[LE 12.0.0] Boblight and RPi3

• I have an RPI3B running LE12. Reading through a few other threads it looks like boblight will not work under LE12 and Kodi Omega specifically because of the video decoding. Disabling DRM Prime supposedly gets boblight to work, but at the cost of some video playback performance especially when playing back from a PVR or TV tuner (I need DRM Prime on and at least the hardware deinterlace enabled to properly play a TV channel stream or recording from TVHeadend/HDHomerun). Boblight worked under LE9 but I suspect that’s because it uses the legacy video player/decoding (OMX/MMAL) no longer used.

So are my options either to buy an external HDMI video capture hardware device to run boblight, revert back to an LE9 install with OMX/MMAL, or buy a device other than an RPi with built-in hardware decoding to run LE?

• So are my options either to buy an external HDMI video capture hardware device to run boblight, revert back to an LE9 install with OMX/MMAL, or buy a device other than an RPi with built-in hardware decoding to run LE?

LE uses GBM/V4L2 rendering on all hardware these days and there's no support for that method in any of the ambilight/boblight type applications (and no signs of that changing). Sticking with LE9.2, or using a hardware grabber, are the only options.

• In other words, it only works on LE Generic-Legacy now:

ruud
    May 3, 2024 at 5:25 PM