Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• LibreELEC version?

Auto Launcher = Advanced Emulator Launcher?

did you try to launch Gamestarter addon?

can you provide any log?

Thanks for a response. Yes, LibreELEC 8.0.2 and Kodi 17.3. You are correct, I looked at it wrong, it is Advanced Launcher. I installed the Gamestarter addon and ran it. It did the startup stuff without errors. When I open Advanced Launcher, it brings up a list of emulators, I went to NES and right click and added the ROMS. Reboot. Tried to run that game through NES and it just reboots Kodi. Then I went onto the NES option and right click and Create New Launcher but I am not able to see where the emulator is to point the launcher at it.

I'm not sure how to get the logs.

Thanks!

• ok, let's see.

Did you select the correct addon version for your OS version? You should use Gamestarter v2.9-LE8 zip

If you do so, you will not get Advanced Launcher but Advanced Emulator Launcher. After Gamestarter firts run installation you should activate this addon manually (I suppouse you already did that since you can enter game lists).

If you run a game and kodi reboots we need take a look to log files.

To check if the problem is relaed with AEL or with RetroArch itself you can launch addon to enter retroarch, then select your rom and core and see what happens.

• I uninstalled everything, downloaded the v2.9-LE8.zip and transferred it over to the Pi. Then I installed it through the "install from zip". Then I opened Gamestarter and it did the first time config thing. Then I rebooted. Then I enabled AEL and added a NES game. When I went to launch the NES game, the tooltip comes up and says "Launching Little Nemo" then waits a second, then reboots Kodi. Whenever I try to launch into RetroArch or into EmulationStation, they both just reboot Kodi as well. How do I find the logs?

Thanks again for your help!

• Ok, so I tried to look through the logs and figure it out, but I'm not sure what I am looking at. I turned on debug logging and component specific logging. Then I went and tried a game, it rebooted, then i checked the log file on my PC is the other room. Not sure what I am looking at but I will post it here.

I hope that is enough info! If not, or you need something different, just let me know. Thanks again!!!

**Edit** I had to take some of the logs out since it was too large, but I have them if you need them. I think thats the end of the logs where it rebooted. Let me know if that is enough to solve it or if I need to do something else. Thanks.

Edited once, last by PartTimeNinja: delete the incorrect logs. (July 18, 2017 at 6:22 PM).

• Needed logs are gamestarter.log, gamestarter_retroarch.log and gamestarter_emulationstation.log

That doesn't look like much info. Is there a setting that I need to turn on to get more info logged?

• 1- Just LE 8.0.2 and Gamestarter v2.9 for LE8

2- There is no Retroarch in LE9, it ships with Retroplayer embedded, a player based on libreto, so it uses cores as Retroarch does but it is integrated in kodi's frontend. I have created both Retroarch and Emulationstation addons for Retroplayer that work with retroplayers installed cores.

Milhouse build's are testbuilds for developers and beta testers, so you expect issues and bugs. I personally switched to L9alpha because of Netflix addon that is working quite well in current builds. But if you don't want any headache or struggling with issues/bugs I recommend you to stay in LE8 until LE9 become more stable (beta versions).

Well, had downloaded and upgraded Milhouse build! Got surprised by the speed improvement for Kodi at RPi version!

On the emulation side, still need to focus on DS4 (ver1) configuration. System pair quite well 2 of my controllers natively with bluetooth and they work quite well on Kodi frontend, good latency, good selection of menus, etc... At emulationstation menu controls operate quite well, recognized and configured without any problems but for retroarch is a real mess! Controls are recognized but apparently not with properly autoconf, so I just cant navigate through menus decently. Already verified with bluetoothctl on console and controls looks normal.

I know that an Alpha kernel could cause some problems here and there, but seems to me much more an retroarch autoconf issue.

Thanks in advance and cheers for your good work!

• That doesn't look like much info. Is there a setting that I need to turn on to get more info logged?

we can see a couple of things.

First, you haven't installed EmulationStation so it will not run, you must install it from addon settings ifyou want to use it.

Second, we can see the problem is with fceumm core.

According to the logs, you should be able to launch retroarch using gamestarter, then select core and try to run your rom (when in retroarch you can activate debugging opitions to get more details of the process).

If this doesn't work you can try 2 options:

- from retroarch, go to online updater> download core and download fceumm again or another nes core.

- from addon settings select update/download libretro cores, this will download complete lakka cores.

Well, had downloaded and upgraded Milhouse build! Got surprised by the speed improvement for Kodi at RPi version!

On the emulation side, still need to focus on DS4 (ver1) configuration. System pair quite well 2 of my controllers natively with bluetooth and they work quite well on Kodi frontend, good latency, good selection of menus, etc... At emulationstation menu controls operate quite well, recognized and configured without any problems but for retroarch is a real mess! Controls are recognized but apparently not with properly autoconf, so I just cant navigate through menus decently. Already verified with bluetoothctl on console and controls looks normal.

I know that an Alpha kernel could cause some problems here and there, but seems to me much more an retroarch autoconf issue.

Thanks in advance and cheers for your good work!

I am having also some issues with controllers in latest alpha builds, it seems to detect my controller as second one and it is impossible to me to control retroarch and games... I revert back to build from 0710 and it worked again... I think it is something related with retroplayer included back to testbuilds in latest builds...

