S812 and others

• Hello,

I was just wondering if there are community builds on the radar for other boards/boxes, for example based on the AMlogic S812 SOC. I use the OE builds of amlinux.ru (from Kerber I suppose) for my M8S. I don't know if Kerber joined LibreElec and if he will have his own community build section?

Thanks.

Edited once, last by roel (May 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM).

• Official Post

There are no immediate plans on our side for lots of other Amlogic builds; it's more dependent on the community wanting to rebase and work with us and allow LibreELEC to be a/the vehicle for better collaboration between the disparate individuals releasing stuff. Some do; hence kszaq is working with us and has a dedicated forum area here. I never personally heard of Kerber before so he's definitely not 'joined' LibreELEC. If he'd like to make himself known we'd always be interested in having a chat :)

• Kerber is a developer for some custom Amlogic builds, his Github account is here: surkovalex (Alexandr) · GitHub He has some good knowledge about Amlogic and also seems to have access to AML source code with Git history. He helped me in the past to make some things work for S805 boxes. I don't know if he's willing to join LE community, though.

As for S812 boxes, if you have some knowledge on compiling OE/LE, you can grab my LE fork, modify options file to reflect your device and grab Kodi patches from WeTek Core project. Then compile and see if it works.

• chewitt,

that's clear, it's nice that LibreElec is open for community builds. Hopefully all those OE builds who are spread everywhere will come togethere here.

kszaq,

I already playing with the idea to check if I could use the wetec core project to make a buid for my M8S. But first I will try to get your build working on the odroid C1. So I can learn without the risk to brick stuff. The second part will be to find out how I can boot from a sd-card on my M8S, so I can test it without bricking it.
    The last build from amlinux.ru for the M8S (6.95.1.1) is booting terrible slow and there is a lot of stuttering.

• Kerber is a developer for some custom Amlogic builds, his Github account is here: surkovalex (Alexandr) · GitHub He has some good knowledge about Amlogic and also seems to have access to AML source code with Git history. He helped me in the past to make some things work for S805 boxes. I don't know if he's willing to join LE community, though.

As for S812 boxes, if you have some knowledge on compiling OE/LE, you can grab my LE fork, modify options file to reflect your device and grab Kodi patches from WeTek Core project. Then compile and see if it works.

kszaq I would like to do the same for S802 boxes what you did for S805 boxes. Could you help me a bit? I will fork your repo and try to rebuild it for S802 devices.

• Thanks kszaq!

I already got the actual master branch from codesnake working on my device (Beelink S82/Orbsmart S82/Tronsmart S89 Vega Elite). What is the difference from your kernel to Codesnake's kernel?

Edited once, last by drieschel (June 2, 2016 at 1:07 PM).

• Wow, seem to be a lot of changes and fixes!

The next step for me is understanding the boot process. Your version differs from Codesnake's version. You are not using mkbootimg if I see it right. Can you explain me a bit how it works?

Edited once, last by drieschel (June 2, 2016 at 2:12 PM).

• I have problems building the kernel. Don't know how to trace the problem back.

The compiler says:

• It's running and it seems to be very fast and stable!

Things that still have to get fixed (correct configured):

- Bluetooth is not working
    - CEC is not working says dmesg (##### cec write error! #####)
    - Poweroff turns the device off and on again
    - Suspend mode performs a reboot after unsuspending

PS: Pushed the code in my fork of kzsaq's LibreElec fork: GitHub - drieschel/LibreELEC.tv: LibreELEC fork for Amlogic S802 devices

kszaq are you interested in a pull request, when it's completely working?

Edited once, last by drieschel (June 3, 2016 at 1:02 AM).

• I can see that you figured out sound and 4k patches.

For power off and suspend how this works depends partly on bootloader. You can try using this patch: LibreELEC.tv/add_meson8b_power_off.patch at libreelec-7.0 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub Remember to change every "meson8b" to "meson8".

As for CEC, does it not work at all? You'll always see some write errors at the beginning as they appear during polling process. Afterwards they should disappear. If CEC does not work at all, make sure that it works in Android, you may have to use a different HDMI cable if it doesn't.

I don't think I can accept your pull request as I don't have resources to build for S802 devices nor means to test the builds. You are very welcome to provide project-wide patches.

• I can see that you figured out sound and 4k patches.

Yes! But there is still a problem: if I play a hardware decoded 4K video and the osd is visible, the picture starts flickering very much. But it only happens if also the tv resolution is set to 4K.

For power off and suspend how this works depends partly on bootloader. You can try using this patch: LibreELEC.tv/add_meson8b_power_off.patch at libreelec-7.0 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub Remember to change every "meson8b" to "meson8".

I will figure that out.

As for CEC, does it not work at all? You'll always see some write errors at the beginning as they appear during polling process. Afterwards they should disappear. If CEC does not work at all, make sure that it works in Android, you may have to use a different HDMI cable if it doesn't.

It can also be that the cec implemenation from my tv is not working correct.

I don't think I can accept your pull request as I don't have resources to build for S802 devices nor means to test the builds. You are very welcome to provide project-wide patches.

I thought it is nice to have everything in one place. Something like a master branch. If I can support platform wide of course I would be happy to do.

For Bluetooth you may try changing tty port to ttyS1 here: [email protected]#L3

I tried but it didn't work. The bluetooth device in my box is not a broadcom device I think (but I am not sure). Don't know how to figure out what hardware it is. Even the guy who wrote this didn't know which bluetooth chip the S89 Vega Elite has. I have a similar device to S89 Vega Elite.

Edited once, last by drieschel (June 3, 2016 at 2:06 PM).