Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• Just tried mine tonight just in case after updating to 9.2 yesterday and it's working fine..I m on version 8.201.1...Rpi2

Try to force update all addons and rename the ES userdata folder and try again after a restart..

Code
    \\LIBREELEC\Storage\.kodi\userdata\addon_data\game.emulationstation

Also since LE9.1.xx ES needs Locale addon to work from LE repo..set Locale to your location example en_GB>UTF-8

Local Addon already installed and set.

I have remove my folder in userdata, and make a fresh install of the addon, but same result ...

Maybe a missing depandance on rpi4 ?

• Hi there, I'm on the RPi 4 and can't get RetroArch get to work on LE... As both as on the newest LE 9.2 as also on the previous version 9.0.2.

• I installed Retroarch 9.178.15 via Zip.
    • I also set up the folders (Retroarch folder and retroarch.cfg in the RA settings).
    • I use IAGL for searching for ROMS and locally download them to a USB Stick from where I load them.
    • I unchecked "Use Retroplayer Cores only"
    • I updated the libretro cores
    • I checked in the retroarch.cfg if the path to the cores is correct. Should be this one: https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armhf/latest/

But when I assign games to external launcher and want to start them I always get black screen or "Wait for IAGL script to launch" or something. Independent from which core / emulator I use.

When I go directly to RetroArch add-on I can select and play games. But if I hit core updater nothing happens.

Can anyone give me a hint what I can do to get it work in LE?

Sorry if it's the wrong place here...

Edited once, last by Cpt.Spaulding (December 4, 2019 at 8:54 PM).

• Hi there, I'm on the RPi 4 and can't get RetroArch get to work on LE... As both as on the newest LE 9.2 as also on the previous version 9.0.2.

• I installed Retroarch 9.178.15 via Zip.
    • I also set up the folders (Retroarch folder and retroarch.cfg in the RA settings).
    • I use IAGL for searching for ROMS and locally download them to a USB Stick from where I load them.
    • I unchecked "Use Retroplayer Cores only"
    • I updated the libretro cores
    • I checked in the retroarch.cfg if the path to the cores is correct. Should be this one: https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armhf/latest/

But when I assign games to external launcher and want to start them I always get black screen or "Wait for IAGL script to launch" or something. Independent from which core / emulator I use.

When I go directly to RetroArch add-on I can select and play games. But if I hit core updater nothing happens.

Can anyone give me a hint what I can do to get it work in LE?

Sorry if it's the wrong place here...

Hi,

I had a similar problem in my Pi 4 with Retroarch 9.178.15. After updating cores in the addon configuration, I ran the Retroarch addon but couldn't load any core, and nothing happened when i hit core updater. I had the same problem with the previous Retroarch 9.178.15 beta versión. Looks like the cores are not installed.

To update the cores, I installed a previous version of retroarch, updated the libretro cores, and then installed the new Retroarch versión 9.178.15. Then I could see and load the cores in the Retroarch addon.

In my case doing this, Retroarch is working fine as IAGL external launcher.

Sorry for my bad English

Exactly what you describe within the RetrArchAddon itself happens for me too.

Which older version of RA are you using that works for updating the cores? Would like to try that also... Thx in advance.

Interestingly adding games and running them inside the RA addon works for me, despite the fact i also could not update the cores...

• I discovered what this issue is, I am working on it... in the meanwhile you can still do "download lakka package" and then manually rename core folder inside "kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch". The issue is that downloaded core folder doesn't have the name "cores" but "libretro-cores-RPI*" so retroarch does not find them... Also you can edit retroarch paths to look for that new folder...

As soon as I can I will push an update.

EDIT: it should work now, with latest release, no need to update addon, just re-download cores from addon settings.

• I use RA 9.178.15 versión (the last one, not beta) as external launcher, and is working fine.

The previos RA version I used to download cores, mentioned in the previos post, was 8.177.14. Once I had the cores, installing the last version of RA it worked for me.

Be sure you have well defined Retroarch path in IAGL.

Maybe its not the correct way but you can try it.

And thank you so much bite_your_idols for your great work!

• Thank you bite_your_idols ! Really appreciated! :)

Edit: tried it now but still doesn't load games in IAGL..

Which RA version should be used? The one beta especially for RPi 4 that was linked here a few pages before?

