Raspberry Pi 5 M.2 Help!!!

• Hey all,

I purchased a Raspberry Pi manufacturer issued M.2 hat and a 2 TB PNY SSD (confirmed to work with Pi 5).

I flashed the SSD with Libreelec. The Pi boots up just fine and Libreelec is loading just fine. As I try to load ONE movie (500 mb or so) over Sambra I get an error message saying my Libreelec does not have enough storage for the file. This is an impossibility. Has anyone else had such problems and how can this be resolved?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

• Maybe you have to resize the storage partition. You can use GParted on your PC, with the LE SSD attached.

It had the OS in one partition, and a 2nd partition was unallocated. This seems to have been the problem. Gonna try to allocate the remaining storage and see what happens. I tried with exFAT the first time and Libreelec wouldn't open as it detected an error on the storage device. I guess I can set it up as NTFS, although that is windows only and this is technically a Linus kernel. Unfortunately, the only 2 options I have are exFAT and NTFS.

• UPDATE: I'm about ready to quit this project.

I have checked multiple times. There is over 1.9 TB of primary partition available. Libreelec resized the partition on its own after I re-wrote the SSD with the OS for the 7th or 8th time. I do not know what to do any more. I need some serious help because there is no way I'm not understanding this.

• Sorry to hear that. It could be an NTFS bug. Try a nightly build:

popphoto
    July 3, 2024 at 6:54 PM
  • After about the 12th re-write, I am now having issues with Gparted. I keep trying to allocate the 1.8 TB of unallocated to the dev2 storage partition, only to get error messages every time.

How would I go about doing a nightly build and could it possible be a defect with the SSD?

• I appreciate all of the help here. I was able to create a new partition and allocate the remaining 1.8 TB to it. However, everything continues to try and store on the partition that was created upon the first "power on" of Libreelec.

To your knowledge, is there a way for me to save files to that newly created partition? It seems like there is no way to customize this, however I am not certain and clearly a novice as you can see.

Again, thanks for any and all help.

• This is a script I started writing to help people image nvme drives: https://paste.libreelec.tv/together-egret.sh

The basic workflow is to download an LE image to /storage and then run "nvmetool w <filename>" where <filename> is the path to the image that you want to write to the nvme drive. It will image the drive, then expand the second partition to 100%, then rename the nvme partitions/filesystems so that you don't get a disk label/uuid clash with the probably-identical structures on an SD card.

It should work, but it's not heavily tested. The main step that it omits is setting the RPi5 eeprom to boot from nvme. Worst case you can at least crib all the commands needed to get a working setup.

• This is a script I started writing to help people image nvme drives: https://paste.libreelec.tv/together-egret.sh

The basic workflow is to download an LE image to /storage and then run "nvmetool w <filename>" where <filename> is the path to the image that you want to write to the nvme drive. It will image the drive, then expand the second partition to 100%, then rename the nvme partitions/filesystems so that you don't get a disk label/uuid clash with the probably-identical structures on an SD card.

It should work, but it's not heavily tested. The main step that it omits is setting the RPi5 eeprom to boot from nvme. Worst case you can at least crib all the commands needed to get a working setup.

Thank you! Should be as easy as copying this into SSH, correct?

Here is what in working with.

I am NOVICE when it comes to Linux. I've build a Linux laptop to learn on and that is about it. I keep getting error messages as I do not believe I am correctly entering the information you provided.

Any additional help and guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

• A few thoughts:

a) Check if the SSD is using a logical sector size of 512 bytes, 4096 are not supported. Use parted -l to test.

b) The resize operation will create a /flash/fs-resize.log

c) There are resize issues fixed in LE12 nightlys.

• Don't ask me why, but I came home from work, turned the system on, and bam. Looks like I have the space now. I literally have no idea how.

It only connected to my 5G on the wifi now but it's working. Samba running. You guys have been a great aid! Let's hope for all of your sakes the next time you hear from me, it'll be to buy you a beer.