Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• Code
    LibreELEC:/ # aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Set [C-Media USB Headphone Set], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

As noted, my speakers are connected to the stereo jack of above listed USB audio. The sound issue is reproducable whether RetroArch is started through Gamestarter or IARL. The sound in Kodi works without issues (and has been working through all the trial and error I've done).

Code
    LibreELEC:/ # cat /proc/asound/modules 
    0 snd_usb_audio

Since there is really no other audio module listed any more, I'm not sure what else to try. retroarch.cfg gives me

Code
    audio_device = "sysdefault:CARD=Set"

as selected through RetroArch. But I've tried all kinds of alternatives through the frontend and direct cfg editing, too.

I especially tried everything here: No sound on RPi3 with LibreELEC · Issue #39 · bite-your-idols/Gamestarter-Pi · GitHub

Thanks and cheers,

rien

• Not sure if this is applicable here. SNES / NES emulation is working great! But when I try using the "Arcade (MAME)" core, I get this error. Where can I download the MAME core for ARMv7?

Code
    RetroArch [INFO] :: Loading dynamic libretro core from: "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores/mame_libretro.so"
    RetroArch [ERROR] :: Failed to open libretro core: "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores/mame_libretro.so"
    RetroArch [ERROR] :: Error(s): /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores/mame_libretro.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
  • Excuse the noob question, i have just installed this and played around with the settings a bit, but I cant find a general help file for Retroarch.

Where can i find answers to questions like "What is a core module" ?

I played mario kart (SNES) just fine without worrying about the core so is it necessary? what does it do?

• Not sure if this is applicable here. SNES / NES emulation is working great! But when I try using the "Arcade (MAME)" core, I get this error. Where can I download the MAME core for ARMv7?

Code
    RetroArch [INFO] :: Loading dynamic libretro core from: "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores/mame_libretro.so"
    RetroArch [ERROR] :: Failed to open libretro core: "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores/mame_libretro.so"
    RetroArch [ERROR] :: Error(s): /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores/mame_libretro.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

mame_libretro.so is not a valid name of any core... as you can see here you can use mame2000_libretro.so or mame2003_libretro.so (the best one) for mame, and also fbalpha_libretro.so ... I don't know where are you trying to launch mame from...

Hi everyone, I've continued to go through all kinds of tips - to no avail. If anyone has any idea why I cannot get sound to work in retroarch or have a suggestion to where people are who could help me, I'd be greatful.

Thanks and regards,

rien

did you try adding to config file this lines?:

Code
    hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
    dtparam=audio=on

Excuse the noob question, i have just installed this and played around with the settings a bit, but I cant find a general help file for Retroarch.

Where can i find answers to questions like "What is a core module" ?

I played mario kart (SNES) just fine without worrying about the core so is it necessary? what does it do?

If it works ok for you don't worry about settings, just enjoy it.

If you want retroarch info you can visit its official website.

• v2.9 pre-release updated:

Releases · bite-your-idols/Gamestarter-Pi · GitHub

- a lot of cores removed from default installation, just most popular ones included (Slimer addon zip).

- cores update/download option from LIbretro's buildbot using retroarch

- whole Lakka's core pack update/download option from addon settings

- Included AEL & IARL updated

- a new addon version for LibreELEC 9 testbuilds uploaded.

By the way, can anyone test GENERIC x86_64 version?

enjoy!

• First off, thank you for all your hardwork.

I downloaded your LE8.zip (v2.9). I noticed that mame and fba were not working in Emulationstation. I had to edit the es_systems.cfg file as both fba and mame were pointing to the same rom folder. Changing FBA to the roms/fba folder fixed it....Just an FYI

On a side note...where are the libreto cores downloaded to please when we use the online updater in Retroarch? I would like to manually set emulationstation to use alternative cores but can't find them. The script.gamestarter/retroarch/cores folder is empty.

Thanks again and all the best with your future endeavours

• Besides rom folder path, mame and fba should work using roms from that folder, and if you are using the correct romset for each emulator/core version they should run. But thanks for the advise, I use just one folder for both arcade systems and I am going to change as you say in order to separate both romsets.

About libretro cores, you can change path in retroarch settings but default one is /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores/ (you must have "see hidden files" enabled). When you download a new one using retroarch or the full lakka package using addon settings they are also downloaded to this folder.