• Alright, so I tried to open Retroarch through Gamestarter and it asks if i want to exit kodi to start retroarch. I say yes, so then it goes black, then it reboots Kodi, but never brings up Retroarch. I installed EmulationStation and tried to run it through Gamestarter and it did the same thing. Just reboots Kodi.

I was not able to open retroarch to get to the online updater.

I downloaded the update/download libretro cores from the addon settings and same thing, reboot Kodi.

The gamestarter.log shows:

Running as unit: run-r3a3cfa1150de467ba11aa43f19064bdd.service
    ::Gamestarter:: -> launching on Tue Jul 18 17:30:50 CDT 2017
    ::Gamestarter:: -> stop kodi...
    ::Gamestarter:: -> launch retroarch
    ::Gamestarter:: -> restart kodi...

The gamestarter_emulationstation.log AND the gamestarter_retroarch.log both show the same thing:

Illegal instruction (core dumped)

• it seems something is wrong with your LE installation or you are using wrong addon version, it is weird...

you have to switch to ssh methods in order to try to discover what is wrong.

First a couple of basic commands:

Code
    cat /etc/release

ldd "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch"

Then try to launch retroarch manually with these ones:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch -c /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.gamestarter/retroarch/retroarch.cfg --menu

Also, if you have another sd (or if you make a backup of yours) you can try with a fresh LE8 install.

• Code
    cat /etc/release - RPi.arm-8.0.2

# ldd "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch"

/usr/lib/libarmmem.so (0x76f8b000)        librt.so.1 => /usr/lib/librt.so.1 (0x76f74000)        libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x76ef6000)        libass.so.5 => /usr/lib/libass.so.5 (0x76ebb000)        libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (0x76e18000)        libpulse.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0 (0x76dc0000)        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x76d43000)        libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x76d1a000)        libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x76cd1000)        libudev.so.1 => /usr/lib/libudev.so.1 (0x76cb5000)        libusb-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libusb-1.0.so.0 (0x76c99000)        libbrcmEGL.so => /usr/lib/libbrcmEGL.so (0x76c60000)        libbrcmGLESv2.so => /usr/lib/libbrcmGLESv2.so (0x76c3b000)        libbcm_host.so => /usr/lib/libbcm_host.so (0x76c14000)        libvcos.so => /usr/lib/libvcos.so (0x76bfa000)        libvchiq_arm.so => /usr/lib/libvchiq_arm.so (0x76be4000)        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x76bd1000)        libavcodec.so.57 => /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.57 (0x75c57000)        libavformat.so.57 => /usr/lib/libavformat.so.57 (0x75ad1000)        libavutil.so.55 => /usr/lib/libavutil.so.55 (0x75a4f000)        libswscale.so.4 => /usr/lib/libswscale.so.4 (0x759df000)        libswresample.so.2 => /usr/lib/libswresample.so.2 (0x759be000)        libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 (0x759ab000)        libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x7597f000)        libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x75847000)        /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 (0x76fa0000)        libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x75805000)        libpulsecommon-9.0.so => /usr/lib/pulseaudio/libpulsecommon-9.0.so (0x7572d000)        libsystemd.so.0 => /usr/lib/libsystemd.so.0 (0x756bb000)        libresolv.so.2 => /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x75697000)        libbz2.so.1.0 => /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x7567b000)        libspeex.so.1 => /usr/lib/libspeex.so.1 (0x7566a000)        libvcsm.so => /usr/lib/libvcsm.so (0x75656000)        libssl.so.39 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.39 (0x75613000)        libcrypto.so.38 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.38 (0x754c1000)        libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 (0x754a5000)

freeCable:~ # systemctl stop kodi
    freeCable:~ # /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch -c /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.gamestarter/retroarch/retroarch.cfg--menu
    Illegal instruction (core dumped)
    freeCable:~ #
  • I am having also some issues with controllers in latest alpha builds, it seems to detect my controller as second one and it is impossible to me to control retroarch and games... I revert back to build from 0710 and it worked again... I think it is something related with retroplayer included back to testbuilds in latest builds...

In fact, my controllers are quite well recognized, even at bluetoothctl they look like [Wireless Controller] but retroarch do not recognize them as Sony Dualshock4 bluez. Could that be the problem..?

Cheers.

• In fact, my controllers are quite well recognized, even at bluetoothctl they look like [Wireless Controller] but retroarch do not recognize them as Sony Dualshock4 bluez. Could that be the problem..?

Cheers.

Did you try to go back to an older build to check if it can be something changed lately?

• Did you try to go back to an older build to check if it can be something changed lately?

GotIt... Reinstalled everything from a LE8(Official) Vanilla and Retroarch contols working as they should!

Manually adding ROMs works quite well, but IARL still confusing to me as I can not figure out quite well how to download roms or Launching them from this frontend... Do the "Context menu settings for external launcher" but still get an "External launch command not defined." Error at kodi.

Thanks in advance bite_your_idols

Edited once, last by xel_arjona: External launch command not defined Error window added. (July 19, 2017 at 7:10 PM).

• GotIt... Reinstalled everything from a LE8(Official) Vanilla and Retroarch contols working as they should!

Manually adding ROMs works quite well, but IARL still confusing to me as I can not figure out quite well how to download roms or Launching them from this frontend... Do the "Context menu settings for external launcher" but still get an "External launch command not defined." Error at kodi.

Thanks in advance bite_your_idols

Take a look over here: IARL Configuration · Issue #31 · bite-your-idols/Gamestarter · GitHub