Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• I guess i will try to unpack raspbian deb and add scummvm files on my own. I guess i will only have to edit scummvm.sh inside script directory.

I think you will be missing raspbian libs in libreelec, but you can grab them also. If you finally make it run, please let me know and I could include it in gamestarter...

• DONE:
    I have changed /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.launcher/launchers.xml Scummvm launcher to

Code
    <application>/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/scummvm.sh</application>

and scummvm.sh include:

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    . /etc/profile

DIR="/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter"

systemd-run $DIR/resources/bin/scummvm.start "$@" &> /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.gamestarter/gamestarter.log

and scummvm.start include:

I have used precompiled image from scummvm page
    scummvm-1.9.0-raspberrypi.tar.gz
    and unpacked to /storage/scummvm with

Code
    cd /storage
    tar -xzf scummvm-1.9.0-raspberrypi.tar.gz

added from regular raspbian

Code
    libjpeg.so.62, libpng12.so.0

libraries into scumm lib folder (attached to the post). There is also libSDL2-2.0.so.0 library but scumm is hardlinked aginst this sdl2lib added to archive.

Also you should edit /storage/scummvm/scummvm.sh to allow parsing arguments to main executable:

Code
    rPi3:~ # cat /storage/scummvm/scummvm.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./scummvm $1

You have to use keyboard to quit this scummvm version. There is no bind to popup menu using joystick or i don't know any ;)
    I know that 99,99% of Gamestarter users will not need that but my son will not manage to save a game with RetroArch while he plays PuttPutt. He will certainly find S key on keyboard to save or L to load. Also now it is possible to play Secret of Monkey Island 2 - in liberetro port there is no way to pass copy protection screen :D

• congrats! and thanks for sharing your work.

I can see you could edit gamestarter.start and pass gamestarter.sh scummvm parameter instead of creating both scummvm.sh and scummvm.start. You just need to include another clause in case:

Code
    "scummvm") echo '::Gamestarter:: -> launch SCUMMVM'  >>  $LOG_FILE
    echo Starting up scumm >> $LOG_FILE
    cd /storage/scummvm/
    ./scummvm.sh --joystick
      ;;

with that is is so easy to include it as an optional addon installation and could be selected as default scummvm launcher from settings just as amiga one.

anyways, good work!!

• I was thinking about this solution but I'm not a bash expert so I decided to do it this way. At the begining I as was not able to understande how did you manage to invoke certain scripts. It works but maybe i will find some time to do it your way. I'm aware that i made it in a bit improper way.

Edited once, last by Szymon_Zy (December 2, 2016 at 8:38 AM).

• I was thinking about this solution but I'm not a bash expert so I decided to do it this way. At the begining I as was not able to understande how did you manage to invoke certain scripts. It works but maybe i will find some time to do it your way. I'm aware that i made it in a bit improper way.

dont worry, I am not an expert neither. If ot works, it is ok XD

about log, yes, everytime addon is launched log start over.

• Hi bite_your_idols,
    I installed your last build (never done before :angel: ). Nice job, really!!!

A little question. Which release of Advanced Launcher are you using? The old and deprecated one or Advanced Emulator Launcher -now on 0.9.4 - (GitHub - Wintermute0110/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher: Emulator frontend and launcher for Kodi)? After installing Gamestarter I continue to see only my old Advanced Launcher addon 2.5.8.

in LibreELEC 8 version Advanced Emulator Launcher is included. Version for LibreELEC 7 and previous OpenElec versions comes with old advanced launcher since AEL is not compatible with kodi versions older than 16.

• Thx for the replay.
    AEL does't support Jarvis? I Remember Yes jarvis, no krypton. But maybe I Remember wrong.

About libretro cores: have you compiled it from the source code or they are grabbed from other build/release?

Edited once, last by lollo78 (December 3, 2016 at 11:39 PM).

• Thx for the replay.
    AEL does't support Jarvis? I Remember Yes jarvis, no krypton. But maybe I Remember wrong.

About libretro cores: have you compiled it from the source code or they are grabbed from other build/release?

yes, it works in jarvis and krypton but it doesn't in previous ones, and gamestarter should work in openelec 6 and 5.

About cores, some are compiles by me, some from lakka and retroarch, some from escalade's build XD

• Hi there
    I managed to get it working on my RPI2. It was actually very easy.
    I also installed internet archive ROM launcher. I am having some issues with setting up the addon. I ran through the setup guide but whenever I launch a ROM the system says "working" and then stops without lancing the rom.

• ;)
    Please check your script and add the creation of the playlists folder, without it I was unable to scan my romsets, also after the database update.
    I had to manually add this folder.

If I try to scan my mame2003 or Fba romsets folders, retroarch freeze. Scanning all the other platform working fine. I have to understand why. I'll try to compile a new commit for RA and mame2003 core to see if the issue remain.

EDIT: I compiled But nothing. It freeze when I try to scan directly for retroarch gui a full romsets of mame2003 and fbalpha. Strange issue. It appens also to you?

Edited once, last by lollo78 (December 5, 2016 at 7:52 PM).

• Hi there
    I managed to get it working on my RPI2. It was actually very easy.
    I also installed internet archive ROM launcher. I am having some issues with setting up the addon. I ran through the setup guide but whenever I launch a ROM the system says "working" and then stops without lancing the rom.

IARL is a little tricky sometimes, I rally don't know exactly how to make it work.
    If you have followed this https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Gamestarter-Pi/issues/31]"guide" and read this instructions, only thing I can tell you is o take a look to the logs and contact creator in kodi forums or github (I think he is not over here yet.)

;)
    Please check your script and add the creation of the playlists folder, without it I was unable to scan my romsets, also after the database update.
    I had to manually add this folder.

If I try to scan my mame2003 or Fba romsets folders, retroarch freeze. Scanning all the other platform working fine. I have to understand why. I'll try to compile a new commit for RA and mame2003 core to see if the issue remain.

EDIT: I compiled But nothing. It freeze when I try to scan directly for retroarch gui a full romsets of mame2003 and fbalpha. Strange issue. It appens also to you?

Oh! what a strange issues about folders and playlists... I need to try bioth and will post results. Thank you very much for your report.

• Hi, I am having problems getting sound from the system, it has all installed ok. I though it may be a problem with the audio device being wrong so I tried to run the command aplay -L but I get an error saying no sound cards found.

This is running on version 7.02 of libreelec on a raspberry pi 3, does any one have some pointers to help me enable audio.

• Im using RPI 3 with libreelec and this addon.

1. How to optimize the performance on n64 and psx. my games are running not smooth and are lagging horrible..
    2. My games are starting on a detected core for psx. How can i change the core and what are the best cores for psx and n64?
    3. How can i use external emulators for IARL (which is a super nice plugin, ty for this one)