• Besides rom folder path, mame and fba should work using roms from that folder, and if you are using the correct romset for each emulator/core version they should run. But thanks for the advise, I use just one folder for both arcade systems and I am going to change as you say in order to separate both romsets.

About libretro cores, you can change path in retroarch settings but default one is /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores/ (you must have "see hidden files" enabled). When you download a new one using retroarch or the full lakka package using addon settings they are also downloaded to this folder.

Thank you for the speedy reply.

Yes my romsets could also be an issue as I've not actually tested all the games yet, this is why I asked about adjusting the cores. Hidden folders is where I have gone wrong most likely. The heatwave has got to me, a schoolboy error on my part.

Thanks again for your time

EDIT

I actually had hidden files shown. I had downloaded the mame2010 core in retroarch as that usually covers most games. It wasn't showing in that folder you pointed to but now it is. Strange! Thanks again

Edited once, last by Honosuseri (July 5, 2017 at 9:22 PM).

• I need to test it myself, but I think they must download to libretro-cores folder... it is weird... do you see if it is located in /storage/.kodi/userdata/Addon_data/script.gamestarter/retroarch/download ?

• I need to test it myself, but I think they must download to libretro-cores folder... it is weird... do you see if it is located in /storage/.kodi/userdata/Addon_data/script.gamestarter/retroarch/download ?It

It was strange, the "default" cores were showing but not the additional cores I had downloaded. Then none were showing, it might just be winscp being silly reconnecting. I eventually got them showing so made some edits, adding some extra systems and set the retroarch cores I wanted. I have about 20 systems setup now and they do work with the comic strip theme. It looks amazing! :D

I think I might have "overloaded" it though as it takes a looong time to quit ES and restart KODI. I have just run the update for your addon and the update/reinstall ES option. It hasn't helped, I suppose I can live with it for now. Scummvm also seems to cause some weird issues when I quit the games. I know it's an oddball core with retroarch so please don't think I am blaming you.

Thanks again for your time and your rapid responses. I'm aware there might always be bugs or niggling issues. Overall I'm really enjoying revisiting it though, I can really see the improvements from when I last used your addon late last year.

All the best

• Great add-on, appreciate your work. Small question I have my Xbox 360 wireless controller paired to my Raspberry Pi and it functions fine with the GameStarter add-on. One remark dough is that the light circle of the Xbox controller keeps on flashing. Normally if it is paired it shows on what led it is connected. How to do that?

• Great add-on, appreciate your work. Small question I have my Xbox 360 wireless controller paired to my Raspberry Pi and it functions fine with the GameStarter add-on. One remark dough is that the light circle of the Xbox controller keeps on flashing. Normally if it is paired it shows on what led it is connected. How to do that?

does it also flash in kodi? LibreELEC version?

• Hi there!

Currently happy user of "LE8" (Extended) RPi distro but like to play with your addon as is more focused to Pi users (Pi3 here). Some question on the table:

1) Like to play your add-on with a vanilla LE8 installation. Some build recommendation..?

2) For the "milhouse" testbuild (LE9), I know retroarch is included on the master branch.. Do you still recommend it better to start on, or definitely go for option 1 at this time (Alpha1)...?

** Using HDMI output @ 1080p & DualShock4 as playable controllers.

Cheers and kudos for your great effort...!

• 1- Just LE 8.0.2 and Gamestarter v2.9 for LE8

2- There is no Retroarch in LE9, it ships with Retroplayer embedded, a player based on libreto, so it uses cores as Retroarch does but it is integrated in kodi's frontend. I have created both Retroarch and Emulationstation addons for Retroplayer that work with retroplayers installed cores.

Milhouse build's are testbuilds for developers and beta testers, so you expect issues and bugs. I personally switched to L9alpha because of Netflix addon that is working quite well in current builds. But if you don't want any headache or struggling with issues/bugs I recommend you to stay in LE8 until LE9 become more stable (beta versions).

• Hello! I just installed Kodi on my Raspberry Pi 2 the other day. I'm working on getting the roms working. I installed Gamestarter and Auto Launcher but when I launch a game, it just reboots Kodi. To me, it seems like it doesn't have an emulator to launch into. Does installing Auto Launcher auto-install emulators or do you need to add your own emulators? I have been trying to add my own through "install from a zip file" and am having a TON of troubles. Any info/advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!