[RPi5] LE 12.0.1 and NTFS HDD Problem

• Hi,

Just checking if this fix was in 12.01 before I start gathering logs etc. It's still not working for me and now the exFAT drive I was using in the meantime doesn't show after upgrading. I get a message when it is removed though. This is the same as I was getting with the NTFS drive.

Cheers

• OK I got a chance to do a little testing. I've attached both the original NTFS Toshiba USB disk and the SSD formatted as exFAT that I've been using since the original bug described in link in the post above. Neither show in the GUI but are definitely there as they show in parted. If I unplug the SSD a message shows saying "Successfully removed storage exFAT"

LE-RPi5:~ # uname -a
    Linux LE-RPi5 6.6.28 #1 SMP Thu Apr 25 11:30:41 UTC 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux
    LE-RPi5:~ # parted
    GNU Parted 3.6
    Using /dev/sda
    Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
    (parted)
    (parted) print
    print
    Model: TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 1000GB 1000GB primary ntfs boot

(parted) select /dev/sdb
    select /dev/sdb
    Using /dev/sdb
    (parted) print
    print
    Model: SanDisk SD8SN8U-256G (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 256GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 256GB 256GB primary

Can someone please confirm that the fix for the bug reported here [RPi5] LE 12.0.0 and NTFS HDD Problem was actually in 12.01?

Cheers

David

Debug logs here: https://paste.libreelec.tv/pleasing-lab.log

Edited once, last by DavidCNZ: Merged a post created by DavidCNZ into this post. (August 31, 2024 at 6:23 AM).

• This is odd, the module should be there:

Code
    Aug 31 17:20:40.316814 LE-RPi5 udevil[1038]: mount: /var/media/TOSHIBA EXT: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs3'.

First check with lsmod|grep ntfs. If not loaded try modprobe ntfs3 and check again. If loaded try reconnecting the drive.

sdb is not visible at all.

PS: dmesg is not required, the journal include the kernel messages.

• Thank you for looking into this:

LE-RPi5:~ # LE-RPi5:~ #lsmod|grep ntfs
    -sh: LE-RPi5:~: not found
    LE-RPi5:~ # modprobe ntfs3
    modprobe: FATAL: Module ntfs3 not found in directory /lib/modules/6.6.28
    LE-RPi5:~ #

Sorry I hadn't reconnected sdb for the logs. Should I run them again with it connected?

Something else has happed since the upgrade that might be related. After the 60 second countdown it seems to be fine.

• Something is utterly wrong with your installation, first of all it should report kernel 6.6.45 on RPi and 6.6.46 on Generic - not kernel 6.6.28 (that was used on LE 12.0.0).

Try re-installing LE12.0.1 again. Just put the img.gz into the update share or /storage/.update folder and reboot.

so long,

Hias

• hmm, you seem to have both an NVME drive and a SD card inserted. Please run "blkid" and verify that you don't have identical filesystem UUIDs on those (that will happen if you do a raw copy of SD card to NVME and will create a mess).

Or just remove the SD card if you boot from NVME

so long,

Hias