How can I apply/download the complete core update fix?

core pack download fix · bite-your-idols/Gamestarter@134f6d7 · GitHub

You don't need to install/update anything in order this fix to work, it is just something I renamed in core package. Please before using IARL try to launch retroatch addon and load a rom, if it works then we know the issue is with IARL config, and it is not related to retroarch itself.

• You don't need to install/update anything in order this fix to work, it is just something I renamed in core package. Please before using IARL try to launch retroatch addon and load a rom, if it works then we know the issue is with IARL config, and it is not related to retroarch itself.

Thank you both for your Support!

I anyhow reinstalled RA addon directly from the repo (should be 9.178.15) updated cores with the addon setting and reassigned directories from "~/.config/retroarch/" (which seems to no longer exist, i cannot see it anymore in the LE directories) to "~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch/". I could sucessfully load and play SNES, Arcade/Mame and Dreamcast games (the only i tested) inside the launched retroarch addon. So this works! Maybe issue is related to IAGL config or maybe paths?

Edited 3 times, last by Cpt.Spaulding (December 10, 2019 at 7:36 AM).

• Thank you both for your Support!

I anyhow reinstalled RA addon directly from the repo (should be 9.178.15) updated cores with the addon setting and reassigned directories from "~/.config/retroarch/" (which seems to no longer exist, i cannot see it anymore in the LE directories) to "~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch/". I could sucessfully load and play SNES, Arcade/Mame and Dreamcast games (the only i tested) inside the launched retroarch addon. So this works! Maybe issue is related to IAGL config or maybe paths?

The path i have defined in IAGL for Retroarch as external launcher is:

storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch

• Ok, so I'm a little bit confused now... I have 3 possible retroarch folders on my RPi 4

• storage/.config/retroarch/
    • storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch/
    • storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch (as zarzamo mentioned)

How can I check/define which one the "active one" is to define it in IAGL settings for retroarch??

Furthermore if I'm on RPi 4 with Libreelec which have I to choose in the settings as system?

• Linux/Ubuntu?
    • Retroelec?
    • Libreelec Remix?
    • Gamestarter Addon?

Set everything up but IAGL still not launches games if set to external launcher. Is the path wrong? (See screenshot):

Thx in advance!

Edited once, last by Cpt.Spaulding (December 12, 2019 at 3:08 PM).

• Hi BYi,

I have some issues with a fresh install :

1) Rasp Pi4B with 4GB

2) libeelec 9.2.0

I install Gamecenter from your Github repository, and then install RA and AEL.

On you wiki, you mention that before the first launch of AEL, I should : "download AEL assets using RA's addon settings".

I am not sure how to do that. I remember I had seen a menu in RA, offering to download assets, but no mention to AEL was done.

My other concern is that I started to run some Roms directly from RA.

And I have noted that even NES ROMs are running super slow.

Is there any issue known what would explain why NES,SNES are running so slow on a RASP 4B ?

I have tried many different cores to see if the sslowness was core depending, but I had the same results with every single one.

Is there any particular setting I should use to increase responsiveness ?

Thank you

Edited once, last by xiwanm: More details (December 13, 2019 at 5:38 AM).

• I have choosen gamestarter addon as system and the path to external launcher the one I have mentioned before. The ROMs are downloaded to the IAGL temp folder (IAGL addon default)

This are my settings in IAGL for N64 games:

• I have choosen gamestarter addon as system and the path to external launcher the one I have mentioned before. The ROMs are downloaded to the IAGL temp folder (IAGL addon default)

This are my settings in IAGL for N64 games:

Yeah! With exactly this settings it now also worked for me to launch games via IAGL with external launcher / retroarch. Only difference is I download games locally to a usb stick. Thank you very much! :)

• Hi all,

i see there is an update for retroarch. Version 9.181.16. But if I installed it on my RPi 4, it does not work to start games via IAGL again... Don't know if I have to change anything in directories or anywhere else... Could anyone advice?

A rollback to previous retroarch version works without problems.

• Hi all,

i see there is an update for retroarch. Version 9.181.16. But if I installed it on my RPi 4, it does not work to start games via IAGL again... Don't know if I have to change anything in directories or anywhere else... Could anyone advice?

A rollback to previous retroarch version works without problems.

It does work now. I downloaded the cores again via the setting option of retroarch addon after the update AND i updated the cores i wanted to use in the retroarch addon itself. Wasn't aware of it, but when i look into Zack Morris' installation wiki it indeed was required.... ;)