Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• I was actually able to get my DS4 working great over bluetooth with the tutorial from the Lakka documentation. Try this: Lakka documentation - Wireless Dualshock
    [hr]
    I'm having issues in AEL with my N64 roms showing up under Playstation, and my Playstation roms showing up under N64. If I delete from the launcher under one system, it deletes it in both. Any ideas as to why this would be happening or how to fix it?

I found where is the issue with PSX and N64... they have the same category ID in default categories.xml file... sorry... I hace just fixed for upcoming next release.
    You can edit categories.xml in ael user addon folder and replace line 722 with another random number like this:

Code
    <platform>Nintendo 64</platform>
      <categoryID>2b494a422afb2474f89a7b693328fe64</categoryID>

About DS4, I'm happy to hear that, I will recommend that link for other user with same problem.

EDIT: I discovered that I was wrong, previous correction will not fix your issue because categoryID is the parent category, it is not related with emulator... you can try to see launcher settings for both of them using context menu and try to check out if something is wrong...

• I'm having some fundamental probs with this addon. The patient is a rasp pi 3 & it uses a USB for the storage. Today I formatted the stick (ext4) and LE 7.0.3 started just fine - and with a clean slate. I installed the v2.7 OLE zip & rebooted. Launched the programs/gamestarter and rebooted after I saw the message telling me to reboot. I copied some roms to the roms directory via the network and rebooted just in case. From what I've read in this thread, I was hoping to see some configuration settings, but could not access them. The only new programs installed are gamestarter and advanced launcher. When I open gamestarter, I see the familiar retroarch program with a yellow "failed to save config" message. The font is "boxy" and there are black boxes in place of the icons I would normally see with retroarch. It kind of looked broken. I could not use the familiar Z and X keys to navigate and could not figure out how to add cores. There was The gamestarter log:

• tar: can't open '/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/data/retroarch.tar.gz': No such file or directory

• tar: unexpected end of file

• tar: short read

• :Gamestarter:: -> installing advanced launcher...

• tar: can't open '/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/data/plugin.program.advanced.launcher.tar.gz': No such file or directory

• Archive: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/data/advanced-launcher-2.5.8.zip

My addons log file says this:
    Failed to open /storage/.config/retroarch/assets/xmb/monochrome/font.ttf: No such file or directory
    Failed to open /storage/.config/retroarch/assets/xmb/monochrome/font.ttf: No such file or directory

For laughs I tried installing gamestarter v2.6 but it was the same. Am I missing something fundamental? Is there some sort of ssh command I need to type in? I see too many people saying it works. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

• it seems your zip is not properly downloaded, transfered or not installed ok. After downloading, transfer to Pi and make sure it has the same file size, then install from zip and wait until kodi says it is installed. If you see then in /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/data you must see missing packages you said: plugin.program.advanced.launcher.tar.gz, retroarch.tar.gz, ... Then run first time installation and wait until message prompts... there is no mistery...

• That was the only thing I haven't tried. Copied the zip right to the USB stick this time and installed directly from the stick instead of through the network. Seems like I'm in business. Thanks for helping the dummy. :)

• Hi BYI. I figured out a solution to playing vectrex with overlays. Maybe it's a possible update to your gamestarter.start script? Here's what I did (and it works perfectly).
    1. Copied the gamestarter.start to gamestarter2.start (I didn't want to mess things up).
    2. Modified line#96 so I could use my own config file. Changed to read like this (see the $2.cfg):

Code
    $DIR/resources/bin/retroarch -c "$2.cfg" -L $LIBRETRO_DIR/$1_libretro.so "$2"  &>  $LOG_FILE_RA

3. Redid my vectrex config files. Very easy to do with a batch file. Each config file is a text file. The code for each text file is like this:

Code
    input_overlay = "/storage/emulators/roms/vectrex/overlays/Armor Attack.cfg"

4. The armor attack filename is "Armor Attack.bin". The config file is "Armor Attack.bin.cfg". The bin files and the cfg files are in the same directory. This filenaming structure is important.
    5. The vectrex overlays are in a folder called "overlays" (as you can see in the cfg file).
    6. The overlays directory has PNG files and config files. Config files in the overlays directory says something like this. Here's the code for "Armor Attack.cfg" located in the overlays directory:

Code
    overlays = 1
    overlay0_overlay = Armor-Attack.png
    overlay0_rect = "0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0"
    overlay0_descs = 0

6. Last but not least - change the es_system.cfg. You can see I called it vectrex_test and the caller is gamestart2.start to not mess things up (test and tuning purposes). I'm sure you can use the same modified gamestarter2.start launcher in something other than emulation station.

