any help. Sorry for the first post being long, I'd rather give too much info than not enough.