RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• I've tried running the latest RPI4 build ( RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200130140619-28eddc2.img.gz ) on RPI 4 4gb, flahsed on 64gb sd card using LibreElec's SD-Creator, but I keep getting an error:

Error in mount_flash: mount_common: Could not mount UUID=3001-0807

After that it doesn't boot. I've tried the previous build (from the 28th of Jan) and that does run fine, but doesn't detect any wireless networks :|

Any clue what could I do to fix or what I could have done wrong?

• The latest image under the «test» folder has integrated Firefox 72.0.2 using official binaries, now running natively on LibreELEC / Wayland. The image has crossed over 512MB though so can only be updated to for those who installed LE with my images which have 1024 MB /flash. Works terrific :)

Some other improvements are fine tuned fontconfig setup with beautiful sub pixeled rendered DejaVu truetype for all GUI apps i.e. Firefox, RPCS3 and PCSX2. I’ve also added Thai fonts (ttlwg).

So far, so good !!! Will do more testing over the weekend and report back. Thanks for looking into it.

• No problem, wish I could do the same with PCSX2 but it would require adding 32 bit versions of all the many required libs. I will probably add a script that downloads Firefox instead of including it in the image to get it below 512MB again.

Another small utility I added is virtboard, which has to be run from cli at this point. It’s an On-screen keyboard that should be able to pop ip when input is needed but I haven’t looked much into it yet. It’s too large but works for cases where you dont have a kb available.

• The slang shaders requires either the glcore or vulkan driver. Check that you are using glcore, which should be selected automatically by the retroarch.sh script. With the gl driver only glsl shaders would be visible.

When I review the video settings in retroarch, glcore is selected. If I change to a different driver (e.g. gl) in the UI then I cannot select glcore again.

As far as I know, glcore is the current driver. Is this something that can be confirmed via the log files?

Bard I'll check if wifi is working on my Pi4 when I get back home. I've been using ethernet so I never reviewed wifi before.

• Not sure why that happens, unfortunately I don't have an RPi4 or even the time to troubleshoot at the moment. Could you try updating from the previous working build?

Yep that works, new version boots, but retains the issue of the previous version of detecting no wireless (tested with both 2.4 and 5ghz networks). Blutooth and wired ethernet work fine.

If it helps, I tried for consistency to test using directly the new build using a different Pi4, a different card reader and a different etcher, no change, same error. I also repeated a couple of time with different combinations of the above the route "Install 28 Jan version --> update to 30 Jan version" (by copying it to /storage/.update/ and booted but always had the same issue.

Also, the latest LibreElec 9.2 base version for RPi4 works fine.

Bard I'll check if wifi is working on my Pi4 when I get back home. I've been using ethernet so I never reviewed wifi before.

Thanks mate.

• When I review the video settings in retroarch, glcore is selected. If I change to a different driver (e.g. gl) in the UI then I cannot select glcore again.

As far as I know, glcore is the current driver. Is this something that can be confirmed via the log files?

I found this in the attached logs (this is from retroarch):

So that explains not finding the slang shaders. I suspect that not finding glcore also means degraded performance.

I have no options in RetroELEC settings for Wifi. So it would seem that in RPi4.arm-devel-20200126145032-28eddc2, the RPi4 wifi is not recognized.

Exiting Retroarch results in Retroarch closing and then immediately reopening in both RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200128073910-28eddc2.img and RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200130140619-28eddc2.img.

• Could you try the one I just uploaded? It should fix the glcore issue by adding gles3, I see that it’s correctly enabled in the build. The wireless issue sounds odd though, does it work in Kodi? The lakka features is enabled in all my builds. I will look into the RA restarting issue.

• Ok, I’ve reverted the kernel to 5.4 branch same as LE master, perhaps the 5.5 branch isn’t quite ready yet. Just uploaded, let me know how it goes.

RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200202070310-28eddc2.img

Kodi boots again.

Wifi appears to be corrected.

When quitting retroarch, it still closes and then restarts without going to Kodi.

What I think is the relevant log snippet from "journalctl --no-pager -b -0" below, full log attached.

• I can't see any issue actually, looks like RetroArch exits cleanly after starting. I have uploaded a build that I think will fix it :)

RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200203142405-28eddc2.img

Wifi appears to be working.

glcore appears to be working.

Retroarch exits to kodi as expected.

I tested out a variety of shaders. Many work at full speed. Some make games unplayable dropping as low as 15-20 FPS on SNES games. crt-frutbunn runs about 58 fps in SMW and Yoshi's Island. Playable but very slightly degraded from 60fps.

This is the image that I am going to keep until you have new improvements. :) Prior to this I was still using a 1/26 build.

I'll probably take a look at RPi2/3/3+ soon.

• Cool, good to hear. I'll do a new RPi2 image as well, supposedly it performs better with the new vc4 driver than the old closed driver :) EDIT: RPi2 image uploaded.

New generic image uploaded, with native Firefox downloaded on demand.

• Fixed in the latest image.

Yep. Firefox starts up fine now. I'm still/again seeing those 'GPU HANG in sway' errors when browsing media-rich websites...Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes it takes a while. So, I wonder if it ever worked properly, or if I was just lucky sometimes.