Code
    <system>
            <fullname>Vectrex_test</fullname>
            <name>vectrex_test</name>
            <path>/storage/emulators/roms/vectrex/</path>
            <extension>.bin</extension>
            <command>/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/gamestarter2.start vecx %ROM% ES</command>
            <platform>vectrex</platform>
        </system>

Anyway with all that done, it works like a champ. I'm not sure if you have a general wiki on setting things up, but pls feel free to share the info. I've googled quite a bit to find a solution, and there seems to be confusion on setting up vectrex overlays.

Thanks for putting together a great script.
    Tom

• thanks for sharing this walkaround for vectrex users!!

• Hi
    I´m a newbee and I´m not sure if this is the right thread.

My system is:
    Raspberry pi 3 with LibreELEC 7.02 and the Gamestarter Addon 2.7
    I paired a PS3 Controller (shown in the Bluetooth-Menue)

When I start a PS1 or N64 Game, the yellow font shows me "100% PS3 Controller..."

But when I want to use the controller, nothing happens.

Has anyone an idea, what I have to do?
    Thanks in advance :D

• Hi
    I´m a newbee and I´m not sure if this is the right thread.

My system is:
    Raspberry pi 3 with LibreELEC 7.02 and the Gamestarter Addon 2.7
    I paired a PS3 Controller (shown in the Bluetooth-Menue)

When I start a PS1 or N64 Game, the yellow font shows me "100% PS3 Controller..."

But when I want to use the controller, nothing happens.

Has anyone an idea, what I have to do?
    Thanks in advance :D

what about using it with usb wire?
    did you try another systems or these two are the only you tried?
    you can activate retroarch's debugging options and paste here log output.

Maybe I shouldn't ask this but..will this work on amlogic s905x boxes?

only Pi!

take a look to this:
    thread-302.html

• Sorry for my late respond, but I was very busy :)

With USB it works. I bought now also this Bluetooth Dongle
    CSL - USB nano Bluetooth-Adapter V4

and I upgraded to LibreELEC 8, but no change.

Should the PS3 Controller work also over Bluetooth in the Kodi menue, or just in Emulstation?

Edited once, last by nitr0burger (March 6, 2017 at 8:31 PM).

• Sorry for my late respond, but I was very busy :)

With USB it works. I bought now also this Bluetooth Dongle
    CSL - USB nano Bluetooth-Adapter V4

and I upgraded to LibreELEC 8, but no change.

Should the PS3 Controller work also over Bluetooth in the Kodi menue, or just in Emulstation?

Yes, after pairing it with kodi using LibreELEC settings addon, you should control kod with your gamepad. Firstly you must achieve this, then EmulationSation, RetroArch and emulators/cores will run ok.

• Yes, after pairing it with kodi using LibreELEC settings addon, you should control kod with your gamepad. Firstly you must achieve this, then EmulationSation, RetroArch and emulators/cores will run ok.

Do I need an addon for pairing, or is it possible to do this with board tools of Kodi 17 / LibreELEC 8?
    Sorry for my question, but I can not find a tutorial for paring.
    thread-3464.html
    This didn´t help.

• Do I need an addon for pairing, or is it possible to do this with board tools of Kodi 17 / LibreELEC 8?
    Sorry for my question, but I can not find a tutorial for paring.
    thread-3464.html
    This didn´t help.

Just go to settings> libreelec. Enable bluetooth, connect your DS3 with usb cable, go to bluetooth devices, it will appear, unplugg usb and press PS button... it should work, and you should controll kodi with your DS3.

• Hi all,

Since Retroarch 1.5 is out now (which contains important Netplay fixes to make it somewhat useable): is there any chance of getting a quick update for GameStarter?

Thanks a lot for your nice work!

• Hi all,

Since Retroarch 1.5 is out now (which contains important Netplay fixes to make it somewhat useable): is there any chance of getting a quick update for GameStarter?

Thanks a lot for your nice work!

Yes! You can download retroarch 1.5.0 for your LE version from here:
    builds

then you just need to rename it and replace it in /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch

By now I am not going to release a new addon update so this is the only way to update it.

I just tried itin my LE8 personal installation and it works ok.