Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• dojrude I use zip files for all my systems (nes, snes, gb, gbc, sms, md...) and all work just fine. Searching the web with your logs last line I think maybe you are having any performance issue related with not enough memory, power supply or whatever.

I remember another user had same issue a long time ago but I can not remember if he/she solved it...

• dojrude I use zip files for all my systems (nes, snes, gb, gbc, sms, md...) and all work just fine. Searching the web with your logs last line I think maybe you are having any performance issue related with not enough memory, power supply or whatever.

I remember another user had same issue a long time ago but I can not remember if he/she solved it...

Are you referring to this about the power?

Code
    [INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.

I've changed to a proper Rpi3 power supply now and am still seeing that error in the logs.

I've torn everything down and deleted all configs and reinstalled from scratch, configuring exactly the same as the OSX install that works without issue. I've unzipped the ROM's just in case (as Megadrive and SNES were still refusing to start), but now Megadrive works and SNES doesn't.

Below is the working Megadrive config debug log;

• And this is the failing SNES config debug log;

Are you able to tell why one works and one doesn't?

With regards to power, I don't see anything to indicate an issue on the screen. With previous Pi's and power supplies I used to see coloured squares and lightning bolts in the corner to indicate a problem. I don't see any of those with this build.

Sorry for using 2 posts, but I was over the 30,000 character limit with 1 post.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

• Hmm, ok, looks like it might be a core selection issue.

While the SNES9x core appears to work fine on the OSX install of Retroarch, the SNES9x2010 core appears to be required for the RPi version of Retroarch.

With SNES9x2010 the SNES ROMs all run fine (unzipped as tested).

Is there a difference between the Retroarch versions? Both a 1.6.7?

• Installed Emulationstation to get a nicer looking frontend and everything seems to be working, except even though I start a game from emulation station, when I press the hotkeys to exit, it dumps me back in Retroarch and I have to exit the ROM from there and then exit Retroarch to get back to emulation station. Is this how it's supposed to work?

In Retropie the hotkeys take you straight back to emulation station and Retroarch is hidden away in the config pages.

Thanks.

• ok, so if I unzip the rom and run it from the load-content menu it works.

Retroarch on OSX runs from .zip files and the logs above indicate it can see the .md file inside the zipped rom file when I try to start it, so what's stopping it from running? Is it anything to do with paths and the location the rom is extracted to not being writable? Is there a config setting for .zip files that I need to enable in the RPi version of Retroarch?

Is anyone else able to use .zip files?

Thanks.

Not sure why...I only use zip files for arcade games (neogeo,mame,capcom etc)and they work...other roms (nes.snes,megadrive,psx) don't work from zip on my rpi2

• Installed Emulationstation to get a nicer looking frontend and everything seems to be working, except even though I start a game from emulation station, when I press the hotkeys to exit, it dumps me back in Retroarch and I have to exit the ROM from there and then exit Retroarch to get back to emulation station. Is this how it's supposed to work?

In Retropie the hotkeys take you straight back to emulation station and Retroarch is hidden away in the config pages.

Thanks.

That,s how it works for me too...launch game from ES..to stop game start+select+quit retroarch from retroarch menu

ES uses retroarch to launch games..

• in retroarch you can assign a hotkey (e.g. SELECT) and then assing hotkeys bindings (e.g. START to QUIT) so you can exit retroarch just pressing a button combo (e.g. SELECT+START). If you have launched a rom from AEL you will return to AEL launcher list, if you launched a rom from within retroarch you will return to kodi and if you have launched a rom with ES you will return to ES.

I recommend you to take a read to retroarch getting started documentation, tutorials and wiki.

• I set this up yesterday and after some hiccups getting controllers and sound working, it's working great. EmulationStation works great, but I can't get AEL set up. All the examples of launchers I can find are wildly different from the structure on Pi Libreelec. I thought I had it figured out, but when I try to launch it, the screen just goes black and stays that way.

I'm obviously doing something wrong with the command or arguments lines. This is the only thing actually useful in the very tiny log

Code
    Launching using AEL (-f -v /storage/emulators/roms/nes/Mario Bros.nes)

I have "Application" set to `/storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/addon.start`, and "Modify Arguments" set to `fceumm "$rom$"`

Edited once, last by Dalton63841: More info (October 28, 2017 at 9:23 PM).

• For Pi Libreelec use `/storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/addon.sh`

Arguments for Nes roms "fceumm "%rom%" $categoryID$ $launcherID$ $romID$"

You should download this file AEL Assets and use as a template or go to AEL settings → I/O → Import category/launcher configuration... and select the systems you want to import one by one

If I was you I ll have a good look here before setting up AEL...scroll down to AdditionalInfo-Advanced Emulator Launcher...All the info you need is there...

For I set this up yesterday and after some hiccups getting controllers and sound working, it's working great. EmulationStation works great, but I can't get AEL set up. All the examples of launchers I can find are wildly different from the structure on Pi Libreelec. I thought I had it figured out, but when I try to launch it, the screen just goes black and stays that way.

