RPi5 won't boot.

• I've got an RPi 5 which has been running 12.0-nightly-20240426 since, well, probably April 26th or 27th, and all has been good.

I turned the TV on this evening to watch, and found that LibreELEC was hung, totally non-responsive. I powered off the Pi (held the power button until it shut down), and now, when I turn it back on, it won't boot - it gets to the logo screen and shows the build version in the top left corner, but that's as far as it seems to get.

I've powered off & on several times. One time, I got messages about failure to start sshd, smbd, and one other *d, but generally, it just hangs on the logo & version screen.

Unfortunately, it's not getting far enough for me to connect to it with the Kore remote, via Windows exploder or ssh (it gives a login prompt, but after typing in a uid, it never prompts for a pwd). SSH did finally come back (after about 2-3 minutes), gave me a pwd prompt, but told me that the remote unexpectedly closed the connection:

What are the recommended steps from here?

I did pull the SD card and ran chkdsk from my Win10 machine - if found no errors.

Edited once, last by Free Man: Merged a post created by Free Man into this post. (May 14, 2024 at 12:05 AM).

• Go to Best Answer
  • After leaving it alone for 10+ minutes, I saw this on the monitor:

Several minutes (maybe another 10?) later, it had finally booted up.

Installing 20240505 on it now.

Still open to suggestions on what happened & why and if there's anything I might be able to do to prevent this in the future.

• I powered off the Pi (held the power button until it shut down), and now, when I turn it back on, it won't boot...

Bad idea. That's not a proper shutdown. Install from scratch, or use a Linux repair tool.

• Sigh. Got 20240505 on the RPi and now it's stuck with the version string in the top left corner of the screen. No LibreELEC logo.

I've watched a 10 minute video on something else and done other work, so I've let this sit for a fair bit of time.

Suggestions? Can't connect to the box to grab any logs...

Thanks guys. Didn't refresh the page before posting again. Will try rebuilding the SD card.

That's not a proper shutdown

Yeah, I know, but sometimes it hangs and that seems to be the only option available. (Had this on my old machine running several older versions of LibreELEC, too - not just this RPi).

• Guess something broke the SD card. I formatted then reran the SD card maker and it boots now.

Just have to reconfigure everything. Sigh. Shrug. The price of living on the bleedin' edge, I guess...

• Just have to reconfigure everything. Sigh. Shrug. The price of living on the bleedin' edge, I guess...

There are two types of computer user: those who are religious about taking backups, and those who didn't lose all their data yet.

The LE settings add-on has a backup function. Explore it.

• There are two types of computer user: those who are religious about taking backups, and those who didn't lose all their data yet.

The LE settings add-on has a backup function. Explore it.

Yeah. Thanks. I was thinking about that after I had to rebuild the SD card...

Funny, I've been using Kodi since I hacked my first XBOX and this is the first time I've had it totally fail like this. (i.e. those who haven't lost data yet.)

I've tried backing up the library & restoring as I've upgraded hardware, but never had that been successful.

• I'm sure you'll be pleased to know, chewitt, that I now have the backup add-on installed and it's currently running with a weekly backup scheduled. :D

And, it's backing up to a network location that will then be backed up off-site in case the unthinkable happens. Because, of course, if a tornado hits my house, the most important thing is that I be able to get Kodi back up and running ASAP! ROFL