[RPi4] Problems after upgrade from 11 to 12

• Dear All,

I have read as much as possible, but I cannot solve my problems. I have recently upgraded my two raspberry PIs 4 from Libreelec 11 to 12. I have the same problem with both:

1) the resolution is set to 1024x768 and I cannot select 1920x1080, which is supported by both TVs (one is a very old samsung, the second one a much newer google tv from Sony, which is a 2k panel). I am sure it is not an hardware problem, like other people had, because it was working before. On the old tv I could even see Kodi as a choice of source to watch, now I have to select the correct HDMI input. I have also upgraded to the latest firmware of the board, but it did not change anything.

2) then, both don't let me switch off the tv. I switch it off, and it switches itself on again. I tried a few solutions I found online, but nothing seems to work.

I am not sure what else I can provide here, but, if anybody who can help needs more information, please ask.

Regards

Aldo

• I am not sure what else I can provide here, but, if anybody who can help needs more information, please ask.

Did you do an in-place upgrade or a clean install? I've always had the best results with the latter. It's more work but for me trying an in-place upgrade ultimately became more of a hassle somehow. Get a separate SD card, do a clean install, add your favorite add-ons and port your media an database.

If you want to migrate your database to another installation of LibreElec with the same major version number, the following procedure will keep your whole library and sources intact:

1. Log in via ssh
    2. Copy .kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/*
    3. Copy .kodi//userdataDatabase/MyVideosxx.db(where xx is the highest number if there's more than one version)
    4. Copy .kodi/userdata/Dagabase/Texturesxx.db (xx is the highest number, as above)
    5. .kodi/userdata/sources.xml
    6. Install the new LibreElec
    7. Run "systemctl stop kodi"
    8. Restore the above files to their original locations
    9. Run "systemctl start kodi".

This has worked for me!

• Code
    video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720M@60

Older "HD Ready" TVs often support 1080i resolutions not 1080p so you might need to force 720p output by adding that ^ to the boot params in cmdline.txt (on the same line). Also try different cables on different TV ports.

• frankvw I did both. As I was not interested in exporting the DB, once the upgrade failed I tried a new install, but I had the same result. I have two RS4 and both have exactly the same issue.

chewitt Thanks! I will try that. But... I am using it on a new tv too (4k) and I have exactly the same problem. I can try replacing the cable, but before the upgrade/install it was working fine. In my old tv I could also see Kodi among the media sources, which I cannot see anymore.

• Now that you mention it, I've had a weird HDMI cable issue with my new RPi4 as well. I've got a short micro HDMI to HDM cable (75cm or so) which works fine. I've also got a regular one metre HDMI to HDMI cable, and a HDMI coupler (2 HDMI sockets). When I use the HDMI cable and the coupler to extend the short micro HDMI to HDMI cable, I have no picture on my HDMI computer monitor or on my TV. Using the same thing to extend the regular HDMI cable on my old RP3 works fine

So it looks like some cables don't play nice with the RPi4 micro HDMI ports. Not sure what the issue is but it's definitely there. However it's not related to LE; when I power up the RPi4 I don't even see the "rainbow" screen so it's a hardware issue between my RPi4, cables and displays.

• frankvw Make sure your HDMI cables are conform to HDMI 2.0 / 2.1 (4K ready). Those cables have better shielding.

Would insufficient shielding make a cable work perfectly on the RP3 but give me no signal at all (TV and monitor just switch off) on the RPi4? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not possible but I fail to understand how that would work.

• Would insufficient shielding make a cable work perfectly on the RP3 but give me no signal at all (TV and monitor just switch off) on the RPi4? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not possible but I fail to understand how that would work.

I've seen that issue often when people switch from RPi3 to RPi4. It's related to HDMI negotiation between RPi and TV.

• Hi Everybody, a while later, I still have not found a solution.

Before the upgrade, my Librelec was showing up as Kodi when selecting the sources on the tv. Now only as HDMI, but then with the lower resolution. I tried everything that was suggested, still the best I can to is 1024x768. I really don't understand. I wonder if I should simply install again LE11, which was working fine.

No more ideas.

Regards

Aldo

• Hi Everybody, thank you so much for the efforts. I feel like I wasted your time. I downgraded and the result was even worse, no video at all. Then I replaced the cable and it works.... still, I cannot understand. Was it an incredibly bad luck that when I upgraded, without touching anything, the cable was damaged? Difficult to believe. But still... with the now cable it works.

Thanks again

Aldo