I'm obviously doing something wrong with the command or arguments lines. This is the only thing actually useful in the very tiny log

Code
    Launching using AEL (-f -v /storage/emulators/roms/nes/Mario Bros.nes)

I have "Application" set to `/storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/addon.start`, and "Modify Arguments" set to `fceumm "$rom$"`

• For Pi Libreelec use `/storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/addon.sh`

Arguments for Nes roms "fceumm "%rom%" $categoryID$ $launcherID$ $romID$"

You should download this file AEL Assets and use as a template or go to AEL settings → I/O → Import category/launcher configuration... and select the systems you want to import one by one

If I was you I ll have a good look here before setting up AEL...scroll down to AdditionalInfo-Advanced Emulator Launcher...All the info you need is there...

I saw all that other stuff. I was just suffering a bit of info overload. Literally 5 minutes after I made that post I figured it out and got it fixed. All working perfectly now.

One more question, although this may be more RetroArch specific... Is there a way to do core specific controller remapping? Note that I don't have a keyboard for retroarch. I'm working strictly from terminal.

• I saw all that other stuff. I was just suffering a bit of info overload. Literally 5 minutes after I made that post I figured it out and got it fixed. All working perfectly now.

One more question, although this may be more RetroArch specific... Is there a way to do core specific controller remapping? Note that I don't have a keyboard for retroarch. I'm working strictly from terminal.

Yes you can...all settings you need are in retroarch...general remapping,core remapping or rom specific remapping..To be honest I m using a snes controller and never had the need to change anything yet...can play most games besides a couple psx...I just done few hot keys that I use frequently like quit RA and reset game..

If you r using both ES and AEL and want to save space you can use same artwork for both..just edit games.xml

• Yes you can...all settings you need are in retroarch...general remapping,core remapping or rom specific remapping..To be honest I m using a snes controller and never had the need to change anything yet...can play most games besides a couple psx...I just done few hot keys that I use frequently like quit RA and reset game..

If you r using both ES and AEL and want to save space you can use same artwork for both..just edit games.xml

I'm uninstalling ES now that I have AEL playing nice. I'll have to grab a keyboard to deal with RetroArch directly. I'm having no luck figuring out what file to edit or create in terminal. The default configuration is perfect almost across the board, except on NES. Instead of Triangle and "O" I prefer to use Square and "X". It's much more comfortable.

• I'm uninstalling ES now that I have AEL playing nice. I'll have to grab a keyboard to deal with RetroArch directly. I'm having no luck figuring out what file to edit or create in terminal. The default configuration is perfect almost across the board, except on NES. Instead of Triangle and "O" I prefer to use Square and "X". It's much more comfortable.

Can't you do it from RA gui directly with controller?

• Can't you do it from RA gui directly with controller?

Crap... It just occurred to me that the last time I launched retroarch directly, was BEFORE I got the controller working. However, when I go to Load Core, there are none listed. I think I'm going to need to reinstall it anyway. I saved one config and now it is jerky and locking up.

EDIT: And now, I can't get it to recognize my controller at all. Well, Retroarch does say it is configured at launch, but the controller doesn't respond. I can't remember what I did yesterday to make it recognize it. I copied a file somewhere. It's a Sony PS4 controller, using it wired.

Edited 2 times, last by Dalton63841 (October 29, 2017 at 5:23 AM).

• You can remap gamepads for each core, it is easy, when in a game enter retroarch and you should see RA's quick menu (if you are in RA main menu go to history, select you current rom and select quick menu). In this menu you can remap buttons for this core or even for an specific game. Also you can adjust other "per core" settings from here.

@Dalton63841 if you lost all your cores make sure you unchecked "Use RetroPlayer installed cores only (Clean cores directory)" in addon settings, this will delete all your cores in every launch in order to use only the ones downloaded using RetroPlayer (upcoming LE9).

Also, if you lost your cores and your DS4 is not working, maybe the problem is that you lost your retroarch.cfg file where both autoconfig & cores folders path is defined.

Make sure after RA installation that you first run it directly before using other frontends, because in RA firts launch some config files and folders are copied to the correct location.

You can take a look to /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch and you should see something like this:

Gamestarter/repository.gamestarter/game.retroarch/retroarch at master · bite-your-idols/Gamestarter · GitHub

• Thanks. Just to eliminate any weirdness, I made a fresh install of Libreelec 8.0.2, then installed your repo, and installed just RetroArch. When I launch it, it recognizes is as a Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller. However, the controller just doesn't do anything. If I kill Kodi and launch it manually, I can see that it is loading Sony-Playstation4-DualShock4-Controller.cfg, which seems right.

I would just remap, but I don't have any way to actually DO anything in RetroArch. It's just so strange, yesterday was the same, but I did something with that cfg file and it started working. Just wish I could remember what I did.

Edited once, last by Dalton63841 (October 29, 2017 at 8:02 AM).