JBOD DAS - only one HDD available

• Hello

i'm running Librelec 21.1 on Pi5, connected via USB to a DAS (Terrmaster D4-320) with 2X Seagate EXOS 18TB, formatted NTFS, JBOD.

Librelec can find only 1 HDD, always the same.

I checked HDD in Windows for errors but everything works properly and both HDDs are immediately recognized on WIN10.

Of course DAS was always safely removed and HDD checked with HD TUNE PRO, 100% working.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

• I didn’t explain myself, only contents of one HDD are available.

There are 2 folders, one on each HDD, “Kodi 1” on hard drive X and “Kodi 2” on hard drive Y, librelec see only “Kodi 1”

• That is what JBOD is. It refers to a collection of disks in a computer system or array combined as one logical volume.

No. That is Spanned volume. JBOD is and always was what it's name says, "Just a Bunch Of Disks". What you do with disks in such configuration is up to you. You can also make soft RAID, mirror, striping, whatever.

• No. That is Spanned volume. JBOD is and always was what it's name says, "Just a Bunch Of Disks". What you do with disks in such configuration is up to you. You can also make soft RAID, mirror, striping, whatever.

According to an old article from 2005 used by wikipedia, yes. Seagate and others (like a newer article from the same source as the older (TechTarget) says:

"JBOD, which stands for just a bunch of disks, is a type of multilevel configuration for disks. It refers to a collection of disks in a computer system or array combined as one logical volume"

• According to Terramaster specs raid is not supported on this hardware,
    They call it also single disk operating mode, any clue on why 2 separate HDDs are available on win and only 1 on librelec?

• The Terramaster box doesn't support hardware RAID so I think you created a "Spanned Volume" over the two drives. This uses the Logical Disk Manager (LDM) capabilities which are not natively supported on Linux, although there is a tool called "ldmtool" which can be used to create device-mapper entries and mount volumes. However, LE does not bundle ldmtool into our images, we do not support package management, and we are intentionally missing all the software RAID and device-mapper bits (so we don't have to support it).

This community image from sky42 has the LVM bits you need LE 12.0 added lvm2, luks (dm-crypt, veracrypt), mdraid, ext4 encryption .. but not ldmtool AFAICT. You can try copying the ldmtool binary direct from an Ubuntu image; if you're lucky it's an independent binary that's not linked against a bunch of libraries. If you're not, it is, and it needs to be compiled properly for LE use. That image also has the bits needed to make a Linux compatible software RAID (JBOD) setup; though that will require you to move data off the disks to create a new JBOD array before copying data back.

Of course, even if you make something work, it's not supported by staff.

• chewitt,

it looks to me, that the D4-320 works like a USB->SATA adapter with SATA port multiplier or something like that. Not as the "usual" JBOD volumes of simple software raid adapters. Maybe Gar90 should look for kernel messages regarding the USB devices first?

lsusb
    lsblk
    dmesg | egrep -i "usb|ata|seagate"

• chewitt,

it looks to me, that the D4-320 works like a USB->SATA adapter with SATA port multiplier or something like that. Not as the "usual" JBOD volumes of simple software raid adapters. Maybe Gar90 should look for kernel messages regarding the USB devices first?

lsusb
    lsblk
    dmesg | egrep -i "usb|ata|seagate"

I’m afraid but i’m a very beginner, how can I check this?

• I already posted the commands to collect some information. The last 3 lines of my previous post contains the commands to use via SSH console.

• lsblb -> list block devices
    • lsusb -> list USB devices
    • dmesg ... -> search for specific entries in the kernel message log

If it sounds like rocket science for you, then we will go beyond the scope of this thread.

Sorry, if I distracted you. I wanted to make sure that both physical drives are recognized correctly. Because this is important regardless of whether you use 2 individual drives or the spanned volume. But if you have created a spanned volume using the Windows functions, as chewitt has assumed, then you need all the things he has already described to get access to the whole volume.

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link