Posts by tommyp

Hi BYI. I figured out a solution to playing vectrex with overlays. Maybe it's a possible update to your gamestarter.start script? Here's what I did (and it works perfectly).
    1. Copied the gamestarter.start to gamestarter2.start (I didn't want to mess things up).
    2. Modified line#96 so I could use my own config file. Changed to read like this (see the $2.cfg):

Code
    $DIR/resources/bin/retroarch -c "$2.cfg" -L $LIBRETRO_DIR/$1_libretro.so "$2"  &>  $LOG_FILE_RA

3. Redid my vectrex config files. Very easy to do with a batch file. Each config file is a text file. The code for each text file is like this:

Code
    input_overlay = "/storage/emulators/roms/vectrex/overlays/Armor Attack.cfg"

4. The armor attack filename is "Armor Attack.bin". The config file is "Armor Attack.bin.cfg". The bin files and the cfg files are in the same directory. This filenaming structure is important.
    5. The vectrex overlays are in a folder called "overlays" (as you can see in the cfg file).
    6. The overlays directory has PNG files and config files. Config files in the overlays directory says something like this. Here's the code for "Armor Attack.cfg" located in the overlays directory:

Code
    overlays = 1
    overlay0_overlay = Armor-Attack.png
    overlay0_rect = "0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0"
    overlay0_descs = 0

6. Last but not least - change the es_system.cfg. You can see I called it vectrex_test and the caller is gamestart2.start to not mess things up (test and tuning purposes). I'm sure you can use the same modified gamestarter2.start launcher in something other than emulation station.

Code
    <system>
            <fullname>Vectrex_test</fullname>
            <name>vectrex_test</name>
            <path>/storage/emulators/roms/vectrex/</path>
            <extension>.bin</extension>
            <command>/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/gamestarter2.start vecx %ROM% ES</command>
            <platform>vectrex</platform>
        </system>

Anyway with all that done, it works like a champ. I'm not sure if you have a general wiki on setting things up, but pls feel free to share the info. I've googled quite a bit to find a solution, and there seems to be confusion on setting up vectrex overlays.

Thanks for putting together a great script.
    Tom

I'm having some fundamental probs with this addon. The patient is a rasp pi 3 & it uses a USB for the storage. Today I formatted the stick (ext4) and LE 7.0.3 started just fine - and with a clean slate. I installed the v2.7 OLE zip & rebooted. Launched the programs/gamestarter and rebooted after I saw the message telling me to reboot. I copied some roms to the roms directory via the network and rebooted just in case. From what I've read in this thread, I was hoping to see some configuration settings, but could not access them. The only new programs installed are gamestarter and advanced launcher. When I open gamestarter, I see the familiar retroarch program with a yellow "failed to save config" message. The font is "boxy" and there are black boxes in place of the icons I would normally see with retroarch. It kind of looked broken. I could not use the familiar Z and X keys to navigate and could not figure out how to add cores. There was The gamestarter log:

• tar: can't open '/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/data/retroarch.tar.gz': No such file or directory

• tar: unexpected end of file

• tar: short read

• :Gamestarter:: -> installing advanced launcher...

• tar: can't open '/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/data/plugin.program.advanced.launcher.tar.gz': No such file or directory

• Archive: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/data/advanced-launcher-2.5.8.zip

My addons log file says this:
    Failed to open /storage/.config/retroarch/assets/xmb/monochrome/font.ttf: No such file or directory
    Failed to open /storage/.config/retroarch/assets/xmb/monochrome/font.ttf: No such file or directory

For laughs I tried installing gamestarter v2.6 but it was the same. Am I missing something fundamental? Is there some sort of ssh command I need to type in? I see too many people saying it works. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.