RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• one question, is your fork up to date with main LE?
    Emulationstation stop working in new alpha 10 so I compiled a new version using your fork but it also does not work.
    I am trying to use your build to test/update ESand LE8alpha 10 but it gives me panic error.

• bite_your_idols

Yes my tree is up to date with the latest alpha. "Doesn't work" is not a proper error report. Do you mean that you compiled ES with my tree and tried using it elsewhere? Or did you boot the latest build and get the same kernel panic as the rest (read the last posts)?

I've uploaded a new cleanly built 20161225 for the RPi, please test. No changes other than rebasing my commits on latest alpha10.

• bite_your_idols

Yes my tree is up to date with the latest alpha. "Doesn't work" is not a proper error report. Do you mean that you compiled ES with my tree and tried using it elsewhere? Or did you boot the latest build and get the same kernel panic as the rest (read the last posts)?

I've uploaded a new cleanly built 20161225 for the RPi, please test. No changes other than rebasing my commits on latest alpha10.

Until alpha 9 I included in my gamestarter addon an emulationstation binary from your build from some months ago. In latest alpha 10 it stop working due to this error:

storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/emulationstation: symbol lookup error: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/lib/libfreeimage.so.3: undefined symbol: png_init_filter_functions_neon

So I compiled a new emulationstation using your fork but it still gives me the same error when trying in LE 8 alpha 10...

• The error message seems clear enough, did you copy over the latest libfreeimage.so.3? What does "ldd -r /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/lib/libfreeimage.so.3" tell you?

• Just a heads up I had same kernel panic from your 23 & 24 img.gz files and from building from source. I downloaded the 09 image you linked to on page 48 and that worked. New to these projects all you guys are doing some great work, look forward to using your products. Escalade do you have any documentation on how I should be starting retroarch? Is there a launcher in the front end that I am missing or are you starting it with advanced launcher or ssh? Happy holidays.

• What about the 25 image?

This build uses Emulationstation as a frontend, you select "Emulators" from the Kodi main menu and off you go. Look at /storage/.config/emulator-frontend.conf for an example how to use RetroArch as frontend instead if you prefer that.

Edited once, last by escalade (December 25, 2016 at 6:44 PM).

• The error message seems clear enough, did you copy over the latest libfreeimage.so.3? What does "ldd -r /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/lib/libfreeimage.so.3" tell you?

I tried to compile your fork but it always gives me an error about "readline". During the process it creates the libfreeimage file so I copy/paste it in my installlation with alpha 10 and ES works. I really get lost with all this libs issues...

About compiling, I can make emulationstation package without making whole image but when trying to make retroarch it gives me the same error as when making image.

• With last build YouTube plugin aren't working anymore.

Code
    p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Monaco; color: #f4f4f4; background-color: #000000; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85)}
    span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures}16:20:44.498 T:140036490542400   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.youtube/config/youtube/16:20:44.499 T:140036490542400   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/config/youtube/) failed16:20:44.563 T:140034783045376  NOTICE: [plugin.video.youtube] Running: YouTube (5.3.6) on Krypton (17.0) with Python 2.7.1316:20:46.518 T:140034783045376  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.16:20:46.518 T:140034783045376   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!                                            Error Type: <class 'urllib2.URLError'>                                            Error Contents: <urlopen error EOF occurred in violation of protocol (_ssl.c:661)>                                            Traceback (most recent call last):                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/default.py", line 7, in <module>                                                runner.run(__provider__)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/runner.py", line 32, in run                                                __RUNNER__.run(provider, context)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/impl/xbmc/xbmc_runner.py", line 23, in run                                                results = provider.navigate(context)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/abstract_provider.py", line 93, in navigate                                                result = method(context, re_match)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/register_provider_path.py", line 12, in wrapper                                                return func(*args, **kwargs)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/provider.py", line 392, in _on_yt_specials                                                return yt_specials.process(category, self, context, re_match)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/helper/yt_specials.py", line 256, in process                                                return _process_live_events(provider, context, re_match)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/helper/yt_specials.py", line 95, in _process_live_events                                                json_data = provider.get_client(context).get_live_events(event_type='live', page_token=page_token)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/client/youtube.py", line 426, in get_live_events                                                return self._perform_v3_request(method='GET', path='search', params=params, quota_optimized=True)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/client/youtube.py", line 615, in _perform_v3_request                                                result = requests.get(_url, params=_params, headers=_headers, verify=False, allow_redirects=allow_redirects)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/simple_requests/api.py", line 189, in get                                                return _request('GET', url, **kwargs)                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/simple_requests/api.py", line 165, in _request                                                response = opener.open(request)                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 429, in open                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 447, in _open                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 407, in _call_chain                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1241, in https_open                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1198, in do_open                                            URLError: <urlopen error EOF occurred in violation of protocol (_ssl.c:661)>                                            -->End of Python script error report<--16:20:46.576 T:140036490542400   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.youtube/special/live/16:20:46.576 T:140036490542400   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/special/live/) failed16:20:46.641 T:140034783045376  NOTICE: [plugin.video.youtube] Running: YouTube (5.3.6) on Krypton (17.0) with Python 2.7.1316:21:02.632 T:140033869129472  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 2 times.

Edited once, last by Andi_bz (December 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM).

• jaykass

Then I'm out of ideas. Have gone through my commits and can't find anything that should cause the kernel not to find init, and the initramfs looks good. Same tree works for Generic. Guess it's end of the road for my RPi builds for now.

Andi_bz

And you've confirmed it works in alpha10?

• Andi_bz

I can reproduce here. Have no idea what's causing that either, although it seems to be Python related. I have made no mods to Python though, but it was recently upgraded to 2.7.13 in master.

noxx

In the RetroArch core options (hit F1).

Edited once, last by escalade (December 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM).

• Sure it's possible, but none of my packages are made as addons so there's quite a lot of work to do. What do you mean simpler to update, is it that difficult to put a .tar in the update folder and reboot?

• About the update, I'm just curious for a while. Will your packages (likes Emulator, Chrome, Plex server, Sonarr etc.) always get automatically updated in the new .tar? Or is there some manual procedure to get that updated?

Thanks

• They stay the same version unless I manually update the packages. Exceptions are Chrome, Spotify and Plex. They are just scripts that download the apps on the fly when run. Delete /storage/.cache/app.chrome and you'll get an updated version on next run. This is done because I don't think it's legal to distribute the binaries of these apps.