PVR with Raspberry Pi

• Hello

I want to build a PVR using a Raspberry Pi 4/5, two Xbox One TV Tuners and a USB 3.0 HDD to save recordings and I have some doubts.

1. What's the minimum RAM needed to avoid issues?
    2. Will I need a hub to connect the tuners and the HDD?
    3. Will I be able to record from both tuners and watch something from the HDD all at the same time?

Thank you!

• Have a look at this thread

elliottmc
    March 9, 2024 at 10:30 AM

I have been using a RPi4 in this way for years (RPi3 before that!). With RPi5, I had to boost the USB power. I have three tuners, and I am saving recordings either to the microSD card or to a NAS, rather than to a USB3 drive.

I did try a cheap USB hub to get over power issues, and it didn't help. It may be that it simply wasn't working.

For me, I can record/watch multiple recordings at the same time.

• Hi elliottmc , thank you for the information

I'll consider using a bigger microSD card to save recordings, I hadn't thought about this option.

I have more questions for you.

• How much RAM did you have on RPi4?
    • How did you inter-connected Xbox tuners?
  • I'll consider using a bigger microSD card to save recordings, I hadn't thought about this option.

That option have advantage and disadvantage at the same time. I prefere to keep my media file on a separate drive (USB stick in my case). That could be a major advantage when needs to reinstall the whole system (somethings went wrong, major system upgrade). So I recommend to think it twice to keep your media/personal files in the same drive (microSD) as the LE system. Maybe if you have a "not too slow" USB stick, you could try it for TV recordings. If you will go with TVheadend, it's a bit of work to set it in webinterface, but after that it's very stable (at least my experience).

Another thing, I'm using at an RPi3B+ with 3 USB tuners (as TVheadend server, just watching, without recording) for years without any serious issue. I think the streaming from tuner isn't need too much RAM, probably for recording is the same.

How did you inter-connected Xbox tuners?

Did you mean about antenna connection? Use a simple RF antenna splitter, something like this:

• Unless things have changed, if you're in the UK, beware the XBox tuners with DVB-T2. In London I never got reliable reception of the UK PSB3/BBCB DVB-T2 mux from Crystal Palace even though I have a great signal (every other T2 device I have has zero errors)

The Linux driver may have been updated since I last tried - but there were reports from around Europe of issues with T2 stuff with the Linux driver when the tuners first appeared at very low prices (£5?).

Hello

I want to build a PVR using a Raspberry Pi 4/5, two Xbox One TV Tuners and a USB 3.0 HDD to save recordings and I have some doubts.

1. What's the minimum RAM needed to avoid issues?
    2. Will I need a hub to connect the tuners and the HDD?
    3. Will I be able to record from both tuners and watch something from the HDD all at the same time?

Thank you!

I've run a single tuner install with a TV Hat on a Pi Zero with 512MB RAM - so I suspect a Pi 4 or 5 with 2GB will be more than enough.

I'd try running the two tuners on the two USB 2.0 ports of your Pi and see what happens - if you end up with weirdness then try a powered USB 2.0 hub (they key thing is that it's powered) - but you may find that with an official Raspberry Pi PSU you're fine.

Use a powered external 3.5" HDD not a bus-powered 2.5" HDD plugged in to a USB 3.0 port to ensure you don't have issues with power and the hard drive.

Yes - you can record from both tuners (that means you can record as many channels as you like as long at they are on one of the two frequencies being tuned - assuming your tuners can cope with that - most can) and play a recording from HDD at the same time.

DVB-T channels are running at very low bitrates compared to HDD transfer speeds. The highest bitrate HD on DVB-T2 is a lot less than 2MB/s (i.e. 16Mb/s), some SD stuff is a LOT lower.

The total bitrate on the PSB3 T2 UK HD mux is 5MB/s (i.e. 40Mb/s) and SD T Muxes are around 3.5MB/s (i.e. 28Mb/s) or less and that's the total bitrate for all the channels being sent on a given frequency or mux.

Edited 2 times, last by noggin: Merged a post created by noggin into this post. (October 17, 2024 at 8:53 AM).

• Thank you :)

Finally, I think I'll buy a 2GB RAM RPi4 , and I'll try if it can handle the two USB tuners + 2.5" SSD USB 3.0 drive

I live in Spain but we also use DVB-T/T2

VLouis I've never used that kind of RF antenna splitter, I only used others like this one, but usually it has a signal quality loss

TV antenna splitter 2way F/MM 2221M metal | Stephanis