RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• I tried installing over LibreELEC RR yesterday, but that didn't work out so good it seems. Chrome addon installs, but Chrome doesn't start. Tvheadend doesn't start either. I upgraded it to newest version. When I click on Desktop button Kodi disappears but the system then freezes and I see only those boot up text lines. I installed latest generic on my Ivy Bridge system.

• @AN

It's never a good idea to mix up two different distributions. Just make a clean fresh install, maybe on another storage device.

What you can do is to copy the files from inside kodi afterwards to the new installation. But not the language files, the skin and the "packages" directory - kodi will otherwise boot into the safe mode.

• Hello All,

I am writing this in the hope that someone in here also has the same setup as me and can help.

I currently run stock LibreELEC from within a VM (with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti passed through) on unRAID** and it works perfectly. Based on that machine, I have created one for RetroELEC. I can't get the RetroELEC installation to "work".

My VM details are:

CPU: 6 of 8 cores passed through

Memory: 4096MB

Machine: Q35-4.2

Bios: OVMF

HDD: SATA (5GB)

Display: 52" Plasma with 1080p panel

** Note I am posting here as I don't "think" this is an unRAID issue given I have stock LibreELEC running fine.

Like I said, exactly the same machine settings as my working LibreELEC machine. I install it easy enough (via VNC) and then stop it and pass through the card then turn to the TV. When I start the machine however, all I get is blank screen.

These are the relevant entries in the unRAID log immediately after I start the machine:

Code
    Apr 27 12:27:42 unraid kernel: vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=io+mem:owns=none
    Apr 27 12:27:42 unraid kernel: vfio_ecap_init: 0000:01:00.0 hiding ecap 0x19@0x900

When I start the machine running the stock LibreELEC, the entries are identical.

I have even (for kicks) tried running the VM setup to run the stock LibreELEC with the RetroELEC disk (JIC it WAS something that I setup differently between the machines) - same blank screen.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Daniel

• Hi Escalade,

i noticed another thing with the generic image. The addon ffmpeg-tools is not working if i try to use the ffmpeg binary inside.

The error code is 127.

• It's a very nice image but unfortunately the same issue with the PVR - VDR VNSI Client again. When the service is activated the continious reboot into Kodi is starting and after several tries Retroelec is booting into the safe mode. By the way, the FFMPEG addon is also not working. Same error code which means 'Error 127'. Seems the FFMPEG binary cannot get executed.

• Hi escalade, I installed the generic image on an USB 3 stick. Looks really amazing! Thank you so much!

I just had to give up on pairing my 8bitdos. I get them paired in Kodi, but they lose the connection before I could finish the input config in Emulationstation after couple of minutes. I ended up getting "host down" or bluetooth errors in Kodi when I tried to re-connect.

N64 emulation seems to work very good and so much better on the J5005 than on the RPi3.

PS2 however seems not to work for me. I wanted to give it a try to see if some games are playable. I placed the bios in the bios folder and the roms (bin+cue & iso) in the corresponding roms folder. After choosing a game in Emulationstation the screen goes to the nice Lambo and back to Emulationstation. Not sure what exactly happens.

Would be glad, if you can check the logs!

hastebin

Once again Thank you!!!

• Uploaded a new image with more polish for the Sway desktop. Refreshed icon set and added a couple of new things, like one-click screenshots and screen recording.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Bub4

I believe PCSX2 requires AVX-2.

Samui

I'm a bit out of sync with LE these days, so consider PVR unsupported for now. Perhaps you can get what you need running through Docker.

• Hi escalade I have added new PSX games (.bin + .cue) to the corresponding roms folder but ES doesn't update the games list. Is there a service I have to restart manually to prompt the re-scan? ES detected all games of the initial scan right.

Also ES seems to show a line for every .bin. Is there a way to force ES to show only one line?

I am on RPi4 with this one -> devel-20200313023133 (RPi4.arm). Thank you!

• Hey escalade

These might be some noob questions but I’m running the generic x86 image clean install on a dell optiplex 9020 micro. My sound works fine in kodi but in retroarch I have no sound. I use smart LG tv with hdmi. The other issue I have is that the system freezes or I get no controller support (Xbox one remote) in emulation station. Any ways I can fix these?

Thanks!

Edited once, last by ernieg: Added @ sign (May 7, 2020 at 2:13 PM).

• Hey escalade

These might be some noob questions but I’m running the generic x86 image clean install on a dell optiplex 9020 micro. My sound works fine in kodi but in retroarch I have no sound. I use smart LG tv with hdmi. The other issue I have is that the system freezes or I get no controller support (Xbox one remote) in emulation station. Any ways I can fix these?

Thanks!

you might want to check this one here regarding your sound:

RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• ernieg did you configured the gamepad in Emulation Station already? If not, here are the Keyboard bindings:

Navigation = Arrow keys

A = Enter

B = Backspace

Page up = ,

Page down = .

Start = rctrl

Select = ralt

After entering ES press rctrl and configure input.

• There's also the pavucontrol Qt app on the desktop mode (mixer icon) that should make it easier to choose the active audio output. I think I re-assigned the ES menu buttons to left alt/ctrl due to lack of these on the right hand side on Mac keyboards.

• escalade, do you have an idea how to prompt a re-scan of game roms in Emulationstation? The initial scan with my roms worked fine, new games however doesn‘t show up. I asked google, but coulnd‘t find something. .bin and .cue files are in the correct roms folder.

Thank you for your advice